Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:15 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Sorry to hear of your catastrophe, Rich. But hey, thanks for bringing some excitement to this forum - it's been getting a bit routine and repetitive recently!

I agree with Waxer's assessment above - that insurance is not applicable (no accident or collision) but that Porsche will make things right. Porsche will be eager to get the engine back so that they can break it down to see what went wrong. Porsche will take care of you, but how and how soon are open questions. We'll be following your results.

I'm the guy that let you drive my GT3 RS at Road Atlanta back in October. I very much want to see you back in the saddle soon because there's a lot that I can learn from you both as a driver and as a car setup guru!

If Chin's schedule for 2017 is similar to this year's schedule, I'll probably return to Road Atlanta and VIR in late February/early March. If you don't have a replacement GT3 by then, I'd be glad to get you some more time in my RS at one or both tracks.

Good luck!
Thanks Ivan!
Old 11-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 540 Posts

IvanBurns - If Chin's schedule for 2017 is similar to this year's schedule, I'll probably return to Road Atlanta and VIR in late February/early March. If you don't have a replacement GT3 by then, I'd be glad to get you some more time in my RS at one or both tracks.
Ivan, very generous of you to make the offer.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I was running Trofeos although they may look like slicks after being baked in the fire!
Sorry. My bad I hope you'll get a fast and amicable resolution. Keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Rich - would have been more appropriate if this happened at one of the smokies track day. Get it? Smoky?

Too soon?

Glad you are well, and taking it in stride as I'd expect you would. It'll work out just right for you.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

Rear tires are heat cycled for sure...
Old 11-21-2016, 02:25 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Rear tires are heat cycled for sure...

Gotta love rennlist... here come the jokes.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:17 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. Seems like it would be a pretty gut wrenching one to watch your car go up in flames like that. Glad nobody got injured, and hopefully an eye opening lesson on the importance of why fire safety should never be overlooked, even in street cars!

In regards to the engine failure, I wish you all the best in resolving this. I'm sure PCNA will want the car back to determine the root cause of the failure.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Richard - Ive only just started catching up on the RL threads having spend the last week at the track in the GT3 (broke my personal bests on all tracks, car is running very well and was rock solid reliable - just on the sweet spot and loving it like you were before this incident).

Very sorry to hear what has happened. It certainly looks like it could be a rod failure in the first instance. This would have put the piston through the block and oil on the headers. I have heard of one or maybe two GT3/RS this has happened to since the recall. Usually it happens much earlier - your car has been tracked more than almost any car I know and its been tracked hard as well so hopefully its not a sign of something that might become more apparent with age.

All the best in dealing with PAG and please let us know of the outcome. Take care.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most importantly, you escaped unharmed. The car will be replaced, can't say the same for your health.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
What does the warranty book say? I don't know. Maybe you're right.
My 2015 threw a rod back in May of 2016 ('F' motor), Porsche covered the engine replacement (new 'G' motor), also CPO'd the car for an additional 2 years/100,000, plus cash. When I talked to PCNA and voiced my concerns about the ambiguity of the Porsche User's manual concerning warranty coverage while at the track. I was reassured that the warranty covers DE events... that Porsche expects the owners would be driving their cars at such events.

When my engine blew, it threw a rod through the "top" of the motor. When it occurred I had some smoke coming out of the back, plus every code in the book flashing, then the engine shut down. I think in my case since the rod went up instead of down, the engine did not catch fire. Only a small amount of oil hit the hot exhaust. I believe if the rod had gone the other way, it would have dumped a lot of oil on the exhaust and probably would have caught fire.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:41 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last summer I've posted here a picture of my friend's GT3 engine, that had the same issue on track with 1000km only. Hole in the engine, oil everywhere. Thanks God, no fire.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
My 2015 threw a rod back in May of 2016 ('F' motor), Porsche covered the engine replacement (new 'G' motor), also CPO'd the car for an additional 2 years/100,000, plus cash. When I talked to PCNA and voiced my concerns about the ambiguity of the Porsche User's manual concerning warranty coverage while at the track. I was reassured that the warranty covers DE events... that Porsche expects the owners would be driving their cars at such events
Bruce, thank you for posting this. It seems like every time I am about to go to TWS, something bad happens in the community, and I get reeeeaallly nervous.

You have smoothed my fur a bit.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can Porsche determine though computer data if the break in procedures were followed to the manual (<4200 RPMs for 2000 miles)? This car has a roll cage, which was not available in the US. Does the possibility exist that Porsche will say this was an improperly converted racing car and not a weekend DE car?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Rich, I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I feel that PAG will make it right.

Still a bit concerning and the main reason I haven't done any mods to my GT3 other than track alignment and brakes.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bottom line is YOU ARE OK !! metal is replaceable. Would you care to share which insurance company you are with. As an independent insurance agency owner, even if the policy excludes coverage for track events including DE's, the comprehensive still could be applicable depending on the policy language.
I still agree with the other posts that PCNA will ultimately step up to the plate & make you whole.

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up