Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Audi's own web site lists the current R8 with a curb weight of 3583 lbs, the R10 @ 3737, and the R10+ @ 3605.

I don't believe the new R10+ will be anywhere close to 3200 lbs.
Huracan is 3,135 lbs dry weight - so not much of a reach that the audi would be only a little heavier. Still significantly heavier than a 650S spyder at 2,956 dry weight.

Audi has also been on an aggressive weight reduction across their models. New Q7 is up to 700lbs lighter, S3 is 3,450 lbs vs S4 at 3,935 lbs - new S4 is expected to be closer to the S3 weight. They've been putting a lot of money into cutting weight, which was well overdue.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Quite funny. 6 in two years and no problems? Was the plastic even off the seats for any of them? If they are so great how come you needed 6?

My neighbor is a long time manager of the local Audi dealer, and has sold many to my partners. ALWAYS in the shop, and he admits openly they have their problems, if kept more than your 4 months/ car. VW even worse.

610 horsepower for this price range will simply be what everyone else has. All its competitors will have more by 50-100hp, and thats only this year.

Audi and VW are well known for their lack of reliability. You can believe otherwise but thats simply not factual in my world.
Angry much??

Why so many, because I get bored with cars. Just like I ran through a bunch of 911's. GT3 is a solid cure.

I've owned Audis, you've listen to people...I'll go with what I know as fact.

Either way
Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Audi's own web site lists the current R8 with a curb weight of 3583 lbs, the R10 @ 3737, and the R10+ @ 3605.

I don't believe the new R10+ will be anywhere close to 3200 lbs.
Originally Posted by kosmo
isnt the 3200 a DRY weight? so ~3400lb?
Anyway, the 911 is a bigger chassis to begin with.
CAR UK reports: "All told, the new R8 V10+ weighs 1454kg dry and 1555kg wet (without a driver), 15% less than before."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...ailed-preview/

That is 3206 pounds dry and 3428 pounds wet!

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
I've heard R8 design is going to Porsche in the coming years...
Originally Posted by NateOZ
Yeah - when the R8 design goes to Porsche it'll be interesting.
Originally Posted by Tre
Ah, thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a long range plan to share the new chassis design with Porsche.
Yes, the new R8 and Huracan was developed in-house at Audi. The next chassis was supposed to be assigned to Porsche for development. That is still a bone of contention within the VW Group 'sisters':

"Volkswagen Group is an enormous conglomerate that houses Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Ducati, and many others. Any business with that many branches is bound to have some infighting, so Volkswagen often plays the role of parental mediator to its subsidiary siblings. German designers think their concepts are better than everyone else’s? Who would’ve thought? According to Automobile Magazine, Audi’s R8 and A8 are at the center of the current drama.

Volkswagen Group has appointed Porsche as the lead designer for all of its sports and luxury cars in the coming years, and this doesn’t sit well with Audi, who some might label a competent architect in its own right. This has prompted Audi to fast track the next-gen R8 to a 2016 release, before Porsche’s replacement platforms take over. Until Stuttgart takes the reigns in 2021, the next R8 will use the mid-engine chassis from Lamborghini’s latest fighting bull, the Huracán.

Porsche believes its version of the R8 platform will be lighter, leaner, faster, and cheaper than the current version. Audi believes Porsche should stop touching its stuff. As for the A8, Porsche has some suggestions as well. The German sports car maker believes its Modular Standard Platform (MSB), which will underpin the next Panamera, should carry the next gen A8, as well as the A7 and A6. Audi, of course, isn’t as enthusiastic. A Volkswagen Group strategist, clearly taking the ‘Mom and Dad’ role to the Porsche/Audi sibling feud, explains that if Volkswagen Group is to move forward, its subsidiaries need to learn to get along.

“If we don’t call the shots here at HQ, Audi and Porsche will never get their acts together,” the strategist explained to Automobile Magazine. “What these guys fail to understand is that they have to cooperate, not fight each other. We need to prevent individual sports car architectures and excessive proliferation, and to make Porsche’s MSB mandatory for both brands.”

“It’s as simple as that,” the source continued, with an almost audible sigh of parental frustration. “And as difficult.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/do...#ixzz3SFj5AMaN

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Angry much??

Why so many, because I get bored with cars. Just like I ran through a bunch of 911's. GT3 is a solid cure.

I've owned Audis, you've listen to people...I'll go with what I know as fact.

Either way
I have over 4K miles on my '14 R8 V10 Spyder with an amazing manual gearbox. I love the car so much that I ordered their limited edition competition model which is getting built next month:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/a...etition-in-la/

i have never had an issue with the car except for A/C breaking when i first the car. it wasn't a big deal and was fixed by the dealer in a day... no other problems in almost a year of the car ownership...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
I have over 4K miles on my '14 R8 V10 Spyder with an amazing manual gearbox. I love the car so much that I ordered their limited edition competition model which is getting built next month: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/a...etition-in-la/ i have never had an issue with the car except for A/C breaking when i first the car. it wasn't a big deal and was fixed by the dealer in a day... no other problems in almost a year of the car ownership...
I would love to find a V 10 with a manual on the used market at some point… Can you explain to me in a few words why everybody on here seems to dislike it so much? I realize this is a slightly more hard-core crowd than most, but I have to imagine the overall ownership experience with the sound of the car, the manual Box etc has got to be pretty good? I keep hearing about under steering,… What speeds are we talking about?

Last edited by CAlexio; 02-20-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've had 3 r8 so far. Currently have a 6sp v10.
I've put 40k miles on the r8 collectively and have not had one single issue.
The best all around car out there. Na motor and great shifter.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 AM
inndee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To address a reoccurring theme in this thread regarding the "market" this car is aimed at, and specifically those who question its purpose when the standard GT3 is such an amazing road car while a purpose built race car is much better for the track:

There is a large group of enthusiasts who would drive cup cars on the street if we could. I think about what people like Eddie Hill drives:
http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48

There are many compromises made with any sports car versus a "road car". Having lived with far too many to count, things like having to throw open lambo doors to look over the roof of the car to wait for an opening in traffic in order to back onto the road versus a super stiffly sprung suspension are very different compromises. Form vs function is an adequate oversimplification. The thing I have always loved about a 911 is that it, more than any other, makes you feel like you have "just enough" with you due to weight restrictions. I love feeling like I could literally race right Now. All the time. That, to me, is what driving is about. Even though I love my '13 cayenne GTS with all the $125 sticker goodies, it's like being on a stroll-albeit a very fast and comfortable one, but a stroll nonetheless. I love to run, not stroll. As often as possible. But, as mentioned, I do have other cars, and I if could keep only one, it would be a 991 GTS RS (assuming my 3/13 deposit to be #2 on the list pans out) site unseen.

This car is for people that would drive a Lola on the street if they could, but on top of it being close to a race car that you can put plates on, it's the most bad -ss 911 ever built-for many reasons-more reasons than any other top 911 vs second tier in the past, including 996.

I think this car speaks better than any other before it to a group that will happily pick up every copy produced before the production line stops. The people that question this car's need vs a standard GT3 should not think once about a GT3 RS. This car is not for you.

For the rest of us-I think for all of the active aero, the exotic body panel materials, and the increase in power will be worth the price of admission over the already bargain GT3 alone. One way of looking at it-If you were crazy, and wanted to lighten your GT3 with the light panels, the body work and parts would be close to the price difference between the 3 and RS. Those that spend aftermarket money on their cars won't think twice about the price difference.

Just my .02
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I would love to find a V 10 with a manual on the used market at some point… Can you explain to me in a few words why everybody on here seems to dislike it so much? I realize this is a slightly more hard-core crowd than most, but I have to imagine the overall ownership experience with the sound of the car, the manual Box etc has got to be pretty good? I keep hearing about over stealing,… What speeds are we talking about?
Over steering or over stealing? Are we back to talking about the dealers again?

In my v8 R8 manual, I rarely see over-steering in spirited driving in back roads. But you will run into it at the track when pushing hard.

I believe it's a bit worse in the v10 model because of the added power and weight of the heavier motor!

I, for one, like the Audi R8. It's not as practical as a 911 (luggage space is minimal) but it's also not as ubiquitous as the Porsche. But it will not hold up on the track as well as a Porsche due to some weakness (e.g. braking). Plus so few are taken there that you'll be lonely tracking an R8. Part of the success of the 911 is how effective they are at the track and that is why you have so much company if you track a Porsche! So that is how I would describe the 'dislike' among Porsche 'aficionados' for the R8. For them, it doesn't measure up for 'hard' track duty and thus it's looked down a bit because of that. But in the hands of a competent driver, an R8 is an impressive machine at the track! And on public roads, anyone driving an R8 (v8 or v10) will feel like Allan McNish!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Thanks, great explanation as always… I meant understeer, not sure how over steal came out LOL
Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
CAR UK reports: "All told, the new R8 V10+ weighs 1454kg dry and 1555kg wet (without a driver), 15% less than before."

That is 3206 pounds dry and 3428 pounds wet!
Thank you, Eduardo, for the clarification; that's lighter than I expected. Still, with the new RS at an anticipated 1400 KG wet, (3080 lbs.) the R10+ will be almost 350 pounds heavier. The poster I was responding to was wondering how Audi could build a 600HP V10 with AWD that weighed only 150 pounds more than the new RS. The answer is, they couldn't.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Thank you, Eduardo, for the clarification; that's lighter than I expected. Still, with the new RS at an anticipated 1400 KG wet, (3080 lbs.) the R10+ will be almost 350 pounds heavier. The poster I was responding to was wondering how Audi could build a 600HP V10 with AWD that weighed only 150 pounds more than the new RS. The answer is, they couldn't.
I don t know the upcoming R8 specs

but the 610 HP V10 Huracan weight is phenomenal

Lambo Huracan 560Nm 610 HP V10 =
1.422*kg (3.135*lb)

Under over what?

Not alone in a 911 because has 50 years of history

not sure the new Huracan R8 platform will not burn us on track

Dear P if your sister can deliver a 5.2L V10 !! in only 1400 1450Kg

Can we expect you having close to half the cylinders less torque
much less HP
NoR the all wheel drive system

to deliver a 1330kg 991 RS?

or if you really cant because your chassis is steel based

And we know that steel chassis at same or close weight is much Much
better than Alu chassis so let s forget 1330kg RS in reality you did better at the end

but give us at least 550HP to keep us beating our sisters on R8??
Ok i see we have to wait .2 RS so to let them sell at least some R8 at the beginning ..fair enough they will never feel the liveness of 911 chassis this is the real difference against whichevet 4x8 and R8 /Lambo

Thank you

Last edited by fxz; 02-20-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Oh, I thought Ferrari owners didn't track their cars because they always fell apart? Not because they were more expensive! 😄😉
I track both my weekend cars. Never had anything fall off....
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the 1400KG wet on the RS will be only 1/4 a tank (smaller tank option) and in a light spec. There is a thread on here where someone weighed their 991 GT3 with LWBs and 3/4 tank (extended tank option) at 3,300 lbs. I think they had 25 lbs of gear in the car so call it 3,300 lbs total.

I plan on getting my RS in as light a spec as possible (PCCB, LWBs, radio delete etc) and one of the first things I want to do is put it on the scales.

Last edited by NateOZ; 02-20-2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 814 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby997
Any Canadians ordering the rs? Any idea how many the whole country would get? I'm in for one and hoping for the best that I will actually get an allocation.
I've had a deposit for almost 2 years, but I've become doubtful there will be an allocation for me.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I track both my weekend cars. Never had anything fall off....

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread