Sponsored by:

Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Actually, they don't. The highest that the right side (ccw track) jumps to is 36psi in the rear and 35psi in the front. As the day gets warmer, the pressures don't get any higher. I got a tip from a friend once and who taught me that the delta from cold to hot should be even and not the actual pressure. The more you drop the pressure during the day, the more you are putting heat into the tire and causing overheat. This leads to inconsistent and slower times as the day goes on. I've found my times to be more consistent throughout a session and throughout the day when I don't mess with the pressures.
Originally Posted by Manifold
It also depends on how much the ambient temp varies during the day. In my neck of the woods, that could be as much about 40 F, which adds about another 4 psi. I typically start the day cold at around 28 psi, bleed down to my target at the end of the first session, then check and bleed a little after subsequent sessions if needed. That sometimes means I need to add some air before the first session next morning if the ambient temp is cold. Generally, I avoid driving the car outside a range of about 26 to 40 psi to avoid tire damage or badly uneven wear.
Good stuff to think about.

I used to try to leave it alone, at track days in Europe where it was cold it kinda worked and I wasn't 10/10th.
Would be so nice.

But even when its relatively cool at Sebring (70F) they just shoot up, all the way to 40PSI for the second session if I would start at 25.
I've tried this when the outside tire was completely corded. Typical Sebring morning is say 70F and at noon its 90F
Start at 22 goes to 32 first session then 34-35 and so on. By mid day I am at 18-19PSI to keep them under 32.

Nitro expands less because its dryer, so I think the extreme humidity and sun on the asphalt here is what makes the difference VS the super dry air you guys run.

If I want to be 29F and 32R on Hoosiers, I need to start on 18-20 and 20-22 Roughly, they take the increase better then the MPSC2, I think.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I used to try to leave it alone, at track days in Europe where it was cold it kinda worked and I wasn't 10/10th.
Would be so nice.

But even when its relatively cool at Sebring (70F) they just shoot up, all the way to 40PSI for the second session if I would start at 25.
I've tried this when the outside tire was completely corded. Typical Sebring morning is say 70F and at noon its 90F
Start at 22 goes to 32 first session then 34-35 and so on. By mid day I am at 18-19PSI to keep them under 32.

Nitro expands less because its dryer, so I think the extreme humidity and sun on the asphalt here is what makes the difference VS the super dry air you guys run.
Interesting, my hot pressures drop pretty slowly. If I let the car sit for hours after my last session, then add air before I go home to get say 33 psi, the next day the cold pressures are way too low, so they keep dropping for many hours.

One possible explanation is that Joe and I are too slow to get the pressures to increase more than 10-11 psi.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Nope! Believe it! LOL!
Actually, the stock wheels I've run have worked out really well and you really can't notice any damage on them despite the usage.

Clutch is very light, but I'm ok with that. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I get back into a GT car after racing spec miata all of this year so far. I'll spend this month seeing what I can do with the GT3 at our 3 tracks. After that, it's back to racing. They sure do know how to keep you coming back. I'm currently in first for the seasonal championship in ITA, and in a respectable position in SMT. Do I go for it all, or just take a step back and stop burning money... ? LOL
Dude, these miata units are turning out to be more costly than tracking a Porsche! LOL!
Hahaha- you should see my last three month stretch of banging around with my Spec Racer Ford- That will make you think racing is not for the faint of heart! But that just makes the success all the sweeter. Keep it up, I haven't seen any posts on your racing, would love to follow along on how you're doing. I have my blog here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ur-blog-3.html. The link is also in my signature. Just an example of what you have to look forward to as you move up to the front- here's my (short) video of my start at the Button Willow super tour race on Sunday, LOL!:

Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting, my hot pressures drop pretty slowly. If I let the car sit for hours after my last session, then add air before I go home to get say 33 psi, the next day the cold pressures are way too low, so they keep dropping for many hours.

One possible explanation is that Joe and I are too slow to get the pressures to increase more than 10-11 psi.
I am 100% sure that's not it haha.
Another good point, Its an issue after a 2-3 hours of lunch and I got in the car on a cold 40F morning and the PSI dropped to 14-15! So about 50% of where I was the day before in 75F end of the day.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Hahaha- you should see my last three month stretch of banging around with my Spec Racer Ford- That will make you think racing is not for the faint of heart! But that just makes the success all the sweeter. Keep it up, I haven't seen any posts on your racing, would love to follow along on how you're doing. I have my blog here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ur-blog-3.html. The link is also in my signature. Just an example of what you have to look forward to as you move up to the front- here's my (short) video of my start at the Button Willow super tour race on Sunday, LOL!:

Thanks, man. I have videos of my races posted on my YouTube channel. It's been super fun. I've managed to podium 5 out of 8 races and have one checkered flag so far. The addiction is real. Lol!

Will you be at the majors event at Sonoma in June?
Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One nice thing is that Porsche improved the oil level measurement process. There is actually a timer now telling you that it is actively measuring rather than just sitting there and wondering if it is doing anything.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2018, 03:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just wanna dipstick.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
ms550
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be nice if they put a shift light in those manuals. Ortho Joe, You look like Joerg Bergmeister flogging that thing around.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:07 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

One nice thing is that Porsche improved the oil level measurement process. There is actually a timer now telling you that it is actively measuring rather than just sitting there and wondering if it is doing anything.
I just wanna dipstick.
hahaha i agree with BOTH comments!!!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I just wanna dipstick.
That's what I thought too, until I stumbled across this thread (the 996 GT3 guys want a digital gauge ):

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-failures.html
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

OK, maybe not then. Or a really good dipstick at least!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ms550
Would be nice if they put a shift light in those manuals. Ortho Joe, You look like Joerg Bergmeister flogging that thing around.
Lol, thanks! I need to be smoother

A shift light would be really nice. Do we know if those that got the sport chrono option have the shift light like in the GT4? I probably should have paid the $500 if that is the case.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Would be so nice.

If I want to be 29F and 32R on Hoosiers, I need to start on 18-20 and 20-22 Roughly, they take the increase better then the MPSC2, I think.
Your brave running Hoosiers that low in pressure on a car over 3000 lbs. Amazing you have not had sidewall issue's.

Your starting pressure's are well below what Hoosier consider's safe for their tires (minimum 26psi)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Lol, thanks! I need to be smoother

A shift light would be really nice. Do we know if those that got the sport chrono option have the shift light like in the GT4? I probably should have paid the $500 if that is the case.
If it's like the GT4, then the dealer can program the shift light thing to appear if they know what they're doing. But is it really that useful down in the dash?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Your brave running Hoosiers that low in pressure on a car over 3000 lbs. Amazing you have not had sidewall issue's.

Your starting pressure's are well below what Hoosier consider's safe for their tires (minimum 26psi)
Takes 3 careful laps of hard braking to go 26+PSI.
On lap 3 I go. But no curbs.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread