The following users liked this post:
911-140.6 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:35 PM
Ronnie Candiloro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DDE997
Sure is, I have a bumper to bumper warranty till 2030 on my 2015 .1
So in my mind this takes care of any concern folks have with the motor. I've had a lobster eye on 991.1 GT3s for a while now and would absolutely purchase an extended warranty if I was buying one of these cars.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:42 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Pre Covid, .1’s were available for 100-110. The bounce back had nothing to do with the car.
You just made my point, nobody knows what longterm solutions will be available for these cars when the 10yr engine warranty and how it will affect the car's current/future value. I wouldn't trade my car, even with a "bad motor", for a 997.1 / .2 GT3 anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDCR:
AndrewLakes (01-17-2023), sdm100 (01-16-2023), Summerjack (03-22-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:17 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
You just made my point, nobody knows what longterm solutions will be available for these cars when the 10yr engine warranty and how it will affect the car's current/future value. I wouldn't trade my car, even with a "bad motor", for a 997.1 / .2 GT3 anyway.
The point is that those 991.1 price predictions were a real possibility as pricing was close and trending that way. A global pandemic changed the course of car pricing.

It appears that that, at least currently, the long term solution is a replacement engine. Hopefully a better (more economical) solution will come to the market but the comment from Dundon is concerning.

Re 997’s. Looks like you are mixing conversations. The point there is that, if $ were equal, who wouldn’t take the .2 version of any generation.

Last edited by BryanCO; 01-17-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:41 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

Re 997’s. Looks like you are mixing conversations. The point there is that, if $ were equal, who wouldn’t take the .2 version of any generation.
I'm weird but I prefer the 997.1 in both RS and GT3 forms to the 997.2. Not that I don't love the 997.2.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:10 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jickel180
I'm weird but I prefer the 997.1 in both RS and GT3 forms to the 997.2. Not that I don't love the 997.2.
Each generation and iteration are great.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:25 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Is that the latest? The project he was working on with PD (https://performancedevelopments.com/under-development/) was an entire solid valvetrain. I know he hinted around the job not exactly being cheap, so maybe it's more economical to put a .2 in there now.
I own Performance Developments and developed the 991.1 solid finger conversion. The engine(s) I saw had damaged followers, cam lobes and all that trash had gone through the entire engine requiring a full rebuild. This is where the costs rose fast. At that time, there was no other alternative other than a complete engine swap. Hopefully most will require just the conversion. This will be an alternative to a complete engine swap. Owners will make their choice and go with what they think is the best solution.

We stopped making the conversion parts after the warrant offer by Porsche. However, we will start to offer these parts soon, through Dundon Motorsports, as the end of the warranty period gets closer for some.

The conversion requires the cylinder heads to be machined for the new follower base, new camshaft design (recut) on stock shafts as the conversion from hydraulic to solid requires a different profile. Its not cheap as the conversion is quite involved. The stock design is quite odd. The hydraulic design pushes the finger hard into the cam base under oil pressure removing the lash for oil to remove the heat created in this sort of mechanical design. The oil spray bar is at the lower side under the Exhaust cam and the oil has no chance of getting upwards to the Intake fingers. Our design has an oil spray built into the follower base directing oil to each finger and cam lobe.

The later solid design that Porsche produced cannot be swapped out into these earlier engines.

All steel when produced has inclusions. The fingers as well. Some of these inclusions were towards the top surface of the fingers and under extreme pressure and temperature, the surface material broke down and the damage started. The DLC coating certainly gave the surface a harder wearing surface, but the design still lacks the oil (gap) to remove the temperature from the friction created from the metal on metal contact.

I have photos of the conversion. I need to go back and find them and will post.

The following 8 users liked this post by Neil Harvey:
BLKMamba (01-19-2023), Dave's911 (01-19-2023), itrsteve (01-18-2023), Manifold (01-19-2023), NFSF (05-11-2023), NNayak (01-18-2023), rekka (02-23-2024), sdm100 (01-19-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2023, 01:30 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
I own Performance Developments and developed the 991.1 solid finger conversion. The engine(s) I saw had damaged followers, cam lobes and all that trash had gone through the entire engine requiring a full rebuild. This is where the costs rose fast. At that time, there was no other alternative other than a complete engine swap. Hopefully most will require just the conversion. This will be an alternative to a complete engine swap. Owners will make their choice and go with what they think is the best solution.

We stopped making the conversion parts after the warrant offer by Porsche. However, we will start to offer these parts soon, through Dundon Motorsports, as the end of the warranty period gets closer for some.

