Sponsored by:

Check in Here if you have a 991.2 GT3 PTS Order

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:42 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Since the touring is exclusively available w/6MT that's not relevant.

I'd argue that *most* of the RL'ers that are prepared to pay the premium for PTS are (self-selecting) "purists"/enthusiasts that prefer the engagement (and challenge) that the 6MT offers, and are less concerned about "video-game" lap time records that PDK-S affords... my $0.02 YMMV.
In that case, why not choose a touring version ? Or this is a matter of personal aesthetic for big wings ?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by esse10229
In that case, why not choose a touring version ? Or this is a matter of personal aesthetic for big wings ?
if it doesn't have a wing - its not a GT3 (IMHO) ... if you don't want a wing (because apparently that makes you "noticeable") ... buy a GTS (with back seats too)... or an R...

you asked ... YMMV
Old 12-29-2017, 07:06 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Since the touring is exclusively available w/6MT that's not relevant.

I'd argue that *most* of the RL'ers that are prepared to pay the premium for PTS are (self-selecting) "purists"/enthusiasts that prefer the engagement (and challenge) that the 6MT offers, and are less concerned about "video-game" lap time records that PDK-S affords... my $0.02 YMMV.
Except for nutters like me who love having a MT on track.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
moi aussi mon ami
Old 12-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

I am really surprised to see such a big difference in percentage b/t PDK and MT in PTS GT3s. For me, seeing such a favor towards MT would make more sense on touring version. From Cams post, it seems such difference is much smaller b/t non-PTS GT3 (48%pdk vs 52%mt).
Why such a big favor toward MT for PTS?
This may be pure speculation on my part, but if I had to make an educated guess many ppl in the MT camp would consider holding on to the car longer term (and if one had a longer term horizon 'amortizing' the escalated cost of PTS is easier to stomach). While no one knows if there will be another manual GT3, surely there will be another PDK GT3 (and surely it will be 'better'). I reckon many ppl in the manual camp are thinking this is one special car that we may have very well seen the last of (manual, naturally aspirated, etc.), and why not make a special car that much 'special-er', particularly if holding period is the long haul.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

It’s always a keeper until the next keeper replaces it.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Nope! Disagree. Compare it against ANY silver/gray color that Porsche has offered and it would come out bottom.... nuff said
You completely missed the point.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

if it doesn't have a wing - its not a GT3
Agree.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I am really surprised to see such a big difference in percentage b/t PDK and MT in PTS GT3s. For me, seeing such a favor towards MT would make more sense on touring version. From Cams post, it seems such difference is much smaller b/t non-PTS GT3 (48%pdk vs 52%mt).
Why such a big favor toward MT for PTS?
the first batch of cars did not have MT or PTS as an option.
if they did, perhaps we may see more pts on pdk
Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
This may be pure speculation on my part, but if I had to make an educated guess many ppl in the MT camp would consider holding on to the car longer term (and if one had a longer term horizon 'amortizing' the escalated cost of PTS is easier to stomach). While no one knows if there will be another manual GT3, surely there will be another PDK GT3 (and surely it will be 'better'). I reckon many ppl in the manual camp are thinking this is one special car that we may have very well seen the last of (manual, naturally aspirated, etc.), and why not make a special car that much 'special-er', particularly if holding period is the long haul.
+1. That's certainly my thinking. Want to make this one a keeper.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Report from ISUK in UK...

One more part to the puzzle as how PAG negotiated PTS, or the lack of it, on the .2 991
gt3 for the UK market. Compare to Australia (5 PTS reported), Canada (25 or so PTS)
and the US (still counting!). We will come back to these reports & try to make sense of
how/what PAG did differently re: PTS on the .2 991 gt3 (from previous history of handling
PTS
) when we (hopefully) learn final PTS numbers for this current gt3 model in all markets!

Originally Posted by ISUK
Eduardo, I was told that Porsche GB made a deal with the factory to forego PTS on the
991.2 GT3 in return for securing a larger production allocation. PTS is also not available
for PTS here due to the limited production window for that model. Apparently the factory
is ceasing production for several months and the reason I was given was that the entire
petrol engine range is going through an emissions re-certification process. Just to add
further mystery I was advised that PTS may be withdrawn as an option as it is causing
too many production delay issues. This seems strange after your informative posts above
showing how relatively easy it is for the new paint shop to accommodate PTS.
Thank you ISUK. Very interesting information you are providing us from the UK.
In case folks don't know/remember ISUK in this forum, this gentleman is a known
collector in Britain of German & Italian sport cars with a particular taste for PTS!

In addition, he figured out how the Targa top on the 991 was going to mechanically
work before PAG announced its particulars!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7920...ry-2014-a.html

So when ISUK posts, I listen! He is well connected!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-30-2017, 01:58 AM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a PTS that has already exited the plant and its a PDK! I have a manual car too and in my opinion there just isn't a better non-manual trans than the PDK in the GT3! I live in a place with plenty of twisty mtn roads so I completely understand the draw of the manual but damn that PDK is good! I do track the car too and it just rips and it keeps my from ripping past that little red 9k line.

To that point...I get plenty of time banging gears in my shifter cart and hopefully soon in the US built Cross Karts. LyfeMotorsports has teamed up with a few motorsports Icons to bring these machines to the US. In typical US fashion the 750cc GSXR motors will be replaced with Yamaha R1 motor! As they say...its the most fun you can have with your clothes on! You will see and hear more about these soon!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
CrossKart Utah .mov (1.87 MB, 74 views)
Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 AM
esse10229
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UT911GTS
I have a PTS that has already exited the plant and its a PDK! I have a manual car too and in my opinion there just isn't a better non-manual trans than the PDK in the GT3! I live in a place with plenty of twisty mtn roads so I completely understand the draw of the manual but damn that PDK is good! I do track the car too and it just rips and it keeps my from ripping past that little red 9k line.

To that point...I get plenty of time banging gears in my shifter cart and hopefully soon in the US built Cross Karts. LyfeMotorsports has teamed up with a few motorsports Icons to bring these machines to the US. In typical US fashion the 750cc GSXR motors will be replaced with Yamaha R1 motor! As they say...its the most fun you can have with your clothes on! You will see and hear more about these soon!
Thanks for sharing UT911GTS. I have my PTS allocation secured. However, I am still debate whether I should get a PDK or MT. I will use the car for track event 10-15 times/yr, and wondering if the mechanical diff in MT cars will give me problems so that I will have to upgrade in the future.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
this was my rationale when I first heard the GT3 could be specc'd with a manual.
my eyes glazed over and I said, "Right, time to build a keeper to cherish forever."
Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

if it doesn't have a wing - its not a GT3 (IMHO) ... if you don't want a wing (because apparently that makes you "noticeable") ... buy a GTS (with back seats too)... or an R...

you asked ... YMMV
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Agree with all of this....

Quick Reply: Check in Here if you have a 991.2 GT3 PTS Order