Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

^My guess is that anyone who had a .1 and drove a .2 manual isn't going to be nearly as sensitive to the change of direction this car makes with RWS/PTV, compared to someone like myself who skipped the .1. Joe probably doesn't even notice it, is my guess, other than it's a bit more playful maybe.

I think I'm just uber sensitive, given all my other cars are fixed rear axle "analog" type cars.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Joe, I was wondering, after a few more track days, what do you think of the N1 Cup 2s vs. RE-71R? (how many miles do they last, are they consistent throughout the track session? They do seem to still be fast assuming you're on your first set!)

Also, any unpredictability with the RWS when throwing the car around? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nderway-6.html)

Oh yeah, and how's the brake bias and any more brake shudder with the new calipers/discs?
I find them to both be pretty similar in terms of grip, wear, and consistency.
I've never noticed RWS, even in the .1. I'm not sure why people talk about turning it off or removing it.
No brake shudder problems on the AP calipers/discs. They work perfectly.

Originally Posted by Mvez
^My guess is that anyone who had a .1 and drove a .2 manual isn't going to be nearly as sensitive to the change of direction this car makes with RWS/PTV, compared to someone like myself who skipped the .1. Joe probably doesn't even notice it, is my guess, other than it's a bit more playful maybe.

I think I'm just uber sensitive, given all my other cars are fixed rear axle "analog" type cars.
LOL! Yeah, you guessed right. I can't tell any difference, but I never noticed on the .1 either because the .1 was my first GT3.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't find RWS intrusive or unpredictable in its behaviour, in fact i find it just stops the GT3 from understeering..Its absolutely essential that the geo settings are spot on in the latest GT3 otherwise it messes with the RWS calibration..Toe needs to be exactly OEM with the front at 0.Its also important that the 'steer ahead' is exastly 0..Mine is a PDK which is less sensitive to change in direction compare to the Manual as the computers on the E -diff,PDK,RWS,PTV+ are able to communicate with each other..
I've never driven a manual 991GT3 yet i know some people who own them who say the manual is much spikier to drive compared to the PDK..With my rather amateur driving abilities its just as well i chose the PDK version//
Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Most modern (last 20-40 years) cars have some form of rear wheel steering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeri...wheel_steering ). It's just passive, relying on suspension compression from weight transfer to point the wheels where needed, but at higher speeds, the effect is the same, with the exception that it's not as precise due to rubber bushings being a sloppy tool, and delayed due to weight transfer taking some time. This lag between front and passive rear steer sometimes creates either turn-in oversteer or mid-corner understeer behaviors for some cars.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:05 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I actually don't even know. I never had the alignment checked after taking delivery. I have no idea what the car is currently set at. Just ran it with whatever it came with from the factory. I believe Dave has posted what his settings were from the factory, but I don't recall what they were...
Originally Posted by C2Spin
For reference. My .2 factory camber settings were: FL - 1.7; FR - 1.9; RL - 1.9; RR - 1.8
I'm sure this varies on equipment, but my .2 was -1.6 Square.

I went up, only to help with tire wear.

Interesting to see that you went stiffer with the rear bar, I left that middle and stiffened the front bar. Maybe with the RS I should plan to leave it stock and just mess with Sway Bar settings? Though I'll most likely be using Hoosier's... which seem to always enjoy more camber.

Great lap Joe! And I'll be looking forward to your RS updates, as mine isn't scheduled to be here until January.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Sway bar

Great lap at LS Joe,

what was your easoning for stiffening the rear bar?

I just picked up my 991.2 gt3 last week (pdk) Did the pca event at barber this weekend. My previous personal best in my 991 gt3 (also pdk) was 1:42.8. And that was running track alignment, wider cup 2 tires, adjusted sway bar settings (front full stiff and rear full soft) lighter battery etc (fwiw)

I repeatedly beat my prior time. ran 1:42.19 early on. And my Best was 1:41.9. That’s running a completely stock 991.2.
Grip was impressive.
Funny thing is that the tire wear was even. Doesn’t even appear to need any camber. I will add some camber later but only because I’ll be running Hoosiers.

I was super impressed with the 991.2. It is an impressive car out of the box. The rs is going to be insane joe.

The only issue i encountered was a little understeer and push mid corner. Wondering if that’s why you are trying stiff rear sway bar.

Oh and the othet issue was wind buffeting. I did not have time to get the aftermarket replacement pieces. But after one session, it was unbearable. My eyes were blurred from the buffeting. I had to create a temp solution. And it worked. But ordering the real aftermarket part now

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'm sure this varies on equipment, but my .2 was -1.6 Square.

I went up, only to help with tire wear.

Interesting to see that you went stiffer with the rear bar, I left that middle and stiffened the front bar. Maybe with the RS I should plan to leave it stock and just mess with Sway Bar settings? Though I'll most likely be using Hoosier's... which seem to always enjoy more camber.

Great lap Joe! And I'll be looking forward to your RS updates, as mine isn't scheduled to be here until January.

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks, Dave.

Yes, the car seemed to want to understeer more than I would want, particularly on exit. The front end would lift and the car would push wide. Switching to stiff rear bar fixed that problem for me. I left the front in the middle.
On my .1 GT3 I had the sway bar settings on full stiff front and soft rear, but I ran -2.7/-2.4 camber on that car along with toe in rear and toe out front, so that makes things different.

For the RS, I think it's good to try playing with the sway bar settings to your liking first before changing anything. However, that is with the stock tires. If you're going hoosier, you might as well just bump up the camber right away and go from there. Do they make hoosier in RS sizes? the rear wheels are 21"

My RS got bumped up to August build. I'm scheduled for Leipzig delivery on 9/12!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Great lap at LS Joe,

what was your easoning for stiffening the rear bar?

I just picked up my 991.2 gt3 last week (pdk) Did the pca event at barber this weekend. My previous personal best in my 991 gt3 (also pdk) was 1:42.8. And that was running track alignment, wider cup 2 tires, adjusted sway bar settings (front full stiff and rear full soft) lighter battery etc (fwiw)

I repeatedly beat my prior time. ran 1:42.19 early on. And my Best was 1:41.9. That’s running a completely stock 991.2.
Grip was impressive.
Funny thing is that the tire wear was even. Doesn’t even appear to need any camber. I will add some camber later but only because I’ll be running Hoosiers.

I was super impressed with the 991.2. It is an impressive car out of the box. The rs is going to be insane joe.

The only issue i encountered was a little understeer and push mid corner. Wondering if that’s why you are trying stiff rear sway bar.

Oh and the othet issue was wind buffeting. I did not have time to get the aftermarket replacement pieces. But after one session, it was unbearable. My eyes were blurred from the buffeting. I had to create a temp solution. And it worked. But ordering the real aftermarket part now
OOooo.. love your new Solo2.

Yeah, the front tires do wear pretty evenly on stock alignment and tires. The rear outer edges do wear unevenly, though.
Yes, I felt that the car would understeer some on midcorner, and when you add power on exit the front end would lift and the car would push wide on exit, so you would have to lift the throttle to stay on course. Moving the rear bar to stiff fixed that.
Yes, the buffeting is really bad unless you add the foils. Sometimes you cant even see the buffeting is so bad!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,649 Likes on 766 Posts

Very good lap Joe. I’d love to see you have a clean clear few laps!
Throw some R7’s one :-)

Closed windows and turn signals for point by’s would solve that..
BTW, with .2RS spring rates one a .1RS I have to run sway bars full soft front and rear.

I would love to know the shock valving and sway bar torsion of the new .2RS as well..
How would I get that data??
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

OOooo.. love your new Solo2.

Yeah, the front tires do wear pretty evenly on stock alignment and tires. The rear outer edges do wear unevenly, though.
Yes, I felt that the car would understeer some on midcorner, and when you add power on exit the front end would lift and the car would push wide on exit, so you would have to lift the throttle to stay on course. Moving the rear bar to stiff fixed that.
Yes, the buffeting is really bad unless you add the foils. Sometimes you cant even see the buffeting is so bad!
The new solo works like a charm. very happy with it and the new version of the smarty cam

Gotcha. I'll give that a whirl next on the rear sway bar. I was debating on softening the front, but I'll try the stiffer rear first and go from there.

Hard to believe porsche would send these cars out of the factory with the wind buffeting issue...... but its an easy fix. I suppose the perfect car has to have some flaw to make it real...... half joke...the 991.2 is hard to beat
Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks, Dave.

Do they make hoosier in RS sizes? the rear wheels are 21"

My RS got bumped up to August build. I'm scheduled for Leipzig delivery on 9/12!
No, I figure I'll probably run the 20" 265 front 335 Rear on the RS.

Congrats on Leipzig, you are going to LOVE IT! I'd recommend 'adding' Zuffenhausen to the list as well... they will include it as a no cost add on... and you cans the GT Cars getting built. Though, Leipzig is still better because of the track time in 'their' car.

What tracks/plans do you have intended for your 'tour'?

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very good lap Joe. I’d love to see you have a clean clear few laps!
Throw some R7’s one :-)

Closed windows and turn signals for point by’s would solve that..
BTW, with .2RS spring rates one a .1RS I have to run sway bars full soft front and rear.

I would love to know the shock valving and sway bar torsion of the new .2RS as well..
How would I get that data??
Thanks, man. Tempting to try one set for the heck of it for sure, but requires the proper setup in terms of alignment and time is up.
Yes, closed windows would solve the buffeting problem. LOL
You've got .2RS springs already? nice.
I have no idea....

Originally Posted by 911therapy
The new solo works like a charm. very happy with it and the new version of the smarty cam

Gotcha. I'll give that a whirl next on the rear sway bar. I was debating on softening the front, but I'll try the stiffer rear first and go from there.

Hard to believe porsche would send these cars out of the factory with the wind buffeting issue...... but its an easy fix. I suppose the perfect car has to have some flaw to make it real...... half joke...the 991.2 is hard to beat
Yeah, I prefer to not run a soft front bar if possible for fear of the front tires rolling over more and for fear of losing rear end grip on exit. I also hoped the stiffer rear bar might help with the outer edge wear of the rear tires.
I have a feeling that adding the wind foil screws with the aerodynamics, but it's screwed anyway with having to put our windows down...

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
No, I figure I'll probably run the 20" 265 front 335 Rear on the RS.

Congrats on Leipzig, you are going to LOVE IT! I'd recommend 'adding' Zuffenhausen to the list as well... they will include it as a no cost add on... and you cans the GT Cars getting built. Though, Leipzig is still better because of the track time in 'their' car.

What tracks/plans do you have intended for your 'tour'?

Best Regards,
Dave
So you and trakcar are running aftermarket 20" wheels on the RS to run R7s?
Thanks. Zuffenhausen factory tour is on the intinerary and all setup.
Also doing an RSR Spa track day and was fortunate to time it with a ring track day:
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives...hleife-xl.html
Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I run 19” on RS. Ride height drop is huge.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:27 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I run 19” on RS. Ride height drop is huge.
ugh. too much work. Don't want to put in the work anymore. Stock everything for me from now on. LOL
Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just wheels.
C’mon..

You know, after ED, they will Ship to any US dealer.
Maybe visit Florida first ;-)

Quick Reply: Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread