Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike. I must honestly confess I have not seen a 997.1 or .2 GT3 or 4.0 GT3 in red in the flesh. There was only one red 997 series GT3/RS/4.0 delivered in my country and I haven't see it in person. Unfortunately for most it wont be possible to see the car in the choice of colours before ordering. The best indication will be the Geneva launch colours and perhaps a few weeks later the first articles on the web from early journalist test drives....

It would be great if they could make it easy for everyone by choosing a cool base signature colour (non metallic). Like my MB 993, over the years Ive found cars sold in their "signature colour" seems to retain value relatively well (think rubystone red/Maritime blue on the 964RS, Speed yellow on the 993RS, Zanzibar Red and speed yellow on the 996.1 GT3, Carrara white on the 997 GT3 etc). Of course in a market as large as NA the difference in holding relative value is small. In a smaller country when everyone orders a silver 996 GT3 and there are only 3-4 interesting colours such as SY and ZR ordered from new, later on the second hand market those colours can become very popular and speed up the sale of a used GT3....

My wish for the next 24 hours is someone leaks a picture of the show car being flat bedded to the exhibition hall LOL! Id imagine by now the transporter with the 991 GT3 +991T is being loaded in Stuttgart! They will be offloading it Saturday/Sunday and preparing the stand over the weekend for Tuesday press opening
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine always end up the same color as brake dust and tire debris anyway.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any 911/Boxster/Cayman released in the past 2 decades for which Guards Red was't part of the default solid color choices ?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

cayman r.
you could get it, but wasn't popular.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Mike. I must honestly confess I have not seen a 997.1 or .2 GT3 or 4.0 GT3 in red in the flesh. There was only one red 997 series GT3/RS/4.0 delivered in my country and I haven't see it in person. Unfortunately for most it wont be possible to see the car in the choice of colours before ordering. The best indication will be the Geneva launch colours and perhaps a few weeks later the first articles on the web from early journalist test drives....

It would be great if they could make it easy for everyone by choosing a cool base signature colour (non metallic). Like my MB 993, over the years Ive found cars sold in their "signature colour" seems to retain value relatively well (think rubystone red/Maritime blue on the 964RS, Speed yellow on the 993RS, Zanzibar Red and speed yellow on the 996.1 GT3, Carrara white on the 997 GT3 etc). Of course in a market as large as NA the difference in holding relative value is small. In a smaller country when everyone orders a silver 996 GT3 and there are only 3-4 interesting colours such as SY and ZR ordered from new, later on the second hand market those colours can become very popular and speed up the sale of a used GT3....

My wish for the next 24 hours is someone leaks a picture of the show car being flat bedded to the exhibition hall LOL! Id imagine by now the transporter with the 991 GT3 +991T is being loaded in Stuttgart! They will be offloading it Saturday/Sunday and preparing the stand over the weekend for Tuesday press opening
I bet you it is white LOL

Mike
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i hope it is black
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i hope it is black
Black is for test cars, I bet you it is white

Mike
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My wish for the next 24 hours is someone leaks a picture of the show car being flat bedded to the exhibition hall LOL! Id imagine by now the transporter with the 991 GT3 +991T is being loaded in Stuttgart!
Hi Macca. I saw one in person at the historic races in Monterey last year. And of course there are photos. Aside from the Ruby Red '84 Carrera, and my Sand White Cayenne, my Porsches have been Arctic Silver. I want something different this time, I think. It need not be iconic to the model, but something that will please me for a very long time as I intend to keep this car for many years. Top Gear did a program last year that featured an Aqua Blue Metallic GT3. I've never owned a blue car but this one looked good. What's your opinion of blue on a GT3?

Also, you've heard that the 991 Turbo will debut as well?
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I loved the Guards Red 997S color I had. Guards Red GT3 would be great!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
I loved the Guards Red 997S color I had. Guards Red GT3 would be great!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this thread started talking about mezger motors, then pdk, then ptv, pts, and pretty soon, we'll move on to deviated stitching.
that's what it comes down to. the feel of the leather and the contrast of the stitching.
nothing else matters...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike. That read GT3 does look good. Its the right hue of colour to both show the lines and also the darker detail.

My view is that whatever the colour on the GT3 it must be a solid colour not a metallic to truly compliment the motorsports heritage of this model. Solid colours are much easier to touch up and dont show scratched through the clear coats so easily so from my experience very easy to live with and keep looking nice (although they can be subject to fade over long periods of time).

Im not sure on the blue you speak of, but in general terms blue is my favorite hue on a RS or GT3. Again I like the solid colours on this model so Turquise or Maritime would do just fine. I already have a metallic blue 993 Im very happy with. The colour is timeless. Like you Im a bit over silver. Easy t keep clean but it looks pretty average most of the time. i think as us men get older we tend to seek something a little bolder and chose what we want without heart not our head. Thats all good to me!

Having said the above the first 997.2 GT3RS I saw in the wild was a very early release UK car and it was metallic blue and i must say took my breath away. Im not sure I could live with it for too long as in sunlight that blue would be pretty "bright" but with the right decals it looked good. Ive posted a pic below.

Is aqua blue on the 991 the colour of the second picture I attach? Its very strong but also memorable...
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL aussie jimmy! I like your humour.

I think we are buying time and trying to discuss options relevant to what buyers of the car will order. I agree its pretty low rent but personally its more relevant about w*nking on about the intricacies of technology which may or may not even be part of the final spec.

Ive been on the thread from the beginning and was the instigator of the earlier "Definitive 991 GT3" thread in Sept last year and apart from the info on the OP of this thread the most constructive on topic contributions Ive seen to date are from the 3-4 potential customers for this car on this thread who dont already own a 997 GT3 and have no axe to grind so to speak.

Im sure on Tuesday when all becomes clear there will be plenty of heated and interesting debate on technical stuff once specs have been confirmed. In the mentime in lieu of any hard facts" I think we are just passing time talking about a few subjects that will be of interest to anyone who has already put their name down for the new car...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Macca, even though I'd prefer a darker shade of red, I've seen some beautiful Guards Red GT3's and am not as put off by it's somewhat "orange" character as I am by Zanzibar red. Obviously color choice is very subjective. We'll have to see what Porsche offers for color choices with this car. Like you, I'm very impatient!
I think it's typically best to have the launch color that all of the press photos, magazines specials, Top Gear, etc. used. They've been gloss, non-metallic colors on most prior sporting 911s (maritime, rubystone, speed yellow, zanzibar, RS green and orange, etc.)

They'll come up with something.

If you want dark red, why not PTS Arena Red (popular 993 color?)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this thread started talking about mezger motors, then pdk, then ptv, pts, and pretty soon, we'll move on to deviated stitching.
that's what it comes down to. the feel of the leather and the contrast of the stitching.
nothing else matters...
Nothing else matters? C'mon aussie jimmy, don't be a killjoy. Just having some fun. You don't order your cars in primer gray, do you?

I think we are buying time and trying to discuss options relevant to what buyers of the car will order. I agree its pretty low rent but personally its more relevant about w*nking on about the intricacies of technology which may or may not even be part of the final spec.
Exactly.

Hi Mike. That read GT3 does look good. Its the right hue of colour to both show the lines and also the darker detail.

Is aqua blue on the 991 the colour of the second picture I attach? Its very strong but also memorable...
That looks like it to me, although I like the blue in the first pic better.....

Originally Posted by Guest89
I think it's typically best to have the launch color that all of the press photos, magazines specials, Top Gear, etc. used. They've been gloss, non-metallic colors on most prior sporting 911s (maritime, rubystone, speed yellow, zanzibar, RS green and orange, etc.)

They'll come up with something.

If you want dark red, why not PTS Arena Red (popular 993 color?)
IIRC, Arena Red replaced Ruby Red. I liked Ruby better but don't think I'd go the PTS route anyway. If there was nothing else I liked, I'd go white before PTS.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!