Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panorama GT3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't stand it. Just emailed my sales rep to add PCCB's to my spec.....
Old 08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Mike in CA -- I'm with you! I agonized over whether or not to stick with big reds or go PCCB. When I spec'd the order, I made the choice based on my gut, what I really wanted, and the answer was PCCB. Might not make logical sense, but what's logical when it comes to something like this?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I've seen black in the rear with a touch of brown and solid brown in the front. This does require being cheap enough to run every set of pads metal to metal and no added cooling.

They do keep stopping the car though, so no problem just add clips to the freaking pucks don't fall out when you change pads.

Black with a touch of brown! I gotta get out to FL sometime.

I felt guilty for sending one press car back with burgundy stoppers—but then, they did leave the thing in my care for more than a year. Not a single scratch on the front lip, but those beet-red calipers told the tale of the Loop and Laguna.

My kind of "patina."

pete
Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nice move, Mike!

As with buying an Arai over a Bell (if, like me, you've got an Arai-shaped head), you won't regret it. It'll only sting for a while...

pete
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Not a single scratch on the front lip, but those beet-red calipers told the tale of the Loop and Laguna.

pete
What loop?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stout
Nice move, Mike!

As with buying an Arai over a Bell (if, like me, you've got an Arai-shaped head), you won't regret it. It'll only sting for a while...

pete
Thanks Pete. Interestingly, my sales rep is trying to talk me out of making the change. He cites the issues with squealing (which I thought had been resolved) and track wear, which for a car that will be street driven and autox'd with a track day or two a year thrown in shouldn't be a big issue.

But he also mentions the potential problem of a rock getting wedged between the rotor and caliper, scoring the disk and ruining it at immense cost. I can't ever recall that happening to me with steel brakes but I know it's possible. I'm wavering. I'd appreciate your expert input (or that of anyone) to talk me down (or I suppose back up) again.

Edit: Pete I reread your PCCB post and am feeling a bit better again....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-23-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Mike, get PCCB.

This does not apply to you :-)
Brakes don't suffer much unless you track it hard and even then I was exaggerating, I can still detect some red.....
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew! I'm glad you sprung for the 9k, now I don't have to. I was worried that we might get our cars mixed up. On second thought, the nearly 3000 miles of separation might be enough...
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

On a side note, can you imagine that electric rear wheel steering thingy within inches of these scorching temps?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Pete. Interestingly, my sales rep is trying to talk me out of making the change. He cites the issues with squealing (which I thought had been resolved) and track wear, which for a car that will be street driven and autox'd with a track day or two a year thrown in shouldn't be a big issue.

But he also mentions the potential problem of a rock getting wedged between the rotor and caliper, scoring the disk and ruining it at immense cost. I can't ever recall that happening to me with steel brakes but I know it's possible. I'm wavering. I'd appreciate your expert input (or that of anyone) to talk me down (or I suppose back up) again.
Mike correct me if I am wrong. You plan on doing primarily autocross events. As a result, most of the track work you will be doing will not involve high speed braking. My understanding is PCCB's do not withstanding continued high speed braking.

Therefore, PCCB's should not be a major concern for you.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike correct me if I am wrong. You plan on doing primarily autocross events. As a result, most of the track work you will be doing will not involve high speed braking. My understanding is PCCB's do not withstanding continued high speed braking.

Therefore, PCCB's should not be a major concern for you.
That's right Nick, I'm not likely to do more than a couple of DE's a year in addition to autox. I just re-read Pete Stout's post and he mentions that there is no unwanted noise, great feel and stopping power, etc. Guess I'm more concerned about accidental damage and the cost of replacement if something bad happens, not to mention how much value I'm getting for my $9K.

I've been on the fence about this for a while and as usual, I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I doubt you can detect the lighter weight auto crossing, or need the additional stopping power.
Stopping power only matters I think once you beat the crap out of them to the point that they overheat.. No likely right?

But red car, red caliper, red brake lights, red stitching maybe even red dials.
You don't wanna go yellow, even though you may lose Mc Donalds sponsorship.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... I'm wavering. I'd appreciate your expert input (or that of anyone) to talk me down (or I suppose back up) again.

Edit: Pete I reread your PCCB post and am feeling a bit better again....
Don't know if I can talk you down as I happen to be sitting on the same ledge..

This is what I know:

The New GT3 has improved brake cooling over the previous model especially on the rear with an additional vent on each side making for 4 in total.

The material composition of the ceramic disks, especially the outer friction layer, has been completely revised. A significantly higher proportion of ceramic in the carbon-fibre reinforced ceramics has greatly increased the wear resistance of the new disks, even under extreme high loads...

Both of the above are from Porsche documents I have in my possession. This along with Pete Stout's feedback and your intended use, should make you feel much better..

Crap, I think I just talked myself into them too but I have 2 1/2 months to change my mind before my order will be locked..

Last edited by Conekilr; 08-23-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarification of which Peter. so many Pete's what a great name :)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I doubt you can detect the lighter weight auto crossing, or need the additional stopping power.
Stopping power only matters I think once you beat the crap out of them to the point that they overheat.. No likely right?

But red car, red caliper, red brake lights, red stitching maybe even red dials.
You don't wanna go yellow, even though you may lose Mc Donalds sponsorship.
Steering response, unsprung weight, overall feel should be noticeable autoxing and on the road; stopping power more than adequate with stock brakes, overheating not a problem. No dust would be nice, but I could probably hire a long term wheel cleaner guy for $9K.

No red stitching or dials on order; hadn't even thought about McDonalds. That's a possibility.....

You're confusing me Peter. First you said get 'em and now you say don't go yellow. So which is it?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Mike,for your intended use I think PCCBs are a good idea and they last a long long time,the only thing I'd say,I don't know how well the yellow calipers go with your choice of GR,but then again it's all subjective and a matter of preference.

Quick Reply: Panorama GT3 Review