Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 03:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mike2727
Hi Mike

I spoke to my dealer price is MSRP and the deposit is refundable ($ 2500) so I will be put on the list, awaiting further info on the Bucket Seats, and maintenance schedules for PDK, RWS and CL

Thanks
Mike
Cool, Mike. I hope this seat thing gets sorted out to your satisfaction. Also, with regard to routine PDK maintenance, I posted it in another thread but in case you miss it there, it's limited to fluid replacement; every 56,000 miles (90,000 km) for hydraulic oil in the wet clutch section of the transmission and 112,000 miles (180,000 km) for gear oil in the gearbox section.
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Or every 6 track days if you use it as intended?
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Exactly. I am SMH at the deusional thinking that you can run PDK on track with the OEM fluid for 56,000 miles...
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Fair point. I only know what routine maintenance is; 2.95 liters of Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL4.5 are used in the transmission
for lubricating the gear wheel set. 5.2 liters of Pentosin Gear Oil FFL3 are used as hydraulic oil.
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Routine maintenance 997 GT3 transoil is lifetime, if that's an indication..
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:40 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Cool, Mike. I hope this seat thing gets sorted out to your satisfaction. Also, with regard to routine PDK maintenance, I posted it in another thread but in case you miss it there, it's limited to fluid replacement; every 56,000 miles (90,000 km) for hydraulic oil in the wet clutch section of the transmission and 112,000 miles (180,000 km) for gear oil in the gearbox section.
Thanks Mike

I am sure they will come out with a recommended schedule based on track miles like they did (too late) on the CL's

Nothing to lose to be on the list, just waiting to see what will happen with the seats

Mike
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Exactly. I am SMH at the deusional thinking that you can run PDK on track with the OEM fluid for 56,000 miles...
Is that based on any lab tests or history of transmission failures due to oil degradation?

For what it's worth, I've seen the fluid from M3's DCT transmission tested at 30K mostly track miles, and it showed no traces of transmission wear or changes of physical properties of the oil. I was not a believer till I saw it. It was not like it was still good to use - it was like it has not seen any use. I've also seen tracked cars with close to 100K miles original DCT fuild or 1 replacement with no issues. So it's technologically possible to make it last that long in a much cheaper car. I hope porsche did not cut corners on this (and I see no reason to think it did).

Also, not sure about PDK, but on M3 DCT, replacing wet clutch packs is $1200 + labor - cheaper than a set of brake rotors. Another reason not to get paranoid about oil changes.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Again, I think the new car is a great Grand Touring (GT!) street car, and there is a market for that, and Porsche will sell a lot of them. I'd enjoy driving one on some twisty roads. But I would never buy one for track use.
As a pure track car all of the GT models pale in comparison to single seaters or dedicated track hardware. So let's discuss this car for what it is supposed to be: a street legal and street capable car that is also capable on the track.

Now for all you guys knocking the PDK, I think you're totally missing the fact that any actual modern competition car must have a sequential box. This has been required equipment on real competition cars for years. So Porsche's choices:

A) Stick with a manual and move the GT3 that much further away from being a modern competition car.
B) Use an actual sequential gearbox with limited street drive-ability and inherently very high maintenance costs.
C) Modify a PDK to avoid the drive-ability and maintenance of a true sequential, but gain most of the performance and feel of a true modern competition car.

Now given these choices, what should Porsche have done (ignoring the obvious D, provide the option for both)? Realistically, for most track drivers on average, I'll bet that the pdk will cost less over the lifetime of the car than the manual. The reason is simple: no over-revs, no possibility of a money shift. I know of at least one 4.0 that had a full engine rebuild after an on-track money shift, and that ~50k would go a long way towards some fluid changes.

So to me it makes sense that they chose a PDK. You guys saying that means it's not a track car are right- the GT3 has never been a pure track car. What it has been is close, while still making the car also decent and usable on the street. This new car maintains that.

I agree that buckets are needed, and I'm sure they will address that. I personally wish there was a manual option, though I'm quite sure it would sell poorly.

This car seems a natural progression to me, and while I hear the flat-earth guys complaining, all I see is Porsche taking the next logical steps. Would I buy one? No, it's not my cup of tea, what with all this power brakes, power steering, abs and air conditioning crap weighing it down. I'll stick to a car you need to drive for now, though I'm interested to see what they have coming for the RS.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'm out at the Amelia Island concours show today.

Ran into this guy while checking out some of the auction vehicles: https://www.porschedriving.com/Instr...ils.aspx?id=88

He says the new GT3 is going to blow our minds. Night and day over current model.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:18 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Petevb
As a pure track car all of the GT models pale in comparison to single seaters or dedicated track hardware. So let's discuss this car for what it is supposed to be: a street legal and street capable car that is also capable on the track.

Now for all you guys knocking the PDK, I think you're totally missing the fact that any actual modern competition car must have a sequential box. This has been required equipment on real competition cars for years. So Porsche's choices:

A) Stick with a manual and move the GT3 that much further away from being a modern competition car.
B) Use an actual sequential gearbox with limited street drive-ability and inherently very high maintenance costs.
C) Modify a PDK to avoid the drive-ability and maintenance of a true sequential, but gain most of the performance and feel of a true modern competition car.

Now given these choices, what should Porsche have done (ignoring the obvious D, provide the option for both)? Realistically, for most track drivers on average, I'll bet that the pdk will cost less over the lifetime of the car than the manual. The reason is simple: no over-revs, no possibility of a money shift. I know of at least one 4.0 that had a full engine rebuild after an on-track money shift, and that ~50k would go a long way towards some fluid changes.

So to me it makes sense that they chose a PDK. You guys saying that means it's not a track car are right- the GT3 has never been a pure track car. What it has been is close, while still making the car also decent and usable on the street. This new car maintains that.

I agree that buckets are needed, and I'm sure they will address that. I personally wish there was a manual option, though I'm quite sure it would sell poorly.

This car seems a natural progression to me, and while I hear the flat-earth guys complaining, all I see is Porsche taking the next logical steps. Would I buy one? No, it's not my cup of tea, what with all this power brakes, power steering, abs and air conditioning crap weighing it down. I'll stick to a car you need to drive for now, though I'm interested to see what they have coming for the RS.
Very well said Could not agree more. It is all quite obvious, once you accept that the earth is not flat
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:30 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Since this thread is 95 pages, this might be a repost. If not, very well worth watching. The interviewer sounds like he wrote his questions based on this thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 05:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Since this thread is 95 pages, this might be a repost. If not, very well worth watching. The interviewer sounds like he wrote his questions based on this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ECATvlRf3ls
Nooooooo!!! Not a repost....
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Good. Glad I could contribute something positive for a change. The video is long, but completely discusses everyone's reservations about the car. They did a very candid interview.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Good. Glad I could contribute something positive for a change. The video is long, but completely discusses everyone's reservations about the car. They did a very candid interview.

I was just kiddin'...I thought you got the joke...
This video has been posted at least 100 times since Monday.
But I'm glad you've watched it too and got to form an impression about the new GT3.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:52 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

big time repost ...

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!