Sponsored by:

Panorama GT3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
All three cars present on our two-day test had PCCBs, so I can't give you feedback on the standard brakes vs. the PCCBs.

That said, they were performed beautifully...to the point I had to remind myself to write about them. They just worked. Thinking about it, they're probably among the best street-car brakes I have sampled, and maybe even the best. Nice feel, great modulation, no unwanted noise, fantastic stopping power (arguably more a measure of the new Dunlops), and no fade experienced despite a thorough pounding on tight roads.

Given that they're "million-dollar" 918 brakes, they also seem a decent value at $9k. And given the size of the new wheels, the size of the brakes (and thus the unsprung weight), I'd have to have them if I was going to use the car on the street. For track work, well...then an expensive upgrade becomes insanely expensive.
Looking forward to further reviews with GT3s with steels.

I don't have a problem spending the extra 9k on them and have had PCCBs in two cars before.

But the track expense is what deters me. I just cannot predict how much I'll use the car on track as it could vary considerably. So I suppose the safe bet continues to be the standard brakes.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,858 Likes on 2,218 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
fair enough... then buy another car.
I'd be buying it mainly for track use.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All three cars present on our two-day test had PCCBs, so I can't give you feedback on the standard brakes vs. the PCCBs.

That said, they were performed beautifully...to the point I had to remind myself to write about them. They just worked. Thinking about it, they're probably among the best street-car brakes I have sampled, and maybe even the best. Nice feel, great modulation, no unwanted noise, fantastic stopping power (arguably more a measure of the new Dunlops), and no fade experienced despite a thorough pounding on tight roads.

Given that they're "million-dollar" 918 brakes, they also seem a decent value at $9k. And given the size of the new wheels, the size of the brakes (and thus the unsprung weight), I'd have to have them if I was going to use the car on the street. For track work, well...then an expensive upgrade becomes insanely expensive.
Thanks Pete. At this point I'm undecided about them. I will probably track my car 3 to 6 days per year so don't know if that would be a concern.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'd be buying it mainly for track use.
Doesn't sound like you are going to buy a new car soon.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,858 Likes on 2,218 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Doesn't sound like you are going to buy a new car soon.
If I could get the GT3 whenever I'm ready, I'd probably go for it. But with the limited availability of the car, Porsche is giving me plenty of time to consider other options.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

New GT3RS breaks cover in almost production trim on other thread. Sounds good - PDK though.

Im hearing murmurings that PAG ROW dealrs believe the RS will be a sell out the moment it launches. Something to do with dealers becoming oversubscribed on 991 GT3 and orders on the more limited unit RS (maybe 1500-1800 units) being delivered earlier than usual time frames thus a realistic opportunity for the impatient 991 GT3 buyer....I also suspect it will blow everything away on Ring and Track this side of an Apollo Gumperty and will keep a 458 "Speciale" honets at 1/2 the price...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Good.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Thanks Pete. At this point I'm undecided about them. I will probably track my car 3 to 6 days per year so don't know if that would be a concern.

Ironically, PCCB's could negatively impact resale value. Most buyers usually plan on tracking the car. Being experienced in track work, they would know about the unsuitability of PCCB's for track work.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

No, you can sell PCCB rotors for a lot more then the steels cost, so a used PCCB car with like new PCCB's is always worth more.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick
Ironically, PCCB's could negatively impact resale value. Most buyers usually plan on tracking the car. Being experienced in track work, they would know about the unsuitability of PCCB's for track work.
I'm not concerned about resale, more about wiether or not light tracking (is 3 - 6 days a year considered light ??) will materially affect the brake life of the new PCCBs.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

6 days is nothing for this gigantic locomotive sized PCCB's.
Do be double safe start with new pads.

The calipers will discolor if you manage to get fast enough only driving 6 days a year in 90F+ days.
This picture was the fourth track day, but with steel rotors. But I have seen many cars with many days with pristine yellow calipers.

Before 800 street miles, I sold them as like new.
After 4 track days.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Thanks Peter...From what I had read on the old PCCBs, it seemed like changing out the brake pads at no less than 50% wear led to longer disk life. With the new generation having more ceramic material in them, I would assume they will be longer lasting but then we also have torque vectoring and e-diff that uses the brakes as part of there operations...

Wish Porsche would release more technical info on these new PCCBs..

Did you run your 4.0RS with PCCB's on track ??
Old 08-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm not concerned about resale, more about wiether or not light tracking (is 3 - 6 days a year considered light ??) will materially affect the brake life of the new PCCBs.
Porsche has said that they will have a factory steel rotor available to swap the PCCBs out for track days with the new setup. Thus worst case you should be able to shelve your PCCBs, run inexpensive and long life steel on the track, then swap back when you'd like to. Nice of them to make this option available for those that track.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

The calipers will discolor if you manage to get fast enough only driving 6 days a year in 90F+ days.
This picture was the fourth track day, but with steel rotors. But I have seen many cars with many days with pristine yellow calipers.
Yep, you know the fast ones by their calipers: Signal Yellow (orange to my eye) PCCBs or near-Aubergine Big Reds...

pete
Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter...From what I had read on the old PCCBs, it seemed like changing out the brake pads at no less than 50% wear led to longer disk life. With the new generation having more ceramic material in them, I would assume they will be longer lasting but then we also have torque vectoring and e-diff that uses the brakes as part of there operations...

Wish Porsche would release more technical info on these new PCCBs..

Did you run your 4.0RS with PCCB's on track ??
No, I never ran PCCB's sold them straight off the car.
I did also have extra cooling through the bottom of the car with NACA ducts going through where the front axles go on the AWD cars.

Originally Posted by Petevb
Porsche has said that they will have a factory steel rotor available to swap the PCCBs out for track days with the new setup. Thus worst case you should be able to shelve your PCCBs, run inexpensive and long life steel on the track, then swap back when you'd like to. Nice of them to make this option available for those that track.
But at what price?
The .2 rotors are already 2K for 4.

The .1 had really cheap aftermarket solutions that worked fine, about $500 for 4...

With the cars not getting that much heavier or faster relatively, I wonder if they could not just keep the wheels and brake hardware a bit smaller and pile on cooling instead.

Yep, you know the fast ones by their calipers: Signal Yellow (orange to my eye) PCCBs or near-Aubergine Big Reds...

pete
Yup, I look for toasted calipers when I come to a new track, that's the guys I want to follow :-)

Near Aubergine?

I've seen black in the rear with a touch of brown and solid brown in the front. This does require being cheap enough to run every set of pads metal to metal and no added cooling.

They do keep stopping the car though, so no problem just add clips to the freaking pucks don't fall out when you change pads.

Quick Reply: Panorama GT3 Review