The conversion requires the cylinder heads to be machined for the new follower base, new camshaft design (recut) on stock shafts as the conversion from hydraulic to solid requires a different profile. Its not cheap as the conversion is quite involved. The stock design is quite odd. The hydraulic design pushes the finger hard into the cam base under oil pressure removing the lash for oil to remove the heat created in this sort of mechanical design. The oil spray bar is at the lower side under the Exhaust cam and the oil has no chance of getting upwards to the Intake fingers. Our design has an oil spray built into the follower base directing oil to each finger and cam lobe.

The later solid design that Porsche produced cannot be swapped out into these earlier engines.

All steel when produced has inclusions. The fingers as well. Some of these inclusions were towards the top surface of the fingers and under extreme pressure and temperature, the surface material broke down and the damage started. The DLC coating certainly gave the surface a harder wearing surface, but the design still lacks the oil (gap) to remove the temperature from the friction created from the metal on metal contact.

I have photos of the conversion. I need to go back and find them and will post.
Great info!
Old 01-18-2023, 01:40 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Actual numbers and $ ranges to better define "Cheap" & "Expensive" would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:30 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

@Neil Harvey: Does your comment, "the design still lacks the oil (gap) to remove the temperature from the friction created from the metal on metal contact" imply that the G6-series motors still carry over this flawed design?
Have anyone yet dissected a G6 since release to observe damage?
I saw how damaged my E-series motor was, and no way would I had rebuilt that motor provided all the contaminants that went throughout the entire system.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:17 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Originally Posted by TinyPP
Actual numbers and $ ranges to better define "Cheap" & "Expensive" would be greatly appreciated.

I actually do not know the costs, today. Understand completely the request. The engine disassembly and inspection can be quoted, as can the machine work required on the cylinder heads, the head reassembly and the engine reassembly. We will ask our supplier for the current costs of the parts. Today, I do not know the cost of the fingers etc as these were made several years ago and I am sure the costs have risen since then.

The cam profile is changed to run a solid valve train. I have several designs completed for this along with cam designs for the .2 model engine with the solid fingers. These will add some performance as a added benefit. In the in end, there will be other alternatives I'm sure.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:26 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Originally Posted by slipaway37
@Neil Harvey: Does your comment, "the design still lacks the oil (gap) to remove the temperature from the friction created from the metal on metal contact" imply that the G6-series motors still carry over this flawed design?
Have anyone yet dissected a G6 since release to observe damage?
I saw how damaged my E-series motor was, and no way would I had rebuilt that motor provided all the contaminants that went throughout the entire system.
Yes it does. The exact same cylinder head, spray bar location and the exact same finger design and hydraulic actuation. The difference was the coating that gave the surfaces a harder wearing surface. There is not a lot you could have done,(Porsche) other than the band aid they did. The DLC certainly made a difference.

The .2 engine was changed over to solids to get away from the .1 design. It was never for a performance upgrade, although it can add some performance.

In my opinion, someone was asleep at the wheel when the .1 design was Ok'ed.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:33 PM
Neil Harvey
Advanced

Our 991.1 solid conversion. Plates are to hold the fingers in place. Simplest way to solve this problem.

This is the Porsche 991.2 solid finger assembly. You can just make out the oil spray jet just ahead of the finger axle.
The following 4 users liked this post by Neil Harvey:
itrsteve (01-18-2023), NNayak (01-18-2023), RDCR (01-18-2023), rekka (02-23-2024)
Old 01-18-2023, 05:34 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Yes it does. The exact same cylinder head, spray bar location and the exact same finger design and hydraulic actuation. The difference was the coating that gave the surfaces a harder wearing surface. There is not a lot you could have done,(Porsche) other than the band aid they did. The DLC certainly made a difference.

The .2 engine was changed over to solids to get away from the .1 design. It was never for a performance upgrade, although it can add some performance.

In my opinion, someone was asleep at the wheel when the .1 design was Ok'ed.
Oh boy....
Time to start putting on some serious miles to obtain as many new motors as possible next 78k or 5.5 years!
Thanks for the information.

Last edited by slipaway37; 01-19-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:36 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Our 991.1 solid conversion. Plates are to hold the fingers in place. Simplest way to solve this problem.

This is the Porsche 991.2 solid finger assembly. You can just make out the oil spray jet just ahead of the finger axle.
Why the heck have Porsche not also done such a 'simple' fix as you put it into the G-series motors? Seems they'd want a permanent fix over continuously handing out new (flawed) motors?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends