Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panorama GT3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I mean if you are worried about wear or caliper discoloring there is no reason not to get them, they will last you forever and they will add to the resale value of the car.

If you don't care about 9K no worries.

Just saying that red looks better on red. Go big or go home on that color LOL.
I don't think it will give you any driving benefits for autox or street driving. I doubt you'd notice it.
A stripped Cayman might do better there?

I could be wrong, I went autoX once and left after the first run.

The red probably matches Racing red. The yellow does not seem to match racing yellow.

can you get red wheels? Yellow wheels?
I had CUP Car white wheels and tried to get white calipers. No go.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,for your intended use I think PCCBs are a good idea and they last a long long time,the only thing I'd say,I don't know how well the yellow calipers go with your choice of GR,but then again it's all subjective and a matter of preference.
Nick, I have a much larger version of my avatar as a desktop on my computer and it's red with the yellow calipers. I've gotten used to the look so that won't be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I could be wrong, I went autoX once and left after the first run.
It's an acquired taste.....
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

FWIW, the unsprung weight argument is bogus. I believe the PCCB's weigh as much as steel. Also, I don't buy the resale argument. With just the PCCB's and nothing else the car goes from $130,000 to $140,000. And as I stated earlier, PCCB's on Porsche GT cars impair their value because the buyer is usually very informed and have a mindset that that PCCB's are not appropriate for track work because of the expense.

Now to confuse you even more, I agree that there has been improvement of the ceramics by Porsche and as Pete wisely pointed out they are the same brakes as are on the 918 a million dollar car.

Personally, I am not inclined to get them but I do not spec my car until early next year so I have plenty of time to decide. I could change my mind.

Here is a suggestion. You have a good relationship with your dealer. Take a test drive with a car that has PCCB's and see if you like them that much more than what you have on your car. Granted the 991GT3 PCCB's will be better but I assure not that much better than the PCCB's on the 991 or even the 997's.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike. This might sway you?

Few more figures from AMS test...

1433kg measured weight.

ISO and 18m test car the fastest overall. 991 GT3 is faster in curves then 997 GT3 RS 4.0, in fact as you will see in forthcoming Supertest faster around Ring as well.

Optional PCCBs produced the best braking power measured so far by AMS.

Only two minus things are not so good straight line stability and bad wet road traction(which is expected due to UHP tires).
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Pete. Interestingly, my sales rep is trying to talk me out of making the change. He cites the issues with squealing (which I thought had been resolved) and track wear, which for a car that will be street driven and autox'd with a track day or two a year thrown in shouldn't be a big issue.

But he also mentions the potential problem of a rock getting wedged between the rotor and caliper, scoring the disk and ruining it at immense cost. I can't ever recall that happening to me with steel brakes but I know it's possible. I'm wavering. I'd appreciate your expert input (or that of anyone) to talk me down (or I suppose back up) again.

Edit: Pete I reread your PCCB post and am feeling a bit better again....
The weirdest **** seems to happen on track so yep, the rock thing is possible. Was cleaning the car after my most recent track day and noticed a deep score mark almost all the way around the inside barrel of the front wheel, presumably where a rock got stuck between the caliper or rotor and wheel for almost a full revolution... On steels though, phew!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Mike. This might sway you?

Few more figures from AMS test...

1433kg measured weight.

ISO and 18m test car the fastest overall. 991 GT3 is faster in curves then 997 GT3 RS 4.0, in fact as you will see in forthcoming Supertest faster around Ring as well.

Optional PCCBs produced the best braking power measured so far by AMS.

Only two minus things are not so good straight line stability and bad wet road traction(which is expected due to UHP tires).
Macca, thanks. I can't remember your exact spec. Are you ordering the ceramics?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mate. No. I cant see how Id tax the steel rotors enough to need them. Im also conscious that changing CL wheels is a precise enough drama to start with (sliding the wheel off the hub without touching the caliper or disc) and adding fragile expensive ceramics into that equation gives a butter fingers like me the heebees. For a dealer fettled road ca can see this being so much an issue though...
Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and these cars will be dealer-fettled more than ever before.
indys will have to step up and invest in some new tech.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Whew! I'm glad you sprung for the 9k, now I don't have to. I was worried that we might get our cars mixed up. On second thought, the nearly 3000 miles of separation might be enough...
I'm buying an identical car as Mike, except PCCB, from the same dealer, and delivery date is less than two weeks apart, according to the rep (early to mid-January for me). If my car has PCCBs, I'll know whom to call :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm buying an identical car as Mike, except PCCB, from the same dealer, and delivery date is less than two weeks apart, according to the rep (early to mid-January for me). If my car has PCCBs, I'll know whom to call :-)
LOL Max. Thing is my sales guy was out of town, couldn't actually change my order and given the 24 hours I'm back on the fence. We may have confusion if the cars get switched at birth after all! Just too much time to think before these cars show up!!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh gosh. Imagine if you both turn up the same day to pick up your new car! Coin toss?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Max and I will have to compare our complete builds. There must be some difference option wise. If not we'll just have to depend on those precise Germans to get it right!

Quick Reply: Panorama GT3 Review