Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:50 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you are ok. Lets give all some time and I am sure you will get a positive response.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:04 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Porsche wants to say and use mods as their way out, what of all the things done to guys who track their cars be considered mods and what wouldn't be considered mods?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:10 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Best of luck and good to see you made no contact with the fire, rm21.

Re warranty and insurance, keep in mind that although insurance may exclude accidents that happen on the track that does not necessarily mean they also exclude fires on a track. Just in case Porsche turns out meh.

I can't imagine that an exhaust with higher flow rate increases the risk of fire. If anything the total heat it retains inside the car is less.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The dealership is a stewart of PCNA, and when they did the work on my car it's covered under warranty stated in the document. That would hold up in any court dealer sold the car, and provided the upgrade very simple. Dealers will also sell a car with a by-pass, and it will pass their certification. The key here is allow the dealer to to do the work, and they're the subject matter experts in my opinion not the buyer.
Umm, ok, yeah..

I think you need to read up on actual cases in real life. If you had broad knowledge of actual cases in recent memory, you would not be making the statements you made above. Hold up in court? Maybe, maybe not. But how many thousands of dollars will it cost in lawyer fees and how long will you be without the car? I know of cases where it took 2+ years to finally settle.

Bottom line: just because a dealer installs mods for you or sells you a CPO car with mods already in place, does NOT mean they or PCNA will cover your grievances when push comes to shove. Many cases of these examples online. Search.

p.s. OP, I wish the best for you. IMO Porsche absolutely needs to cover this if it's an engine failure.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are OK Rich! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted. Haven't seen
Macca chime in yet, but he will have some insight for sure.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Umm, ok, yeah..

I think you need to read up on actual cases in real life. If you had broad knowledge of actual cases in recent memory, you would not be making the statements you made above. Hold up in court? Maybe, maybe not. But how many thousands of dollars will it cost in lawyer fees and how long will you be without the car? I know of cases where it took 2+ years to finally settle.

Bottom line: just because a dealer installs mods for you or sells you a CPO car with mods already in place, does NOT mean they or PCNA will cover your grievances when push comes to shove. Many cases of these examples online. Search.

p.s. OP, I wish the best for you. IMO Porsche absolutely needs to cover this if it's an engine failure.
Had a case with BMW car replaced and cash settlement for the time lost out of my car never had to go to court. Owner of the dealer was personally involved, and they did the right thing. Hope that's enough, and I find Porsche more reputable than BMW and I hope they do the right thing as it's not hard to protect your brand by doing the right thing.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

First off, glad you are ok and I hope this situation is resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner for you.

If Porsche does not step up to the plate, I will consider cancelling my 991.2 GT3, and hang onto the GT4 that's currently in my stable as it seems to be more reliable. I don't have any interest in a car that's a ticking time bomb, especially at these prices.

Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:15 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Was the fire the reason for the main failure, or the result of it? I'm asking because I had a header-to-exhaust interface that ruptured and started a fire. I was lucky that it didn't catch, but it took out most rubber hoses and wiring harnesses, and in the process threw dozens of codes.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:20 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Was the fire the reason for the failure, or the result of it? I'm asking because I had a header-to-exhaust interface that ruptured and started a fire. I was lucky that it didn't catch, but it took out most rubber hoses and wiring harnesses, and in the process threw dozens of codes.
The fire was the result of the engine failure. The codes appeared first and then the smoke started later. I checked the exhaust connections and took pictures of them and they were intact.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Most important you sustained no bodily injury ...

I've often been chagrined that HPDE events (PCA, NASA) I attend mandate removal of the fire extinguisher when out on track, because the extinguisher mount is plastic ... I guess you didn't have the extinguisher as option on your GT3 OR you had removed it at tech.

I plan to get metal mount for my extinguisher so I can keep in car at track, for my 2015 991 GT3, after seeing this. Perhaps would have limited the damage ...

I'd be optimistic that PCNA/dealer will take care of you.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:20 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear, but glad you are okay. I don't see any reason why Porsche would not warranty it since there have been issues in the past. The last thing they want is you to go to some car magazine with pictures and a story that they refused to pay.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:27 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sorry to see this.

But why would this be covered by Porsche? You were driving a street car on a closed race track.

Hopefully your track insurance does. Smart on you for purchasing the coverage.
Show me one Porsche marketing photo of the car on the street. Just one. Porsche will do right.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Show me one Porsche marketing photo of the car on the street. Just one. Porsche will do right.
Very true. So I guess I better take mine on the track.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Bartron
Racer

glad to hear you are ok. I can think of multiple scenarios of this ending very badly on the track. Here's to a speedy and positive resolution.

Last edited by Bartron; 11-20-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:35 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up