Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I believe he was on the hairy edge of prudent personal financial responsibility with the Cayman, probably paid close to $70K with taxes for his Cayman and was concerned about the depreciation.
Sticker was just over $69,000 and I then had the dealer add the 19" Sport Design wheels and the Sport Tip which brought the sticker to just under $72,000... I bought the car for $62,500 on the road, title, tax and tags...

I don't know about that HAIRY thing but it was about all I was willing to spend for a 5th Anniversary present to my wife...

Denigrate the Cayman... I think Porsche may do that all by themselves to the early Caymans without any help from The Bull... I betcha in a couple of years there will be a 3.8 engine in the CS... Now what do you think that will do to the value of the early Caymans??? Just food for thought...

Fast1 you are correct and the 993 owners belittle the 964 owners and so on and so forth... That's a normal reaction when you by an EGOMOBILE... Everyone's ego is a bit fragile... Reality only sets in when you try to sell your EGOMOBILE only to get the REAL slap in the face... Believe me, this isn't just a Porsche thing... It happens with all the highend sports cars... Everyone has the best and doesn't want to be told otherwise...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Bull_30. I would recommend you do DE's/autocrosses with the Mini esp 1st time(front wheel drive cars at turn in is just put the metal on the pedal and steer). Alot more forgiving and handles like a dream. Regards. Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Bull_30. I would recommend you do DE's/autocrosses with the Mini esp 1st time(front wheel drive cars at turn in is just put the metal on the pedal and steer). Alot more forgiving and handles like a dream. Regards. Mike
Thanks Mike... I think we've decided to autocross the MINI this year... I'm hoping to get my wife out there autocrossing too... I have to admit her Cooper Works is a blast to drive...
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by fast1
[B]
I can't figure why Cayman owners get SO defensive... Are you that insecure with your purchase? Believe me, it's nothing special; a Boxster with a hardtop... If you bought it because of the thrill then you got ripped as it's under-powered and the suspension is idiot proofed... So, if you want the thrill, you have to spend a lot more money to modify... Why not just buy the REAL thing and get the 997??? Like I said, I had my moment of weakness but then again don't we all...
yeah, that comment is just bull - i drove a cayman s back to back with a 997 s and i thought the cayman was a lot more fun. i just traded my 996 c2 on a cayman s and i could have easily bought a 996TT or a 997s, but i thought the cayman was the better choice

Is a 996 turbo suspension idiot proofed?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

It's nice to see that there is some passion among the CS owners about their car... Too bad you can't show that same amount of passion here on Rennlist and talk to each other about your Caymans... Hopefully the Cayman forum will get the same kind of activity as the other forums... I personally find the 964 and 993 forums a great place for information... It would be nice to see the Cayman owners get to that point here on Rennlist...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

"It's nice to see that there is some passion among the CS owners about their car"

bull30, I agree with you on this one as well. I do not own a Cayman but I lurk in here as a future buyer. I do find this board to be very quiet, you can go days without a post.

Cayman, 911(whatever model), Boxster, 944, Cayenne, even my beloved 928 are all fantastic machines. It is a fact that there is a lot of Porsche snobs out there, ie if it's not aircooled it is not a real Porsche......jeez I wonder why Porsche went to liquid cooled, because it's worse than air cooled.....NOT. The 928 was a better car than the 911 in it's day, but the allegiance to the 911 won out. That 911 allegiance and snobbery exists and getting worse, not sure why.

From a future Cayman owner
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
It's nice to see that there is some passion among the CS owners about their car... Too bad you can't show that same amount of passion here on Rennlist and talk to each other about your Caymans... Hopefully the Cayman forum will get the same kind of activity as the other forums... I personally find the 964 and 993 forums a great place for information... It would be nice to see the Cayman owners get to that point here on Rennlist...
Many Cayman and Boxster owners post to other forums (PPBB, CaymanClub, etc.).

I agree it's unfortunate. However, the situation is born out of the fact that there a more than a few moldy fig idiots on Rennlist that think that the only "good" Porsches are "air-cooled" Porsches. They drone on endlessly about the deficiencies they believe exist in the newer cars. Most here realize much of this is born out of insecurity over the huge performance gap between the old and new cars. However, some enthusiasts tire of this poor behavior and choose to visit forums that are friendlier.

You wouldn't happen to know any of these figs on Rennlist would you Bull???
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....That's a normal reaction when you by an EGOMOBILE... Everyone's ego is a bit fragile... Reality only sets in when you try to sell your EGOMOBILE only to get the REAL slap in the face... Believe me, this isn't just a Porsche thing... It happens with all the highend sports cars... Everyone has the best and doesn't want to be told otherwise...
A little off topic... but something struck me as I read this post....

You know, when I bought my car, I told my wife that there would be a negative reaction on the part of some people regarding our frivolous weekend car, and there was/is.

I believe that that reaction is a product of type of attitude displayed in Bull's message above refering to an EGOMOBILE. That is how a large % of people see Porsche (or other sport car) owners.

I know that for me, this was not an exercise in EGO. I dreamt, read and thought about Porsche since I had Matchbox 917's. It was the realization of a lifetime of looking through the window. In no way do I consider that EGO feeding. Hell, not one person that I work with even knows that I have a Porsche. I bought it for me.

In the end, there are all types of people and reasons for buying a Porsche. The worst part is that we all get painted with THAT same brush.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:14 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
I agree it's unfortunate. However, the situation is born out of the fact that there a more than a few moldy fig idiots on Rennlist that think that the only "good" Porsches are "air-cooled" Porsches. They drone on endlessly about the deficiencies they believe exist in the newer cars. Most here realize much of this is born out of insecurity over the huge performance gap between the old and new cars. However, some enthusiasts tire of this poor behavior and choose to visit forums that are friendlier.

You wouldn't happen to know any of these figs on Rennlist would you Bull???
Only the Cayman & Boxster owners are going to make their forums on Rennlist successful... However, more time seems to be spent on defending their cars than talking to one another... As far as Porsches are concerned, I'm not one that thinks that air-cooled Porsches are the only REAL Porsches... There are plenty of beautiful Porsches out there for all including the Cayman... I've voiced my opinion and delibrately evoked passion from the CS owners... I just wonder how good this forum could be if you all channeled that passion into contructive information and a genuine exchange of ideas...

Cayman Club? Don't get me started... I stated my point in an earlier post... I'll stick with Rennlist...

At any rate, I hope some of you start using Rennlist more to exchange usefull info with one another...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
joey c
Pro

this has been the biggest thread on the cayman board....i would never buy one
Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 AM
JimG
Instructor

l... However, more time seems to be spent on defending their cars than talking to one another... ..
You mean like in this thread?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...so all this was about someone preferring a pink cabrio to a cayman......

we really must be short on entertainment.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:53 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
...so all this was about someone preferring a pink cabrio to a cayman......

we really must be short on entertainment.
It's RED ding-dong...
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

It's RED ding-dong...
bull: He's just busting your ***** a little. He knows it's red.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
bull: He's just busting your ***** a little. He knows it's red.
Oh Humor... What an interesting concept!

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster