Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
What I don't get is why so many Rennlisters (mostly 964 or 993 owners) seem drawn to come to this Cayman board to bash the car.

It would be interesting to get a psychologist to give us his views as to why there is such internecine warfare amongst the owners of different Porsche models. Although I've owned various 911 models, the last being a 993, I certainly don't look down on those who own a Boxster or a Cayman or a 996 as not having a "true" Porsche. I've also owned two different iterations of the Vette, and still visit a Vette forum on a fairly regular basis, and I see absolutely no bashing of the different Vette iterations. Moreover, I have two friends that presently own 993s and they love both the Boxster and Cayman. So maybe the bashers are part of a small but vocal minority.
I think you would find most 993 owners like the Cayman, if I had the dinero I would have one in the garage right now. Look at CP, he just bought one, loving in and can't say enough good things about it. There a few of them considering selling there beloved 993's to switch up.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
someone mentioned an used 996 is more car than a new cayman? depends on what you want. i have had 6 996's, beside the GT3's i dont think 996s were any more fun or more car than cayman. and given equal driver, a 3.4L cayman will be glue to the *** of any 996 cars without X51. so which is more car?

now if you want to talk about dep'n you are correct. cayman will depreciate a LOT. but i dont really care. my SC, carerra, boxster, GT3, 964, 993, 996 all depreciated a lot. but i have had a lot of fun in each of them. 20k/year in everyone of my porsche at the min. i dont factor in dep'n when i purchase a car, otherwise, i would be driving accords.

Wow

finally someone not talking complete ****

I just sold my 996 for a cayman 's' after test driving a a 997 s and cayman 's' back to back.

cayman is no less of a car compared to the 997 s IMO - the only better 997 series are the TT, Gt3 and GT3RS

If you want to buy a 2 decade old car for what seems to be mostly financial reasons then thats your choice and thats fine

I want a mid-engined 2 seater sports car that I feel i can drive everyday if neccesary

"Let's compare notes in 5 years when your CS is worth about $20,000 or less and my American Roadster will be around $70,000 or more.... Well worth taking the hit on my CS..."

Yes lets compares notes, wow, I would have spent $35k in 5 years having a blast and not having to drive something that doesn't have the lines of a 993 or the simple beauty of the older 911's....

to be fair, I'm hoping my next car will be a Gallardo, I wonder if the Miura owners go on Gallardo boards and denigrate their cars...?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
I must admit I do like getting your dander up here and at the Cayman Club... Let's compare notes in 5 years when your CS is worth about $20,000 or less and my American Roadster will be around $70,000 or more.... Well worth taking the hit on my CS...:
See bull, you're still just not getting it. Not everyone sees the world as you do. You really should try to be more tolerant of those opinions that differ from yours. I couldn't care less if my CS is worth $20k in 5 years so long as I continue to enjoy it. Moreover, I truely hope for the sake of your frail ego your 964 meets your financial expectations.

So, for the third time:
...what was the point of your post here on the Cayman forum? Did you think other Cayman owners or potential owners might have thought the Cayman to be an investment opportunity? I doubt anyone here did. Or are you looking for validation of your "financial" decision making? I know it'll hurt to face reality, but it'll be therapeutic.

As to "getting [my] dander up," don't flatter yourself. If you re-read my posts you'll realize I've just been playing w/you, which has been embarrassingly easy. But, I've had enough fun for one day. See ya around.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,682 Likes on 2,334 Posts

someone said that in five years a CS will be worth 20k, LOL.
my 13 months old 24k miles car is already only 40k. another 10 month it will be 20k, no need to wait until year 5. i dont really mind.

if you give me an american roadster, 911 3.6 speedster or 964 speedster ( both speedster will hold better value than am. roadster ), i'll easily drop their value to 30k in ONE year, as i will put 5k track miles on it plus another 15k just driving it to/from the track.

see, every car i own depreciates like rocks.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 AM
singletrack1
Track Day

The only way that America roadster will keep its value is if you don't drive it. If you put more than 3K miles on it, it will depreciate like any car.

Cars that you actually drive are never investments and will always depreciate.

If you want automotive jewlery to look pretty in your garage and brag to your friends about your "investment"? Fine - but I say you did very poorly in the investment by buying the Porsche. An american muscle car will appreciate much better and now you can brag about how much more you are making. Actually, there are much better and less risky financial investments than old cars.

As mooty says, don't buy new cars or buy cars you can actually drive more than 2K miles per year if you can't handle the depreciation. That is the price you pay for buying a better driving car. :-)

Bill
Owned too many new cars, but enjoyed every moment of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,682 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^ right on.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great choice. Very lucky find.

I really like the Roadster -- it's always been too expensive for me, but it's a great 911. A neighbour had one with every leather option -- in a light blue paint I never really liked -- but hell, the sound of it and the feel of it was classic 911. And the couple of dozen dead cows to cover all that leather on everything from air vents slats to window switches did their duty.

ps. New rule: when someone posts a thread to show their new car, let's stick to the car and not all this nonsense, it's just not okay to rain on the parade.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STLPCA
As to "getting [my] dander up," don't flatter yourself. If you re-read my posts you'll realize I've just been playing w/you, which has been embarrassingly easy. But, I've had enough fun for one day. See ya around.
Why keep it going then if I'm not getting to you??? Like I said, let's compare notes in 5 years and we shall see who has the last laugh...

Good luck with your Boxster with a hardtop...
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

bull30,

I hate to say it but you sound like a 911 snob, plain and simple. Why knock the Cayman so much? Of course it will lose value that is the nature of new vehicles....maybe the 911 holds it's value better because there are 911 snobs that will pay anything to have one.

As for depreciation, who cares? Compare notes about car values 5 years from now...why? Hey if you want resale value, don't bother with Porsche try Honda.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes, strikes! Every time I come upon people who start bashing each other's choice in Porsches, I roll my eyes in disgust.

I happen to own an air-cooled '84 Carrera and absolutely love that car (but I'm not an air-cooled snob because...), I also own a beautiful 2000 996 and an equally, if not more beautiful 2007 Cayman. All of the cars are simply awesome to drive (and look at).

The snobbery that we display toward each other within the Porsche community is simply ******* amazing at times. It's embarrassing.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, so much fuss over a plain old 964 cabrio.
Not even one of their better models.

McJohn

(ex 964 Coupe owner)
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
RedRocket
Instructor

bull, nice car.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

That red Porsche keychain on the 2nd pic gotta go- It's fugly and tacky too. Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I'll never buy a NEW CAR OF ANY KIND AGAIN AT OR NEAR MSRP. I will consider buying a new car again if I can get it at invoice or slightly above like alot of CaymanS are being sold for now.

I have my CaymanS for sale now (stickered for $63.5K 11 months ago). I might get $50K for it now. I got sucked into the "gotta have it now" thing. Good thing is I like the car and don't HAVE to get rid of it but if I can get the $50K or so for it, I will sell it and get the 996tt.

I don't buy cars with the intent to "not lose value" but if some people like Bull do, I don't begrudge them either. Personal prefences, that's all. I'm just tired of taking the hit. It happened to the '05 Vette I bought as well; although it retained its value better than my Cayman thus far...... go figure.
Just sold the CaymanS!!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Just sold the CaymanS!!!!!
Did you get a better deal than bull? BTW I saw a BMW Z4 M roadster on a Dealer's lot for $49K. The car only had 2K miles on the odometer. Since the original sticker on the car was $58K, I have to believe that the owner of that car took a big hit when he traded the car in. My guess is that they gave him around $45K. As I posted earlier there's a tiny market for two seat cars and it seems like most manufacturers make at least one. GM has several, and then there's Mazda, Audi, BMW, MB, Dodge, Nissan, etc.

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster