Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Ahh the Audi R8 V10 Plus still available with that analogue remnant....namely, 3rd pedal and metal gated shifter....or am I missing the definition of truly analogue?
Everyone defines analog or a pure sports car at a different point in transition from the first engine on wheels to a fully automatic car that does the driving for you.

A normally aspirated engine and manual gearbox are the big differentiators for most.

It's nice the R8 is a v10 and manual. I think companies still need to make those cars as options. However, I can't wait to drive my new 991 GT3 later this spring!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
It's nice the R8 is a v10 and manual. I think companies still need to make those cars as options.
I think they are either finished or nearly finished building that configuration (one of my favorite drives last year). New R8 to have DCT only...
Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think they are either finished or nearly finished building that configuration (one of my favorite drives last year). New R8 to have DCT only...
One bad thing about the enormous VW conglomerate is that so much of the same thought pervades all these previously independent companies like Porsche and Lamborghini.

VW seems determined to eliminate manual transmissions on all their cars.

I don't agree with the decision to go DCT only on their halo cars like R8, GT3, 911 turbo, Gallardo, I can understand that these cars are made in fewer numbers which better supports the argument of not spending research money to develop both transmissions.

However, given the large number of regular 911s and Boxsters that are made by Porsche, it would be an enormous shame if there was no manual offered in those cars in the future as is rumored.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-28-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
One bad thing about the enormous VW conglomerate is that so much of the same thought pervades all these previously independent companies like Porsche and Lamborghini.

VW seems determined to eliminate manual transmissions on all their cars.

I don't agree with the decision to go DCT only on their halo cars like R8, GT3, 911 turbo, Gallardo, I can understand that these cars are made in fewer numbers which better supports the argument of not spending research money to develop both transmissions.
Let's think this one over. VW's Audi does continue to offer a Manual on all three MY2014 R8 models - the v8, v10 and v10 Plus. Only on the special edition (333 units) the R8 v10 gt in MY2012 did they not offer a manual and limited to the R-Tronic, its older automatically controlled manual gearbox. But that was the exception. For MY2013/2014 Audi is offering a choice of a manual or a modern dual-clutch transmission. Let's see if Audi eliminates the former in the upcoming new version of the R8. I might happen...but for other reasons.

The culprit to the ultimate elimination of the manual transmission, if we need to single out someone in particular, is not a conspiracy at the VW auto empire. It is government fuel efficiencies & emissions regulations both here and in Europe. To meet these increasingly tougher requirements, auto manufacturers will have NO CHOICE but to eliminate the vagaries of an individual shifting the trans at his whim. The computers in these modern transmissions work in tandem with the engine's to create the most efficient use of fuel.

Remember also that the European home markets absolutely love dual clutch transmissions - F1, PDK, DCT! They associate these technologies with Formula cars, track racing and high tech chic. Manuals are what their grandmothers drive in their econoboxes or the proletariat have on their delivery trucks. In America, because of the pervasive nature of Detroit's automatics on our motorized landscape since the 1950's, we associate manuals with true 'sport cars'- Fangio, Porsches, Ferraris & romance! So keep in mind that the only real resistance to DCT in the entire WORLD is coming from 'traditionalist' within the larger totality of American car enthusiasts. Many within this minority are proud members of this forum - including me. Everyone else has drunk the Kool-Aid and is fully on board to relegate manuals to the dust bins of history!

I am a dedicated manual transmission guy. But I have seen the hand-writing on the wall. And it's not good news for my side.

Saludos & Happy Thanksgiving,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

It will be interesting to see how the Porsche 991 GT3 RS takes inspiration from the 2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

...the 991 GT3 RS should provide homologation for Porsche Motorsport's new 2014-spec Le Mans GT racer...

...the 2014-spec Porsche 911 RSR will debut this weekend with Porsche AG Team Manthey racing at the Bahrain 6-hour...

TOYOTA STILL TOP OF TIME SHEETS AS PORSCHE HEADS GTE BATTLE

28/11/2013 - 19h05

"Completed in the black of the night, as the final two thirds of Saturday’s 6 Hours of Bahrain will be, the second 90-minute free practice session has drawn to a close. Toyota Racing was once again at the head of the time sheets, but this time it was the No.8 TS030 Hybrid of Davidson-Buemi-Sarrazin who set the benchmark with a lap of 1:44.516, thanks to Swiss driver, Buemi. It wasn’t such a good session for the No.7 Toyota, as Lapierre had a brief visit to the gravel trap which caused the session to be stopped for him to be retrieved. Damage was minimal and the car continued to the chequered flag.

The order behind the leader was Audi-Toyota-Audi, with the No.1 showing the No.2 the upper hand. The gap between the four hybrid-powered cars was less than three tenths of a second – the anticipation for the race builds! Less than three seconds separated the factory entries from the No.12 Rebellion Racing Lola in fifth place overall.

In LMP2 Nicolas Minassian’s No.49 Michelin-shod Pecom Racing ORECA 03 Nissan edged out the No.35 OAK Racing Morgan Nissan by just 0.084 seconds. G-Drive Racing’s ORECA Nissan took third place in the category, followed by a fast-improving No.41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN-Nissan – its two new drivers Wolfgang Reip and Jon Lancaster quickly getting up to speed in the FIA WEC.

Porsche’s updated specification on its No.91 and 92 911 RSRs appears to be paying off as Richard Lietz became only the second man today to dip below the 2-minute barrier in LMGTE Pro. His time of 1:59.730 put the No.92 at the head of the class, in front of an Aston-Porsche-Aston sandwich – the championship leading No.97 being the first of the two Aston Martin Vantages in this train.

Ferrari’s LMGTE Pro entrants were split by the No.61 AF Corse Ferrari 458 of Emmanuel Collard, the Frenchman recording a lap time of 2:00.631 to head the LMGTE Am category. Behind him were the Danish-piloted No. 95 Aston Martin, Larbre Competition’s Corvette and the No.57 Krohn Racing Ferrari which made improvements in lap times before a late session incident with a prototype which is being investigated.

Full results can be found HERE, and the competitors will all be back on track tomorrow morning for a third and final free practice session at 10:25, with qualifying to follow in the afternoon."

Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991 RSR, such a beautiful racing car, perfection :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Ahh the Audi R8 V10 Plus still available with that analogue remnant....namely, 3rd pedal and metal gated shifter....or am I missing the definition of truly analogue?
No electronic suspension components in any of the Gallardos...not to mention available RWD with mechanical LSD.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 12-03-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

funny, the RSR managed to barely dip into the 1:59's in BAH, and was normally in the 2:00 range.

The 991 Cup race in the middle east challenge were doing 2:04 - 2:05.

The Cup costs $250K. The RSR, about $1,250K. I'm sure running costs are on order of magnitude

Lets see how the car performs. However at the moment its a very pretty car but I'm not terribly impressed.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Don't want to derail the convo, but what is the difference between an rsr and a cup.. And what exotic parts justify 5x price?

Edit: I googled it.. I guess there are no solid questions anymore. Maybe someone who has driven both can answer ab how they FEEL differently... Google can't answer that.. Yet.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Don't want to derail the convo, but what is the difference between an rsr and a cup.. And what exotic parts justify 5x price?

Edit: I googled it.. I guess there are no solid questions anymore. Maybe someone who has driven both can answer ab how they FEEL differently... Google can't answer that.. Yet.
I will try

Cup Car: Very close to road car. No ABS. No TC. Non adjustable suspension. Minimal aero. 450hP. cost about 200k Euro. Engine rebuild at 60 hour, gearbox depend, etc. Very challenging to drive.

GT3R: FIA-GT3 homologated. 550-600hp. ABS / TC. Carbon everything. Adjustable suspension. Lots of aero. Cost about 380K Euro. 2-3seconds a lap faster. Engine rebuild at 30 hours, etc. Very similar as Grand Am car. Very easy to drive

RSR: GT-E homologated. 450hp (restricted). ABS (sometimes), TC (sometimes). Carbon everything. Exotic suspension and aero. Strange metals and bits and bobs. Cost about 800K Euro. Don't ask how much to run, you can't afford it. Unknown how it is to drive but supposedly its the fastest thing Porsche has for endurance races... I really don't get GT-E. FIAGT3 is way more interesting. Although Porsche's FIAGT3 car sucks compared to BMW, Merc, Audi... is also more expensive to run. Mezger has run its course; the SLS GT3 car engine runs happily for 100 hours (with intermediate low cost steps at 38 hours and 70 hours) or 15,000km. The GT3R needs a complete rebuild at 30.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Thanks.. I mostly was concerned with the contrasting red stitching though.. Does it come standard on those and how does it look with the racing harness?

;-)

Edit. Thanks for the great info.. I'll read up non those cars a bit more
Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Is this the new RS? I call bogus on the video identifier as GT2; looks and sounds like the new RS.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow--looking more finished and less like a mule. Turbo body, check. Bigger wing, check. GT3 fascia and styling cues, check.

Is this a new / recent spy pic?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Guess that tells us gt3rs won't come with pccb standard, but will have turbo-like side air intakes.. Would like to get a better view to see if it still has rear mounted tail intakes as well
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Would like to get a better view to see if it still has rear mounted tail intakes as well
It's there:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS