Sponsored by:

Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tokyopav
Not sure I would want a hand full or gear stick doing this lap.

http://youtu.be/2Yz8cizr6sI

I would.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
For some reason,in my humble opinion,I just can't fit the GT3 along any of the cars you've mentioned...and I think that's exactly why it is unique. The McLaren doesn't do it for me,even if I had the money,I'd love a 458 though,just like I'd love a Pagani or the Aventador. But all these cars are different than the GT3,they provide excitement thru looks,sounds and exclusivity. The GT3 is different,it involves you more in the driving experience,it makes you work hard to get performance,the hard clutch,the engine behind you,tight steering and chassis,the raw sensation of a car you see dominating local tracks,zooming all day without a problem. You do not see many/if any Ferraris or McLarens at the track.
My point is,all of the above worked great as a package with a Manual transmission since 1999 and the new car lost a few bits of that package and surely is heading towards the market the cars you've mentioned fit in.
I wasn't trying to compare the GT3 to the 458 or McLaren so lets not go down that subjective road, although the fact that it provides equal performance for $100K less is pretty significant. I'm just saying that there are many things that factor into involvement and fun, and no matter how you slice it my PDK Carrera S wasn't 50% (or even close) less involving than my 996 sport chassis 6sp, and the 991 GT3 won't be 50% less involving than the 997.2 GT3. Again, not even close. That's what you said, and I respectfully disagree. Surely if any of the reviewers who have driven the car felt that way we would have heard about it.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,576 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Personally, I don't think we can quantify how much less involving PDK is versus manual - it's a subjective and qualitative thing. And I do agree that involvement can be increased by going faster, closer to the limits. BUT, that can't realistically be done even on good roads, so manual can especially add a lot to involvement there.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Personally, I don't think we can quantify how much less involving PDK is versus manual - it's a subjective and qualitative thing. And I do agree that involvement can be increased by going faster, closer to the limits. BUT, that can't realistically be done even on good roads, so manual can especially add a lot to involvement there.
+1.

The involvement is probably also a function of the road and driver skill. I didn't mind the PDK on some challenging unknown back roads. I am just an average driver, so someone more skilled than me probably would have found it less involving even there and probably prefered a manual. On the other hand even I found PDK boring on the off/on ramps on my normal commute that I am very familiar with. Unfortunately that is where I would be driving most of the time.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly, when I drove the 2009S PDK I immediately realized that this PDK at the time was - sorry for my words : close to rubbish - and I would have never chosen this Pdk over a manual. The PDK of the new boxster is already much much better..the one from the 991 GT3 will be better again. Not having driven the car..I would imagine it would be close to a PDK I would like.

Nevertheless, there are other things at this car which dont convince me..

PS: for me there can be nothing more involving then driving a GT3 at 9000rpm, manual - in a mountain area..
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm just gonna throw some fuel on the fire:

http://jalopnik.com/manual-transmiss...-of-1294864532

Well, I can offer you some insight from my experience fighting for this from the inside of an OEM.

To develop, test, homologate, and certify an MTX [manual transmission - Ed.] variant of a vehicle platform is very costly. Probably more costly than the borderline MTX enthusiast might be willing to pay. It's not just the hardware which can get costly for a well synthesized box - It's the software. Whether we like it or not, software drives modern day cars. Engine, Transmission, and ESP/ABS/TCS systems all run on software. Sure, the base software for the control systems can be carried over, but the calibration for these systems is not trivial by any means, and requires significant man-years of development and several prototype test properties in multiple environments to develop, test, and certify performance and safety.

I knew a seasoned vehicle calibrator in the company, and he showed me a graph with an exponential curve fit through several data points. The X-axis was vehicle model year. The Y-axis was the number of calibration set points required for _just_ the engine calibration. In the 1980's it was up to 10. By the late 1990's it was in the 10,000's and the trend was climbing steeply. This didn't even consider yet the ESP/ABS/TCS systems which have also grown in complexity over the past decade. Add several tens of thousands more calibration points for them.

Most of the auto manufacturers do a 'value added' calculation to assess vehicle program feasibility / profitability. Unfortunately, when you consider the cost of the per-vehicle parts and development/test/homologation/certification amortized over the volume of a low take-rate option like MTX, it doesn't paint a good picture.

I fought long and hard for enthusiast oriented content during my career there, only to find that it was difficult to (believe it or not) get some product planners to appreciate the importance of the enthusiast market since enthusiasts serve as taste makers for the main stream.

So, all of you MTX fan boys and girls out there, keep buying new cars with MTX's. That's the only way to ensure that product planners can justify this kind of content. When the take-rates fall below 5%, it becomes a tough sell.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Now Joe, minds are made up here, let's not confuse with additional perspective....
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 982 Posts

Right. 5%. No way a manual option in the new GT3 could've cleared that hurdle.

Next.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I suspect the 5% is a number derived from the overall take rate for MT's in the US market, which is in fact, about 5%. I don't know what the break even point would be for a model run of 2000-3000 total cars, but I'd bet its a lot more than 100-150 cars.

But that's beside the point of the article which is, I think, that the process of engineering, design, construction, and certification isn't as simple as some believe it is.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Nice post, Joe, and good input, for sure.

Suspect it's probably a little different for, say, a BMW M3, BMW M5, Porsche 981, Porsche 991, etc. than, say, a Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, or even "sporting" coupe. BTW, Mike, suspect the take rate of 5% is on a per-model basis given the passage quoted.

Perhaps more importantly: How does the above work out for Porsche when it can and does charge a significant premium for PDK—vs. those manufacturers in segments who cannot charge a premium for an automatic, DCT, or CVT—where such transmissions are expected as standard equipment? In other words, what's a better business model for Porsche? Continue selling PDK + Sport Chrono as optional equipment to a high percentage of buyers while keeping MT around to justify that healthy premium for PDK, or eliminate MT, save the development dollars, and/or raise base prices across the board to cover the lost revenue on highly popular options? Finally, there's the "heart" matter when it comes to cars for enthusiasts, and especially cars that reinforce a company's ethos—which the OEM insider above notes as important and this thread is all about.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

+991

Completely agree.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

Porsche 956 onboard lap of the Nurburgring by Derek Bell...

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 onboard lap of the Nurburgring...

...how do you like them apples?

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stout
Nice post, Joe, and good input, for sure.

Suspect it's probably a little different for, say, a BMW M3, BMW M5, Porsche 981, Porsche 991, etc. than, say, a Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, or even "sporting" coupe. BTW, Mike, suspect the take rate of 5% is on a per-model basis given the passage quoted.

Perhaps more importantly: How does the above work out for Porsche when it can and does charge a significant premium for PDK—vs. those manufacturers in segments who cannot charge a premium for an automatic, DCT, or CVT—where such transmissions are expected as standard equipment? In other words, what's a better business model for Porsche? Continue selling PDK + Sport Chrono as optional equipment to a high percentage of buyers while keeping MT around to justify that healthy premium for PDK, or eliminate MT, save the development dollars, and/or raise base prices across the board to cover the lost revenue on highly popular options? Finally, there's the "heart" matter when it comes to cars for enthusiasts, and especially cars that reinforce a company's ethos—which the OEM insider above notes as important and this thread is all about.
You may well be right about what the 5% number is referencing, Pete. As you suggest, while 5% may be viable as a breakeven point for a model selling 100,000+ units a year for several years, I imagine the percentage required for the payback of development and certification costs on a model selling only a couple of thousand examples over a limited production run would be much higher.

Anyway, I probably didn't say what I was trying to get at very clearly. There have been suggestions that Porsche could still put a MT in the 991 RS we've seen testing in what appears to be near-final form. There have even been some who've said it's still not too late to put a manual in the GT3. What the article Joe posted reinforces for me is that developing a gearbox of any kind, and integrating it into a new model is not as quick and easy an exercise as some have imagined, especially for a worldwide manufacturer subject to global regulations as opposed to a tuner with a limited market. Despite the concerns and valid frustration expressed in this thread, it's why I believe afa Porsche is concerned the MT train has already left the station, at least for this GT generation.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
Porsche 956 onboard lap of the Nurburgring by Derek Bell...
Brutally fast cars with manual transmissions, expertly driven. What's your point?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,576 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Finally, there's the "heart" matter when it comes to cars for enthusiasts, and especially cars that reinforce a company's ethos—which the OEM insider above notes as important and this thread is all about.
This. And I don't buy the argument that Porsche can't afford to put both manual and PDK in the GT3. They did it for the Boxster, Cayman, and other 991 variants. They're making a lot of money overall (as purchaser of three new Porsches in recent years, a non-trival chunk of that money came from me). Didn't they have something like 4x the development budget for this GT3 compared to the 997 GT3? What about broader loss of Porsche sales because people are disappointed with Porsche's decision and leave the brand, for example the guys who wanted a manual GT3, but won't now accept a manual 991S because it's not as a good a value as the GT3? And let's not forget that the new Vette is offered with both manual and automatic, and costs half the price ...

Quick Reply: Uncooked Truth: A Sad State of Manual Transmission Affairs