Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The suspense is crazy, just got off the phone to my salesman, I'm #3 on the list and he hasn't heard anything about allocations either...
Old 02-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard from my salesman this afternoon ; he is seeing the rep next Wednesday and hopes to have something to pass along . Would be great since he knows precisely nothing now .
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
You're making the wait even worse!!

Yes i think you mean the front air splitters. Maybe It's an option?

All the test mules in the nurburgring videos had the front splitters on them, but on the other hand, the front fenders inlets were closed! Maybe they both have the same effect at the end?

Karim
I believe he was referring to the canards on a 4.0 like the curved silver between the wheel and front intake here:

Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpstone
:-) so far i can confirm that the german dealers have no previews like the italian which i dont understand at all! I am one of the best customers here in a big german city with ie current turbo s and now having an option on the gt3rs! They dont know anything about specs but know that production starts soon, they get 5 allications for larger porsche dealers and smaller 2-3! They say the time is very short that car will be built so naturally the numbers being built will be low too! They even cant confirm geneva so far and i know several dealers and also people in marketing at p. Ag! What i dont understand is that the italians (def not the most important market compared to us, uae, saudi, russia, germany) have so many information! Its hard to believe honestly! Thats what i know - i will go to geneva anWays on the 5. march and than we will see! Cheers
Thanks - at least your guys have an estimate of numbers. There is a PCNA meeting this week in the US from what I understand, no new details yet though...
Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

1400 kg will be with empty tank and standard (light) equipment, porsche is quite transparent about this and figures are generally reliable whereas other manufactures tend to 'play' with these data (such as ferrari) so i expect 991 rs to be the lightest of the lot (for the moment)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I believe he was referring to the canards on a 4.0 like the curved silver between the wheel and front intake here:

Yes exactly.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter. Note I chose 996.2 GT3RS and 993GT2 as my references LOL! The 993RS was softer than the 964RS for sure. Far better road car from my experience as an owner. All of these cars had less electronics/nannies and more steering feel than the 4.0RS. I have had the pleasure of all of them other than the 993 GT2 (so few I dont think Ive even sat in one!). The CGT was like the 959 an anomaly. I dont think we can over emphasise how left of field it was for production based Porsches at the time and even now.

As for values of 991 GT3 and 991 GT3RS if what Pete says about these cars being even easy for a novice to drive quickly, is true, and I have to believe it is (as Im not a novice driver I wouldnt know LOL!) then demand for these cars downstream is going to be phenomenal in terms of the used market and residuals. Its going to be interesting if PAG can resist "opening te flood gates" on future GT models with the type of demand they are creating in new groups who have not before been able to exploit the performance of their flagship/halo model GT cars!

In terms of UK market - yet Peter the numbers were constrained but not as much as you think - infact over 220 units arrived there and that was MORE than 997.2 GT3 before it! Difference today is UK is in a Porsche feeding frenzy. The 991 GT3 was cheaper in UK than anywhere in the world at the time even the USA (a first). So it was seen as well "under priced". I believe the same constraints exist in South Africa, HK, Singapore & Australia. All RHD markets. Perhaps good for us RHD GT3 owners long term but otherwise perhaps an abnomallyyou state. Personally I believe the 991 Gt3RS will help psh the values of 991 GT3 up in teh states and Europe - demand for these csrs will be too late and they will have finished production before they become truely famous. Just a hunch...
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Yes i think you mean the front air splitters. Maybe It's an option?

All the test mules in the nurburgring videos had the front splitters on them, but on the other hand, the front fenders inlets were closed! Maybe they both have the same effect at the end?

Karim
The pic of the lava orange model car is for sure the final design, so no canards on the new RS but indeed the front fender inlets instead.

For me, canards will not even be an option.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ

These ones tks
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpstone
:-) What i dont understand is that the italians (def not the most important market compared to us, uae, saudi, russia, germany) have so many information! Its hard to believe honestly! Thats what i know - i will go to geneva anWays on the 5. march and than we will see! Cheers
You are right but if my memory is correct, before the crisis, Italian market was I think the 4th for Porsche. Not many years ago so..But still I am surprised as you
Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have had the pleasure of all of them other than the 993 GT2 (so few I dont think Ive even sat in one!).
The 993 GT2 is hardcore. Spring rates were straight off of the RSR of the day. In my experience doesn't feel as hard as you'd think largely because tires still had sidewalls back then. Much "heavier" feel than the RS, perhaps in part because of the wider rubber and alignment settings. I don't think it's a great data point to use, however, because it was essentially a pure homologation special that they only made ~50 of. I think Porsche in part scratches its head every time cars like it are prized, because the bulk of their market is so clearly going the other direction.

Originally Posted by Macca
As for values of 991 GT3 and 991 GT3RS if what Pete says about these cars being even easy for a novice to drive quickly, is true, and I have to believe it is (as Im not a novice driver I wouldnt know LOL!) then demand for these cars downstream is going to be phenomenal in terms of the used market and residuals.
I don't know about that... You don't buy an early 911 today because it's fast or easy to drive. Instead you buy it because for the experience, the fact that it's relatively uncompromising, and in part because of its reputation for being tricky to master.

Virtually every time I look at depreciation, the edgier and less practical the car the more it ends up being worth. A 2000 BMW Z3 M coupe is highly flawed and tail-happy, terribly impractical, slow (only 240 hp) but it's worth up to 2x the same year M5 or M3. The 2002 is similar speed to the M3 or 5 but it's far more expensive today, 2-3 times, despite starting as by far the cheapest. That's certainly not because it's easy or fast- it's focused and hugely involving in part because it's hard to drive.

930 values are going insane largely because they are "widow makers" I suspect. The 996 TT is "easy" and fast, especially with tiptronic. Didn't do it much good on the value front, did it? It'd argue the earlier GT3s were clearly closer to the 930, the 991 GT3 has moved the model towards the 996 TT. We'll see where values go, but I wouldn't buy one for an investment, put it that way...
Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
The 964 RS to 993 RS is a different story- there we saw a step change.

Yes, and the 964 3.8 RS is the most marvelous beast of all....
http://www.classicdriver.com/en/arti...ion-dollar-964

I think we've just seen another, even larger step change with the latest generation of top cars from Porsche. The 991 GT3 is a car everyone can go fast in instantly:

The 991 GT3 was one of the easiest car to drive fast out of a group test of 14 cars. And that's the most driver's focused car Porsche currently sells. Can you imagine saying that about a Carrera GT, or a GT2 RS? Not even close- they'd be among the hardest. We've just witnessed the passing of an era: Porsche no longer build professional grade cars. Not because of the engine or parts sharing, but because of the philosophy. Before they used chassis improvements as a way to add power, but if they're not building a GT2 that's clearly no longer the case. And the fear is they won't ever be the case again.

The GT4 is a car for the purist to some extent sure, but is it a hardcore drivers car? A car for a pro? No... It seems like Porsche built those cars just yesterday, but they don't any more. And they've applied professional grade encryption to their ECUs to make sure we can't build them either!

The writing might well be on the wall. Doesn't mean I like it. At all.
Agreed on the second point as well, but it probably has as much to do with the outcome of the VAG/PAG war and global regs as anything else....
Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

someone posted a draft of the Euro spec sheet & order guide on ferrarichat

Bill
Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Copy it hereeee!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:20 PM