Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Targa to be shown at Detroit's North American Auto Show in January, 2014!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 991 Targa to be shown at Detroit's North American Auto Show in January, 2014!

Published Dec 20, 2013 2:00 pm By Michael Gauthier

"The North American International Auto Show has released a partial list of models that will celebrate their global debut in Detroit. While some of the cars have already been announced, the list confirms we will see the...Porsche 911 Targa. The North American International Auto Show kicks off on January 13th, so expect to learn more details in the coming weeks. Source: North American International Auto Show"

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11312206...arga-confirmed
Posted on 12.13.2013 13:30 by Justin Cupler / Topspeed.com

"The image above gives us some details on the 911 Targa, like the price range $100k to $120k, and that it will debut at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show with an April 2014 release. We also learned that it will be based on the 4 and 4S models."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche...-ar130625.html
Posted by Christopher Bruce 2013-12-20 18:02:31

"Porsche 911 Targa Debuting for NAIAS in Detroit. It has been confirmed as a production car debut. Porsche...has snuck out the news that it will reveal the latest Porsche 911 Targa at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 13 and 14.

While it has not made an official announcement about the car, it is listed on the production cars that will be revealed at the show. The list also includes two Volkswagen concepts that had not been previously announced and two new Audi production cars for North America..."

http://www.autoviva.com/article/pors..._detroit/12718

"2015 Porsche 911 Targa to Debut at 2014 Detroit Auto Show. For those Porsche purists mourning the days of air-cooled engines and hydraulic steering racks, here is some consolation: a French magazine has confirmed that Porsche will reinstate the 911 Targa to their lineup at next year’s Detroit Auto Show. In addition to being an attractive and safer option for Porschephiles looking for an open-top experience, the Targa-roofed 911s have significant brand history with Porsche, making the new Targa sure to sell well with those nostalgic for 911s of the past.

The 911 Targa was first introduced in 1967 as a precautionary measure for Porsche — the company believed that fully convertible models would be outlawed by the NHTSA by right of their compromised safety. However, the Targa’s fixed front and rear windshields provided built-in rollover protection for passengers, allowing Porsche to offer an open-top model without fear of safety regulations. The “Targa” name came from the famous Targa Florio Road Race in Sicily, a race in which Porsche was extremely successful throughout the 1950′s, speaking to the Targa’s motorsports-oriented history.

The modern 991 Targa pays definite homage to its predecessors, with a lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber removable roof and a black roll bar incorporated into the wraparound rear window. Even the three small air vents present in the original 901 Targa’s roll bar will be present in the 991 Targa. Porsche’s respect for tradition and history is very present in the Targa’s design, a factor that will add to its appeal with classic Porsche purists..."

http://www.tflcar.com/2013/12/news-2...debut-detroit/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images        
Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new targa roof is said to be an electrically operated one.
we shall see...
Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Targa Top - How it probably works!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the new targa roof is said to be an electrically operated one. we shall see...
Yes, a few years ago at Rennteam I started a thread to ask how folks thought the Targa roof mechanism would work. The best answer came from someone in the United Kingdom that is a member of both forums. His name is Isuk. And he recently posted in another thread in this forum an updated version of his brilliant theory:

"I posted this on Rennteam over a year ago now and I think it was copied here on another thread in the 991 section about the targa earlier this year.

The 'targa' panel section is already on the cabrio. Underneath the fabric cover is a hard composite roof panel. From the drawings it appears that the top of the roof bar telescopes upwards to let the targa panel slide beneath it then retract rearwards to stow under the clam behind the rear seats as it does on the cabrio. The roof bar will then presumably close back down leaving the original roll hoop look. The parts of the roll bar that appear to remain attached to the rear glass are likely just the decorative side panels that hide the hydraulic mechanism, that allows the top of the bar to lift up and down, when the roof cycle of opening or closing is completed.

It should be quite a cost effective system to engineer as it appears to use the same Z frame roof scissor frame section and same rear clam opening mechanism as the cabrio. Presumably the rear glass window will have to be made from fairly lightweight material (polycarbonate perhaps?). The lifting targa roof bar is the new and more complex part of the design.

I've done a quick sketch to show this movement." (see attachment below).

The only thing I question in his theory is his assumption that the rear window will be made from polycarbonate lightweight material. I doubt it will be. US DOT regulations prevented Porsche from offering the Plexiglass rear window on the .1 and .2 gt3 RS. I doubt they will allow the use of Plexiglass or the polycarbonate Lexan for a rear window on this Targa model! I anticipate it will be 'glass', but the lightest weight version that Porsche can find!

This is not the first thread we have discussed the Targa and how that top might operate electrically on the 991 version. We had this conversation back in early 2013:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/743148-991-targa.html

And we had these two recent threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7626...991-targa.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7784...-s-update.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the post Eduardo. I can't wait to see it in the flesh, always have been a huge fan.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Meh. Loved the old ones but don't see the point in this day and age of large up and back sunroofs and convertable everythings. OTOH it appears to be a sign of the 991 line continuing with relatively minor tweaks (marketing hoopla notwithstanding) which is a great thing.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will go to the Detroit show and have a look to the Targa.
IMO the Targa looks almost nicer as Cab. - just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Stunning IMHO.

More photos at http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...arga-spy-shots
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely growing on me . . .
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Porsche 911 Targa spied virtually undisguised ahead of its Detroit debut!

"The Porsche 911 Targa has been spied virtually undisguised, ahead of its debut at the North American International Auto Show. Caught undergoing testing in Germany, the model has a retro-inspired design with a thick B-pillar and a distinctive rear window..."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11312236...uised-ahead-of

Originally Posted by ISUK
Stunning IMHO.
Isuk - Welcome back. We are shortly going to find out how close you came to figuring out how this Targa top mechanism works. Once it's announced and shown at Detroit on January 13th or so, please come back and post your analysis of how the actual mechanism works versus how you speculated it would work! Gracias.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see how the whole roof portion fits back behind the +2 seats as one piece, so I think the top itself will fold up (in thirds?) to then stow back where the cabriolet top would go. It looks like the top material is more like the cabriolet roof material - so I'm sure it folds up somehow.

It's going to be a ballet of mechanical perfection, whatever it is...
Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Isuk - Welcome back. We are shortly going to find out how close you came to figuring out how this Targa top mechanism works. Once it's announced and shown at Detroit on January 13th or so, please come back and post your analysis of how the actual mechanism works versus how you speculated it would work! Gracias.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thank you Eduardo. Now I see the final design I am more convinced it will operate as I thought. The corner sections of the roll bar will hinge open outwards, the rear clam including the glass rear window will lift up as it does on the cabrio and the "targa" panel which is shared with the cabrio roof will lift out of the same stowage area behind the rear seats on a telescopic arm that has a pivot where it connects to the roof panel. The arms then cycle through a near 90 degree arc and fit inside the roll bar as the targa panel settles into place against the windscreen header rail. The rear clam closes returning the rear glass to the trailing edge of the roll bar and the two outer hinged corners close to complete the cycle.

It's a beautifully simple solution that utilises the basic construction of the cabrio body and roof mechanism and should mean the rear seats are still usable although headroom appears compromised by the angle and flatness of the rear screen.

I've done a very rough sketch to show the operation as I think it will work.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ISUK
Thank you Eduardo. Now I see the final design I am more convinced it will operate as I thought. The corner sections of the roll bar will hinge open outwards, the rear clam including the glass rear window will lift up as it does on the cabrio and the "targa" panel which is shared with the cabrio roof will lift out of the same stowage area behind the rear seats on a telescopic arm that has a pivot where it connects to the roof panel. The arms then cycle through a near 90 degree arc and fit inside the roll bar as the targa panel settles into place against the windscreen header rail. The rear clam closes returning the rear glass to the trailing edge of the roll bar and the two outer hinged corners close to complete the cycle.

It's a beautifully simple solution that utilises the basic construction of the cabrio body and roof mechanism and should mean the rear seats are still usable although headroom appears compromised by the angle and flatness of the rear screen.
ISUK: You got it right from the start. Congratulations for your imaginative thinking and contributions to helping us figure how the engineering would work on this 991 Targa!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks really nice. Unfortunately it look like only available in the C4.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
Looks really nice. Unfortunately it look like only available in the C4.
That's cool in that it will be a widebody car but sucks that its not a C4S.

Quick Reply: 991 Targa to be shown at Detroit's North American Auto Show in January, 2014!