Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Had (wet) dreams or nightmares?

Not at all Mike, just the passion and love about a car that was cultivated one race success one track dependable GT3 at the time. Maybe in your case it was cultivated in just a few short test miles that I for one have not yet experienced. You know I want to badly just did not want to put that much money at risk to try her without making sure she's disease free, but you of course could be much wiser than us 991GT3 virgins. I will have to wait to deflower one for sure.
The hunt is exciting, I'm playing hard to get and she will eventually put out on my terms.

And since when does love have to make sense right?
Some of both....all in all it was a good night.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
On the east coast they have been sitting outside exposed to the elements since the stop sale.
Jason -- They've got to check / change fluids, battery, etc...right?!?! And an allowance for us to have the detailer of our choice take care of the paint??? That's ridiculous.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
On the east coast they have been sitting outside exposed to the elements since the stop sale.

Where is this picture taken.... At the port yard or at the dealership yard? If at port they may not have control and especially if these cars have not gone through PDI and port authority will have the control where they are stored.
By the way I really like this gold color on car shown in picture. Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 648 Likes on 327 Posts

2 points, all just my opinion based on past experiences in other industries:

Q) why are people with upcoming delivery dates being told everything is on track?
A) multiple reasons...1)because they have to or people may start cancelling. 2) think about it...this is such a HUGE decision by the PAG board that there are probably VERY FEW people that really know exactly what is going on. So in reality, the answer the person at the other end of the phone gives is the ONLY answer they know. Since there is no official timeline, they are not authorized to give you anything more, even if there was anything more to give...which at this point there isn't. Besides, it IS on track right now. The engine is one of the last things to go into the car. At the factory, it takes a very short time. Move a 'new' engine vs. an 'old' engine into place and all is good. Minimal delay...

Q) why are they being so secretive?
A) my guess is that rubbaman is 100% correct. Like it or not, Porsche is a very big company, owned by a MUCH MUCH larger company. Can you imagine the time and effort it takes to get through all the red tape, meetings, calls, discussions, board members, etc. to make the decision to REPLACE EVERY ENGINE ON 785 of the PREMIER car that the company makes? Think about it for a second....how many of you work for a big company? How long does it take to make a MINOR change in ANYTHING?? This is soooo far out there that I'm sure its involved every lawyer and adviser in PAG and VW, not to mention all the discussion with all the NTSB type commissions WORLDWIDE to discuss solutions. Seriously...the fact that they've done this in a month is truly remarkable. So, while it's frustrating for all of you just waiting, there is no way they could just blurt out this or that without making sure EVERY SINGLE base is covered. Heck to get a simple line on a contract through legal used to take me over a week....

Think about it: 2 cars catch fire. On the surface...not a huge deal that needs addressing. Then someone suggests that something could be wrong. Someone in Marketing or PR says 'hey boss, we may have a problem'. As someone mentioned on this thread, the initial reaction from the Porsche engineering staff is "No way, we don't make cars with problems." Once they realize and accept that maybe there IS a problem, they can't replicate it to figure out a fix.

I'm guessing the only way they figured it out, was to get the burnt cars and trace back what happened. Once they dissemble the engines, they found the problem...but not what caused it I would assume.

Can you imagine the arguing going on between engineering and management??? Wouldn't we all love to be a fly on the wall of THOSE meetings??

In the end, the more I think about it, I applaud and am truly amazed that a company the size of Porsche would make the decision to take such drastic measure as to replace EVERY SINGLE engine. That is the true real life corporate definition of 'leaving no stone unturned'.

Full disclosure...I have no dog in this fight. I do not have one on order, nor do I ever plan to. I drove one of these and as much as they are an amazing car to drive and a marvel of engineering....I can't do the PDK..felt like I was driving a video game...but that has been hashed out long and hard and I won't rehash it. I am a big fan of Porsche - have owned many (currently 3) and very involved with PCA in many capacities. I want them to make this right for the sake of the company and its presence in the sports car world. I feel bad for you guys that are caught up in this, but I hope it all works out in the end...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
2 points, all just my opinion based on past experiences in other industries:

Q) why are people with upcoming delivery dates being told everything is on track?
A) multiple reasons...1)because they have to or people may start cancelling. 2) think about it...this is such a HUGE decision by the PAG board that there are probably VERY FEW people that really know exactly what is going on. So in reality, the answer the person at the other end of the phone gives is the ONLY answer they know. Since there is no official timeline, they are not authorized to give you anything more, even if there was anything more to give...which at this point there isn't. Besides, it IS on track right now. The engine is one of the last things to go into the car. At the factory, it takes a very short time. Move a 'new' engine vs. an 'old' engine into place and all is good. Minimal delay...

Q) why are they being so secretive?
A) my guess is that rubbaman is 100% correct. Like it or not, Porsche is a very big company, owned by a MUCH MUCH larger company. Can you imagine the time and effort it takes to get through all the red tape, meetings, calls, discussions, board members, etc. to make the decision to REPLACE EVERY ENGINE ON 785 of the PREMIER car that the company makes? Think about it for a second....how many of you work for a big company? How long does it take to make a MINOR change in ANYTHING?? This is soooo far out there that I'm sure its involved every lawyer and adviser in PAG and VW, not to mention all the discussion with all the NTSB type commissions WORLDWIDE to discuss solutions. Seriously...the fact that they've done this in a month is truly remarkable. So, while it's frustrating for all of you just waiting, there is no way they could just blurt out this or that without making sure EVERY SINGLE base is covered. Heck to get a simple line on a contract through legal used to take me over a week....

Think about it: 2 cars catch fire. On the surface...not a huge deal that needs addressing. Then someone suggests that something could be wrong. Someone in Marketing or PR says 'hey boss, we may have a problem'. As someone mentioned on this thread, the initial reaction from the Porsche engineering staff is "No way, we don't make cars with problems." Once they realize and accept that maybe there IS a problem, they can't replicate it to figure out a fix.

I'm guessing the only way they figured it out, was to get the burnt cars and trace back what happened. Once they dissemble the engines, they found the problem...but not what caused it I would assume.

Can you imagine the arguing going on between engineering and management??? Wouldn't we all love to be a fly on the wall of THOSE meetings??

In the end, the more I think about it, I applaud and am truly amazed that a company the size of Porsche would make the decision to take such drastic measure as to replace EVERY SINGLE engine. That is the true real life corporate definition of 'leaving no stone unturned'.

Full disclosure...I have no dog in this fight. I do not have one on order, nor do I ever plan to. I drove one of these and as much as they are an amazing car to drive and a marvel of engineering....I can't do the PDK..felt like I was driving a video game...but that has been hashed out long and hard and I won't rehash it. I am a big fan of Porsche - have owned many (currently 3) and very involved with PCA in many capacities. I want them to make this right for the sake of the company and its presence in the sports car world. I feel bad for you guys that are caught up in this, but I hope it all works out in the end...
+1
well put and great reflection, and have to agree with most of what you said. However it is hard not to feel disappointed after paying $150K for the car and not able to drive it, and of no fault of our own, and not mentioning many of us got rid of our dedicated track cars for this car and now our track plans are ruined. But I have to agree it is remarkable what Porsche has done or what is able to accomplish in a very short time and the drastic corrective measures they are taking to correct the problem. Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

If I want to sound funny and lighten the atmosphere up a bit,I'd say the Corporate final conclusion after one hell of a thorough investigation alongside Engineering was that all factory torque wrenches need to be recalibrated.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 648 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
+1
well put and great reflection, and have to agree with most of what you said. However it is hard not to feel disappointed after paying $150K for the car and not able to drive it, and of no fault of our own, and not mentioning many of us got rid of our dedicated track cars for this car and now our track plans are ruined. But I have to agree it is remarkable what Porsche has done or what is able to accomplish in a very short time and the drastic corrective measures they are taking to correct the problem. Mark
I can totally understand the disappointment. I mentioned in another thread that if I had one, I would have cancelled my order or returned the car for my money back immediately, gotten something else to play with for a year or so, then revisited it when the bugs are worked out.

In a not nearly the same scenario but related...I can sympathize with your frustration of your track plans being ruined: my dedicated track car (light blue 914 in my avatar) has been having issues for the past year - spinning bearings, broken rod (must have the same bolts that PAG is using... - we think we've figured out the problem, and should have had the car back together and running in January...except the supplier of the custom worked crank has delayed it's delivery by 3 months now...sidelining me since November....

This is supposed to be our FUN...right??
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
If I want to sound funny and lighten the atmosphere up a bit,I'd say the Corporate final conclusion after one hell of a thorough investigation alongside Engineering was that all factory torque wrenches need to be recalibrated.
You may not be far from the truth. I honestly don't believe it is a supply issue nor a design issue. With the latest cad and transient analysis tools, it is hard to imagine their engineers under designed the bolt or the connecting rod interface. They have spent thousands of ours verifying their design on test benches and through modeling and would have caught a bad design. I am convinced it is probably has to do with torque specification / procedure / calibration. So you may not be far from the truth!! Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
This is supposed to be our FUN...right??
Right! Most definitely
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Where is this picture taken....
The VW/Audi/Porsche port of entry @ Davisville.

By the way I really like this gold color on car shown in picture. Mark
It looks even better in person! I don't think I could drive around in a gold Porsche but I definitely liked the color.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jason

How many GT3's were there?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
How many GT3's were there?
I didn't bother counting but my photos are 3k resolution so we could figure it out from them.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

You may not be far from the truth. I honestly don't believe it is a supply issue nor a design issue. With the latest cad and transient analysis tools, it is hard to imagine their engineers under designed the bolt or the connecting rod interface. They have spent thousands of ours verifying their design on test benches and through modeling and would have caught a bad design. I am convinced it is probably has to do with torque specification / procedure / calibration. So you may not be far from the truth!! Mark
or manufacturing quality issues c.f: the expansion bolts on the new bay bridge ...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like 18
Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok verdict : some bad rods and bolts and everyone gets a new motor ....Come on does this make everyone happy now? Oh forgot... kick in that you can drive a car like a Turbo until yours is finished...oh happy day, Problem Solved!

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?