Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Will the 'WhatEverOther' hue offered as the second 'Special Color' also have its own coordinated deviating stitching? It depends. If the color is indeed 'Purple', I doubt it! Only light deviating stitching colors contrast well against a 'black leather & alcantara interior'. 'Purple' stitching on 'black/alcantara' seats, steering wheel, dash & door panels would be pointless since it would be hardly noticed. Interestingly though, the standard 'GT Silver' deviating stitching would go great with a 'Purple' exterior color gt3 RS. It would be very elegant & stylish. If the 'WhatEverOther' special color turns out NOT to be 'Purple' but is instead a bright 70's vintage color, we could well see a second coordinated stitching color to match! In general with the gt3 RS series, the less exterior color choices offered, the better coordinated the RS interiors are to the limited exterior colors offered. A mouthful to say...but I hope you understand the peculiar 'Porsche Exclusive' logic behind it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo, thank you for your thoughts!

What is your expectation for the mystery purple? Do you think we may see a light purple hue to contrast with the vents and so on?

The only 911s I have seen in purple are in darker purples or plum. A light purple then could represent new ground?!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 PM
dane1984
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the 2 last colors ...
http://cdb.vwcolor.info/de/AdvancedS...rsenessGroup=0
Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dane1984
Take a look at the 2 last colors ...
http://cdb.vwcolor.info/de/AdvancedS...rsenessGroup=0
Sorry, link not working for me. Post screen shot instead? thanks
Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
One point of clarification: my satin vs gloss comment was referencing wheel finish whereas it sounds like you're addressing the earlier rumored matte body finish...Otherwise, agree with all your comments. And no question lighter colors will play best on this RS though there will still be those that want to "murder it out" in triple black....
Sorry. I misunderstood that satin comment. 'Black' could well be the much requested '5th' color choice by dealers & VIP customers. And it might force PAG to make it available...just as 'White' was pushed by dealers & VIP customers into a reality with the MY2007 .1 997 gt3 RS!

Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks for the interesting recap of RS colours Eduardo! Regarding the comment above, are you suggesting the RS will have significantly more outsourced body panels than the GT3? If not, and assuming production numbers will not be an order of magnitude smaller than the GT3, why not offer at least as many colour options as the GT3? Do you think it is more an issue of creating distinction from the lesser 911 lineup through the use of a limited colour palette than of production capacity? I think it would be really great to see black, SB, RY, etc, as options too. And PTS would be SOOOO special on this car. I really hope it becomes available. To my mind, at the very least, it's hard to imagine 918 customers not being offered PTS.
a) As to outsourced body panel, I believe it will have a few more than a 991 gt3. But that is not the sole reason for restricting the color palette offered. As you say, the 991 gt3 presently offers more choice & also has a few outsourced panels that come 'just in time' & 'just in sequence' for final assembly in Zuffenhausen. But for sure is the reason for not experimenting with 'matte' or 'frost' finishes seen in some MB's, Audi's & BMW's.

b) The above only matters in relation to PAG wanting to simplify production to insure absolute best QUALITY CONTROL on this, their top GT model in the 911 line.

c) PAG's recent history is one of offering limited colors on their gt3 RS's...but making those few count! To paraphrase wording often used by our current president 'Colors that punch above their weight'. To the general public & to devoted enthusiasts of the marque, MY2007/MY2008 'RS Orange' & 'RS Green' stuck a cord in their collective imagination which will persist for a generation of admirers! So it doesn't surprise me that PAG intends to do the same on the 991 gt3 RS by offering just a few colors on this limited run go cars. But, if it is to repeat history, PAG will make at least two of those colors very MEMORABLE. And invariably, these two 'special colors' will be permanently linked to whatever imprint this model leaves as a legacy at Porsche!

Originally Posted by Dan39
Eduardo, thank you for your thoughts! What is your expectation for the mystery purple? Do you think we may see a light purple hue to contrast with the vents and so on? The only 911s I have seen in purple are in darker purples or plum. A light purple then could represent new ground?!
In principle I would love to see a 'Purple' offered by PAG on this model. Or a 'Signal Yellow'. Or a 'Voodoo Blau'. Or one of the many other bright colors that I know would compliment the body & aggressive lines of this 991 gt3 RS. Other than in the VW future color link, what are the other sources or info leaks that account for thinking 'Purple' will be the 'surprise' fourth color offered on this gt3 model?

