Sponsored by:

Panorama GT3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You have been up front and balanced and I'm not questioning your experience or POV except to say that you've not tried PDK-S, especially in a 991 GT3, and there is information that suggests previous experience with PDK or other DCT may not be particularly useful. I haven't driven PDK-S either, of course, but I'm optimistic and I hope it's fair to say that you're not-so-much. One of us will probably end up being surprised.....
It's correct that I've not tried the PDK-S, and I've said that I'm open to it, and might give an RS a try. However people I generally agree with that have tried it (CH, Stout) have said that in some situations they miss the manual. Given this and my prior experience I find it nearly certain I'll occasionally feel the same.

I think we might both have our suspicions confirmed, however- there's still plenty of room for both opinions to be correct. Or there would be...

I guy in our club has a very early allocation, so I may have the chance to try for myself sooner rather than later.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL@ Nick. That was funny.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I very much recommend having an aircooled in the garage. For one it provides the perfect "night and day" machine to the new 991 GT3 and I for one find this the huge draw of the 991 GT3 - that I can own and enjoy the best of where its "at now" whilst having the best of "where it was then". If you are a true "driver involvement" type then you are wasting bandwidth talking about 997 GT3 comparisons - you need to try something earlier. If you really want to go fast in this car on the track you best learn car control, entry and exit points, braking and balance perfectly and heel & toe is a very useful skill to have along with left foot braking.

My 993 is in the process of having some work done currently to make it a bit more track and tarmac rally friendly.

Dont deny yourself an aircooled experience. Just look at the jewel like quality, compactness and finish of these cars - they even LOOK MECHANICAL and organic before you even turn the key and hear the "thwump thwump" of the engine. Sure 300 bhp in a 1300kg/2850lb package isnt huge but set up properly (i.e. modified) this car will lap a 2.5 mile circuit maybe 3-4 seconds slower than last generations GT3 (stock)...

Food for thought but if you think its all getting too fast and loosing driver involvement suggest you all backdate to a 993 or earlier and realize how far the equations has already been diluted!
Attached Images      

Last edited by Macca; 08-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
It's correct that I've not tried the PDK-S, and I've said that I'm open to it, and might give an RS a try. However people I generally agree with that have tried it (CH, Stout) have said that in some situations they miss the manual. Given this and my prior experience I find it nearly certain I'll occasionally feel the same.

I think we might both have our suspicions confirmed, however- there's still plenty of room for both opinions to be correct. Or there would be...

I guy in our club has a very early allocation, so I may have the chance to try for myself sooner rather than later.
Pete. I understand exactly what you are saying. Unlike Mike and yourself I dont even have the benefit of knowing how a PDK car drives let alone PDK-S, however many folk I know have moved to PDK in their road cars and seem very satisfied - especially against the 7 speed 991 Manual which one MT die hard friend now seriously wishes he had never bought after trying his dealers PDK car for an extended 4 day demo! But I digress....

I really strongly believe that you need to "live" with this new box to understand if the benefits out weight the losses. For me, like I suspect for you, its sometimes very easy to have a car that just a bit too focused and thus doesnt get the seat time it really deserves. If I found myself doubling my seat time in a 991 GT3 over say a 996.1 GT3 because I simply found it more fun and convenient to drive more of the time (i.e. less compromised in some situations) then that may go some way to balancing the "GAP analysis" on the car (by way of a simple example).
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

Fair enough, Pete. CH and Stout had pre-production engineering examples of the 991 GT3 on public roads for a few hours, if I'm not mistaken. It took me a few months to recalibrate myself to fully appreciate "old" PDK. They are far more accomplished than I am, but maybe more than a few hours of street driving is needed to give PDK-S a fair and complete hearing. Or maybe not. Just a thought.....

BTW, "or there would be".....what?

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-19-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I very much recommend having an aircooled in the garage. For one it provides the perfect "night and day" machine to the new 991 GT3 and I for one find this the huge draw of the 991 GT3 - that I can own and enjoy the best of where its "at now" whilst having the best of "where it was then". If you are a true "driver involvement" type then you are wasting bandwidth talking about 997 GT3 comparisons - you need to try something earlier. If you really want to go fast in this car on the track you best learn car control, entry and exit points, braking and balance perfectly and heel & toe is a very useful skill to have along with left foot braking.

My 993 is in the process of having some work done currently to make it a bit more track and tarmac rally friendly.

Dont deny yourself an aircolled experience. Just look at the jewel like quality, compactness and finish of these cars - the even LOOK MECHANICAL and organic before you even turn the key and hear the "thwump thwump" of the engine. Sure 300 bhp in a 1300kg/2850lb package isnt huge but set up properly (i.e. modified) this car will lap a 2.5 mile circuit maybe 2 seconds slower than last generations GT3 (stock)...

Food for thought but if you think its all getting too fast and loosing driver involvement suggest you all backdate to a 993 or earlier and realize how far the equations has already been diluted!
Great post!
Great pics, too. And don't forget to get tubes of high energy impact plastic over the cage.
I concur 100%. If you've not owned a 993, you're missing out on one of the great eras of the 911. And if 300hp is an issue, get a turbo and get it tuned for 520hp / 520tq with near lag free throttle response and "Sweet Mother!" reactions from your passengers just by a gentle straight line acceleration on a freeway ramp. : )
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I spent 10 minutes talking with Hurley Haywood in the paddock at Laguna during the Historics yesterday. I asked him if he had driven the new GT3 and what did he think of it. Don't have time now (headed back to Laguna in 5) to recount the whole conversation but the first word out of his mouth was "awesome". I also asked him if Porsche did the right thing in not offering a MT and he gave me his instructor's perspective on why a DCT like PDK offered many advantages, especially on track.

I mentioned that I had PDK in my 997.2 S and that I was looking forward to trying PDK-S in the 991 GT3. His comment was that the PDK-S experience was so far removed from PDK that it will be something completely different for me. He said that basically Porsche has engineered into PDK-S the ability to do virtually anything you can do with a manual. He was particularly enthusiastic about the paddle neutral feature. Apparently you can even engage neutral to blip the throttle in manual mode to rev match yourself on downshifts.

Hurley is a Porsche guy so make of this what you will. But he is very sincere and straightforward and I walked away feeling very reinforced about how much fun this car will be to drive.
For what it's worth, I had almost the same conversation with Hurley at the Quail on Friday. He also mentioned that the 991 GT3 would be incorporated into the Masters and Masters Plus programs at the Porsche Sport Driving School beginning in January '14. Might be a good opportunity for those not already buying one to check one out.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes
I b buying old air cool soon.
out driving this morning, at let three out of four of us wanted old cars soon.
Make that 4/4 . Of course wife, bank balance and garage space disagrees with me .

Sorry for OT, but pic from the drive, thanks for the awesome time.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

so, at least we can now verify that mooty still has the one
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
"Mooty" is definitely not real, as evidenced by Frayed's query into how he can live in SF with all that hardware in another thread.

As to this thread, perhaps most interesting to me is this: The story's extensive commentary about suspension, RWS, e-Diff, etc—all of which are amazing and "organic" in use—as well as the chassis' significant advancements over the 997-2 GT3 have been completely obscured by a discussion that's already been beaten to death. While the story did indeed raise this sea-changing issue—which is critical to some customers—I suspect the lines of text devoted to PDK-S pale in number against those devoted to the rest of the new GT3. That said, I didn't count them.

To me, it's a pity to see a car so great obscured by a fixation on one element—and all the more because it didn't have to be this way. Years ago, GM told its customers it knew what they wanted better than they did. At some level, I think that was the beginning of its fall. You didn't see it on the balance sheets, at least not initially, but...

The only thing worse is watching enthusiasts who are getting what they want show so little concern for their fellow man/woman/enthusiast—or, worse, label them. For some, this is not a matter of progress, it is a matter of preference and what some perceive as interaction/involvement. I for one am thrilled that the GT3 is now available with PDK-S, because it improves performance and makes the GT3 experience available to more enthusiasts—and what's not to like about that? I suspect those open to PDK will LOVE this car. But I am saddened that Porsche has gone the way of Ferrari instead of offering its customers the choice that BMW—and...Cadillac!—does.

pete
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well said Pete. Im open to PDK and a 991 GT3 buyer. Im also a dyed in the wool MT 911 guy, so we will see how that pans out. Its a shame as you say that the cars advancements are, most often, clouded in a shroud of PDK-S v MT debate. I have hope as I think it will suit my usage of the car. I guess it would have been nice to have the choice however...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, not much comments have been made on the new PCCBs in any of the reviews I have seen or read. Would you care to share your thoughts on them ??

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Pete, put an elephant in the room and people will not notice the furniture.

FWIW, your message was loud and clear. As a writer not much more you can ask for.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Pete, not much comments have been made on the new PCCBs in any of the reviews I have seen or read. Would you care to share your thoughts on them ??

+1
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
lol, i hitch hiked to half moon bay brewery.

Quick Reply: Panorama GT3 Review