Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm beginning to lose interest in Porsche if a "GT3" in 2 generations goes from the purest form of driving to more nannies than a GT-R. Makes me sick.

I'm hoping it's a trick and all of this stuff goes on the 991 Turbo.
This is what I fear also.
Old 02-27-2013 | 09:27 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Fair enough. Again, when I asked yesterday what PTV+ was, the definition provided--Porsche's own rhetoric--specifically talked about benefits at corner entry. So again, you are telling me something contrary to Porsche's own rhetoric, from which I formed my comments. As for rear wheel steering, do you REALLY want this sort of complication on track? I am sure it will be flawlessly executed just like the centerlocks...

Mike, I appreciate your point. However, I do trail brake on the street too, even in my daily driver which is a 3/4 ton Suburban.
Dave, I think the copy writer at PAG is probably not a racer. Since PTV provides more torque to the outside wheel, that pretty much rules out corner entry since the car is under power

Yeah, I do wonder if the added technical goodies will complicate maintenance and or give us heartburn. It seemed pretty reliaable back when Honda had it on the Prelude, other than scraping the side of the car if you parked close to a wall!

Carrera - FWIW, I also noticed some funny stuff going on in hard cornering in the 991S, it was a fully loaded car and I suspect the PDDC active roll control gizmo. I've read that there was a software change to fix that but I haven't driven a car with PDDC since. I didn't like the change in cornering attitude which I suspect was caused by PDDC which seemed to change the weighting of the wheels when I really loaded them mid corner. My guess is that adding roll stiffness under load changed the grip on loaded tires. I'm not certain mind you but I didn't like it. At less than the limit it probably makes the car nicer to drive - as in on the road.
Old 02-27-2013 | 10:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm going to stop speculating, because at this point I'm beginning to lose interest in Porsche if a "GT3" in 2 generations goes from the purest form of driving to more nannies than a GT-R. Makes me sick.

I'm hoping it's a trick and all of this stuff goes on the 991 Turbo.
You nailed it.
I'm just as worried as you are.

The PDK and the entire rest of the P alphabet 997TTS is already the fastest car on track with some slicks.

FASTER. Like the GTR is FASTER. Fun? No.

It maybe the AWD, but I think it is mostly nannies. Not the Turbo's as you well know and is proven by well tuned, fun and pure GT2's.

No fast(ish) track junky buys the TTS or GTR, or when they do they dont know how fast to get rid of them. Intermediate drivers or beginners love them. For street driving and bragging rights and track bullying they are awesome. For our hobby, not so much.

If the 991 GT3 goes anything beyond PDK and I think I wont be able to swallow it. I need to prove PDK to myself, some like it some hate it. I think I will get bored, but never tried it long enough on track in anger.

If the GT3 drives anything like a maxed out P everything 991C2S or 997 TTS with P everything, I have no interest at all.

I will judge for myself once the real thing is on track.

With the new prices of the 991, I'm pleased to still have an old beater to have fun with as a slower alternative
Old 02-27-2013 | 11:40 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

""No fast(ish) track junky buys the TTS or GTR, or when they do they dont know how fast to get rid of them. Intermediate drivers or beginners love them. For street driving and bragging rights and track bullying they are awesome. For our hobby, not so much.""

Best statement in this whole discussion.

Peter
Old 02-27-2013 | 12:50 PM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

We certainly live in interesting times. After a few decades of status quo, the "car" paradigm is shifting.

The purist driving involvement and feel were never the goal of engineering in itself. They were merely part of the package that made cars go faster - a driver with feel and skills was essential to a successful winning formula.

During the past 2 decades, we lived in a sweet spot, a perfect balance that seemed it was going to last forever. Cars became fast, reliable, safe, yet the driver's involvement, the feel remained almost intact. The pinnacle of this era was the GT3.

Times are changing. Technology is advancing. What is Porsche supposed to do? Produce "retro" cars or the fastest cars? There in no dilemma in their minds. They are german engineers, not adventurers. Their business strategy was always two-tier: luxury-poser GT cars and true racing. In 2013 a manual transmission is not relevant to either market segment. The PDK only GT3 is a firm longterm statement from the top of the company. They are going to look fantastic in front of a hotel in Montecarlo or Dubai.

Err.. glad to be here guys. I've been lurking for a while. Great reading, mostly.
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Maybe Porsche needs to do another RS America type of car...bare bone no frills on the 991 chassis?
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:34 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Maybe Porsche needs to do another RS America type of car...bare bone no frills on the 991 chassis?
981 is probably a better chassis; what the Cayman R should have been.

2,750-2,800 lb. curb weight (PCCB, GT2 seats, delete AC, delete PCM, radio, etc., CF body panels, delete sound deadening around engine, lighter exhaust, Lion battery, and so on)

350 hp engine from 991 Carrera including option of the 981 6MT or PDK (if you must)

Very light (and narrow) front wheels/tires - unassisted steering rack

Colors - Maritime Blue, Zanzibar Red, Mint Green, Speed Yellow, etc.
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:41 PM
PCH
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
I hope they're listening!
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guest89

2,750-2,800 lb. curb weight (PCCB, GT2 seats, delete AC, delete PCM, radio, etc., CF body panels, delete sound deadening around engine, lighter exhaust, Lion battery, and so on)

350 hp engine from 991 Carrera including option of the 981 6MT or PDK (if you must)

Oh No you didnt!
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:08 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Make it the 400hp Carrera S engine and I'll be first in line. Zanzibar Red please.
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:27 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

This thread has become exhaustive.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Fair enough. Again, when I asked yesterday what PTV+ was, the definition provided--Porsche's own rhetoric--specifically talked about benefits at corner entry. So again, you are telling me something contrary to Porsche's own rhetoric, from which I formed my comments. As for rear wheel steering, do you REALLY want this sort of complication on track? I am sure it will be flawlessly executed just like the centerlocks...

Mike, I appreciate your point. However, I do trail brake on the street too, even in my daily driver which is a 3/4 ton Suburban.
Dave, I have absolutely no doubt you trail brake on the street, but probably not every turn and corner. Anyway, the good news is if that if you ever find yourself forced to drive a PTV equipped car, it won't interfere with your fun.

BTW, I know we're hearing this stuff now about 4 wheel steering. I can't believe it will be standard equipment. Usefulness aside, people are just trying to stir the pot on that one.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

These assumptions about all cars with alphabet bits being potentially boring/uninvolving/unchallenging etc. etc. are interesting. I'm just wondering how many here have watched the full video of Timo Kluck in the 991S with PDK, PDCC, PASM, PTV, and so on setting that 7:38.9 time at the Ring. Assumptions aside, did that run appear to be boring, uninvolving, and unchallenging to you? It looked to me like Kluck was having a great time, and that his skills were being tested, but I guess I could be wrong......
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Special When Lit
Actual Porsche Zanzibar Red would be this one (although it's imposible to depict this color properly as it varies so much depending on sun exposure)
Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Zanzibar Red please.
Wow, I never would have thought there would be that much interest in 'Zanzibar Red' in this forum. Here it how it really looks on a gt3 (see first photo below). It was not exactly Porsche's most popular 'colour' on a RS. Porsche of Downtown LA took a flyer with this PTS gt3 RS in 2010. It didn't exactly take off fast from their showroom floor...if you know what I mean.

'Signal Yellow', on the other hand, is a winner. The factory allowed one PTS 'Signal Yellow' .2 gt3 RS to be done for the UK market. It then stopped allowing this color to be ordered. We don't know why but assume it was related to paint fading issues on our modern automotive materials. That has killed 'Signal Yellow' chances for the 991 gt3, I am afraid!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2013 | 02:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Make it the 400hp Carrera S engine and I'll be first in line. Zanzibar Red please.
Wait for the 960 GT model.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!