Originally Posted by <3mph
Sorry, link not working for me. Post screen shot instead? thanks
I also can't have access to that link. But we previously talked about this piece of the puzzle regarding 'Lava Orange' at this forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11929568

Has the same been leaked about a 'Purple' for the 991 gt3 RS?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Hopefully there will be colour-matched deviated stitching like i have on my 7.1RS Still, if I get the allocation I am not going to quibble

Old 02-22-2015, 03:18 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Look forward to a new track app version
Suncoast now carries the infrared lap trigger. Only $1,000

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...91GT3EnginePER

I think if my RS comes through I will go sportchrono/track app delete.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Sadly, I've not seen anything official on the Purple - hopefully it's a good alternative or it'll be GT Silver for me.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Pete, can you elaborate in any way on what proposal that was? Was it a 911 derivative, the 960, or something entirely new?
911 derivative, I suspect a car we here would have killed for...
Originally Posted by Zeus
Also, the 8,800 rpm limit disappoints me less thanks to your math relating to piston speeds. In your opinion, is this attributed to a cost 'savings' on the part of the manufacturer (Porsche) or are we seeing the bleeding edge of technology here in regards to metallurgy science. In essence, if Porsche, Ferrari, etc., upgraded the metal used in these high(est) of performance street engines (pistons, rods, rod bolts, crankshaft, etc...) offered on the market today, could we see engines redlining at 10,000 or more RPM with durability remaining the same?
I think Porsche is very close to the limits of metallurgy with their target durability.

There is a tradeoff between longevity and RPM. In their race cars (RSR, etc) Porsche runs higher corrected piston speeds, but the price is frequent rebuilds. Two ring pistons (vs three in street cars) are lighter, allowing more revs, but they wear out and leak sooner. Similarly the titanium rods and aluminum pistons will reach their fatigue life sooner, but that's fine if you're rebuilding an engine every 30 hours.

A street engine needs to be built to a longer lifespan, so one can't push as far. However at 8,800 rpm the 991 GT3 RS is pushing stresses and metallurgy as far as any street car I'm aware of: 26.74 m/s "corrected" piston speed is essentially equal the 918's 26.75.

For comparison other high revving and piston speed street car engines are lower: the LFA turns 9,500 rpm, but the short stroke means corrected piston speed is 26.2.
S2000 @ 9k rpm is 25.7
RS5 at 8.4k and a long 92.8mm stoke is 24.8 (despite a higher uncorrected piston speed of 26 m/s).

Porsche could easily turn 10k rpm by shortening the stroke and increasing bore, but with an engine of the current dimensions I don't think there is anything they could do to get significantly more revs. Slightly more, ie 9k rpm, might be possible by pushing and eating into the margin of error, but 10k is not technically possible at the moment with street durability, likely regardless of the money spent.

Bikes are the only street engines I know that push higher, the BMW S1000RR for example is up at 29.4 m/s corrected, but I suspect this is because their longevity targets are much lower.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

I think Porsche is very close to the limits of metallurgy with their target durability.

There is a tradeoff between longevity and RPM. In their race cars (RSR, etc) Porsche runs higher corrected piston speeds, but the price is frequent rebuilds. Two ring pistons (vs three in street cars) are lighter, allowing more revs, but they wear out and leak sooner. Similarly the titanium rods and aluminum pistons will reach their fatigue life sooner, but that's fine if you're rebuilding an engine every 30 hours.

A street engine needs to be built to a longer lifespan, so one can't push as far. However at 8,800 rpm the 991 GT3 RS is pushing stresses and metallurgy as far as any street car I'm aware of: 26.74 m/s "corrected" piston speed is essentially equal the 918's 26.75.

For comparison other high revving and piston speed street car engines are lower: the LFA turns 9,500 rpm, but the short stroke means corrected piston speed is 26.2.
S2000 @ 9k rpm is 25.7
RS5 at 8.4k and a long 92.8mm stoke is 24.8 (despite a higher uncorrected piston speed of 26 m/s).

Porsche could easily turn 10k rpm by shortening the stroke and increasing bore, but with an engine of the current dimensions I don't think there is anything they could do to get significantly more revs. Slightly more, ie 9k rpm, might be possible by pushing and eating into the margin of error, but 10k is not technically possible at the moment with street durability, likely regardless of the money spent.

Bikes are the only street engines I know that push higher, the BMW S1000RR for example is up at 29.4 m/s corrected, but I suspect this is because their longevity targets are much lower.
Pete great explanation

Just speculation, what engine "design"
do you think the next .2 RS ( if any ) might be based
to get the more hp torque?
(assuming NA no turbo nor kers)
Old 02-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

I'm longing for Evo's 991GT3RS interview with Andreas Preuninger...
Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

I feel like Porsche has never really engaged in HP wars, and they have typically been rather content to offer only small HP bumps from generation to generation. My uneducated guess was 505-510hp. Maybe the .2 will be NA and they are saving some room for that model?

At the HP levels these cars are at now, I think we are starting to see diminishing returns. At least on a circuit.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

keeping the same 991 impressive piston speed as of today and avoid reliability
issues ( Mezger 997.2 RS 4.0 either if not correlated i ve just seen 1 exploding oil circuit on track)

the RS 991.2 should increase bore only to 4.2 and keep current stroke
so piston speed the same either the reliability
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

S2000 @ 9k rpm is 25.7

Thank you so much Pete for very informative explanation!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM
dane1984
Advanced

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Take a look at this:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3906/8j5ebgk3_jpg.htm
Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by dane1984
Interesting. Darker but similar to Audi Merlin. Color representation always questionable online.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread