Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Do I want a delay? No. Do I want my ordered car to arrive somewhere close to my estimated date? Yes!
Sorry I just realized that statement was a little Ambiguous...
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess if your Dealership's allotment of GT3s was at the front of the list you didn't have to wait. Hence why Porsche of Downtown LA ain't heard of the delay. That and I imagine Beverly Hills and maybe Circle Porsche Long Beach!?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAL
I heard from an informed source that the cause of the delay was a global shortage of warning/idiot lights - seems all the manufacturers have underestimated the volume of idiot lights necessary to meet the modern driver's needs, given the obviously more important tasks of texting and internet surfing while "driving"...
This is a joke or? You cant believe seriously that these lights are the reasons for a 4 month delay. An internal Porsche document shows that the 991 GT3 should have been at customers in june 2013 (this doc is however dated from 2012, and not public). When the GT3 was introduced in Geneva, the idea was to have the cars delivered in August..now we are in october..and still no customer has the car..and in fact there is a chance that no customer would get the car before christmas - Im talking about European delivies here because its easier (they are always the first). With regards to the reason..enough has already been said. If you look in the other forum starting with the first 4..you will get similar notes..

Anyway, you will get the 991 GT3 - no doubt about that..but there will be serious delays in the end (+- 6 month). Porsche will do the job..dont worry about that.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the timetable from the confidential internal PAG & Dealer document dated 04/2013

It appears issues with the supply of rear wheel steering gear is holding up delivery. 20 LHD "production" cars have been produced and sit in a holding yard in Stuttgart awaiting production "sign off". The RWS system for the GT3 is unique and differs from the 4WD one used in 991TT/S. Apparently a supply/parts issue and they want to be sure first. estimated delays 4-5 weeks. This post below from another board may help. I have been also told by a friend who was involved that its worth the wait!

Hi All,

Have been following the thread for what feels like an eternity! I'm based in Germany and ordered my GT3 back in May for an October Delivery, now delayed to end of Nov.

The dealer here has also been told very little officially from the main factory other than whats already been said by Porsche GB. However, one of the salesmen has a guy on the inside at Porsche Motorsport who has been feeding him some info. As it stands today they say no cars will be delivered before mid november to anywhere in the world. They have produced 20 cars so far and they are all basically quarantined pending further production sign off. They are very paranoid about sending out the cars knowing there could be a fault which they then subsequently recall in Feb/March next year prior to the driving season kicking off and having irate customers. They told me there were similar launch /recall issues with the 997 and are not prepared to repeat that experience. The whole of Porsche Motorsport has been sworn to secrecy and are not saying what is causing the delay. The guy at the dealer has been unofficially told it might be something to do with the rear wheel steering system which differs from the Turbo system due to the addition of 4WD on the Turbo models. (There is a new Turbo S at my dealers which I'm testing next week.)

All in all not really covering themselves in glory. My dealer has been very good through out at updating me, but obviously doesn't change the fact that I probably won't be driving it this side of Christmas or even February with the winter we have here. Also not helped by the fact that my salesman had a passenger ride with one of the work drivers at Weissach recently and reported to me that it was epic....
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca's sources again proved to be knowledgeable. I just received information from my dealer that, contrary to what they told me a week ago, my car actually isn't in production (even though the system showed that it was) and will be further delayed.

Here's my frustrating timeline to date:
1. Initial confirmation in writing after ordering: week 28 production finish, ETA week 35.
2. Early July update: week 34 production finish, ETA week 41.
3. End of July update: week 36 production finish, ETA week 44.
4. Early September update: "the production delays have been resolved and the dates on the system are now accurate"; week 39 production finish, ETA week 47.
5. Early October update: car is in production, ETA week 48.
6. Mid October update: "car was not in production, no information will be available until the end of October."

It's becoming a joke, albeit not funny at all. I know that complaining doesn't help me to get my car any sooner, but I find it a very poor business practice to break multiple consecutive commitments, written or verbal.

So, I doubt whether I'll actually get it this year. And if they continue based on past performance, I might even get the 458 Speciale earlier...

And yes, I'm pretty sure this will cause further delays in other (following) markets as well...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

TomTom. I feel your pain. I had a trip to Europe planed to pick it up and now that is history!

This is what my dealer says and its consistent with your latest update -

The factory sent a memo to the world dealer network advising the delay (possibly 4 weeks+), but they are not updating any deliveries for sure until the end of October.
The memo did not say exactly what components are holding up the production.
The information was not supposed to have been given to customers…..

Last edited by Macca; 10-10-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
This is the timetable from the confidential internal PAG & Dealer document dated 04/2013

It appears issues with the supply of rear wheel steering gear is holding up delivery. 20 LHD "production" cars have been produced and sit in a holding yard in Stuttgart awaiting production "sign off". The RWS system for the GT3 is unique and differs from the 4WD one used in 991TT/S. Apparently a supply/parts issue and they want to be sure first. estimated delays 4-5 weeks. This post below from another board may help. I have been also told by a friend who was involved that its worth the wait!

Hi All,

Have been following the thread for what feels like an eternity! I'm based in Germany and ordered my GT3 back in May for an October Delivery, now delayed to end of Nov.

The dealer here has also been told very little officially from the main factory other than whats already been said by Porsche GB. However, one of the salesmen has a guy on the inside at Porsche Motorsport who has been feeding him some info. As it stands today they say no cars will be delivered before mid november to anywhere in the world. They have produced 20 cars so far and they are all basically quarantined pending further production sign off. They are very paranoid about sending out the cars knowing there could be a fault which they then subsequently recall in Feb/March next year prior to the driving season kicking off and having irate customers. They told me there were similar launch /recall issues with the 997 and are not prepared to repeat that experience. The whole of Porsche Motorsport has been sworn to secrecy and are not saying what is causing the delay. The guy at the dealer has been unofficially told it might be something to do with the rear wheel steering system which differs from the Turbo system due to the addition of 4WD on the Turbo models. (There is a new Turbo S at my dealers which I'm testing next week.)

All in all not really covering themselves in glory. My dealer has been very good through out at updating me, but obviously doesn't change the fact that I probably won't be driving it this side of Christmas or even February with the winter we have here. Also not helped by the fact that my salesman had a passenger ride with one of the work drivers at Weissach recently and reported to me that it was epic....
Macca,

youre well informed - like me

Anyway, with regards to the reason, I was think of something else..I hinted at that already ..but I cant be more specific.

With regards to the delays, dont be frustrated guys, but US-CAN - NZ wont see any customers cars before santa clause...as far as it stands now. European buddies should be happy if they get one before christmas - I even heard of a 3 month delay - counting from november on..but this is speculation.

But I wasnt that wrong when I talked about delays weeks ago..I would have won that bet already...the other one is due in a few days (between me and Macca)..I know that it will be a close call..the 991 GT3 did better then I expected..but lets see..
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Porsche Collector. It went under 7.30 in the hands of our magazine friends? I would visit you for my beer but due to 991 GT3 production delays I will now not come to Europe to pick up my car in December! Bugger! Actually mine is C98 variant and promised as one of first 7 production RHD as per my 993 which was number 3 RHD production car in Nov 1993! Initial delays were communicated to me 8 weeks ago but suffice to say there have been additional delays and now no even my dealer is getting communication (probably due to forums such as this?). I believe my car will still be delivered before Xmas but I will not be there to receive it. I do not fancy snow for my first drive....
Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by Macca
Porsche Collector. It went under 7.30 in the hands of our magazine friends? I would visit you for my beer but due to 991 GT3 production delays I will now not come to Europe to pick up my car in December! Bugger! Actually mine is C98 variant and promised as one of first 7 production RHD as per my 993 which was number 3 RHD production car in Nov 1993! Initial delays were communicated to me 8 weeks ago but suffice to say there have been additional delays and now no even my dealer is getting communication (probably due to forums such as this?). I believe my car will still be delivered before Xmas but I will not be there to receive it. I do not fancy snow for my first drive....
Hi Macca,

Actually, I might be at the factory also in December..how funny that would have been..we could have made a photo shoot of my GT3 (not a 991 GT3) and your new one...and enjoy our beer or wine in the musueum restaurant...

But Im like you..I dont want to drive the car in snowy conditions..on these tires this is suicide.

With regards to the Sport Auto test, I got a hint from someone that it at least did the same time as the 4.0..but apparently not the 7:25 factory claim either. Anyway, the result will be good anyway..if i remember we bet for 7:27 (correct)..and it could be just on the spot of the 7:27..one beer for you and a wine for me

PS: let me know when you will be there at the factory..I know I have to go there again soon...but could shift this a bit..and it could be quite snowy there..dont underestimate this..
Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mate. I cant remember what our bet was but its recorded somewhere here in internet history. It might take some time to find bit Im sure we can do that.

I think our bet started way before an official time was quoted. At that time the factory said under 7.30. My friend had been with the engineers when they were running consistent times 7.27 and below during RWS calibration in late 2012. There was a huge debate on the times I posted especially when I stated 7.25 wasn't the lowest. I recalled we bet on whether SA would get under 7.30. For them to get to 7.27 is incredible as only 2s from factory figures? Maybe not so incredible really as 7.25 is in my opinion (ok from what I have been told) a marketing number to help 991 GT3RS....

Anyway, really it would be nice to share a glass of wine in Stuttgart. At this stage my plan was to be there with the GT3 on 13/14 December. If my production date remains week is 48 or less I will still come to Germany for 13 Dec. After week 48 it does not make sense for me to come and instead just ship the car direct to NZ.

If you want to win the wine you have to look for our bet LOL!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Porsche collector. I just found 6 emails with our bet.......its not looking good mate! Im feelin thirsty!
Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The delays will surely suck for those with orders awaiting delivery but I know I'd prefer to wait an extra 1-2 months if it meant my car was delivered right first go without flaws resulting in lost wheels or a car crabbing sideways... Patience fellas... Good things come to those that wait
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

hi macca,

yep..it seems I said 7:31-7:34..and it that case I lost it. But I dont remember what you put in the ring? below 7:30 or below 7:27..? If you said 7:27 or below..we both lost ..If I lost, keep me updated on your travel plans..and we might settle our debt in the porsche musueum

But lets wait until the official results..to be sure..
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Spoke to my SA today and my delivery date has been pushed back 5 weeks from the original date so we are experiencing delays in Canada too....

I really don't mind as my will be arriving during winter and with the delay, I'm hoping PTS opens up so I can do that...

Yep, Mine delayed 5 weeks as well from a Dec 20th ETA to Jan 24th. Winter in Colorado so no worries
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Not the last shoe to drop, as some have alluded here. Personally, I'd relax and be thankfull they're trying to sort the issues before pushing cars into the market. Last thing you guys want is a repeat of the 997.2 GT3 ownership experience. Can't say you weren't warned.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!