Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Let's compare notes in 5 years... Betcha your Cayman S is in the 20's...

I hope that you aren't suggesting we compare the depreciation rates of a 2006 model against a 10 yr+ old model.

Trying to figure out what cars to hold for investment is a tricky business. I have two friends who each bought a Z8 for investment purposes. So I have to wonder how many people did the same thing. The answer to that question will determine how good an investment the Z8 will be in 15 - 20 years.

As I posted earlier I'd rather invest in mutual funds. The chances of making a fortune are limited, but there's an excellent chance of a solid return for many years.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are at least 3-4 items I see on this car that are incorrect for a real American Roadster, this car could be one of those fakes running around out there, I see a lot of them because they are easy to fake for those who don't know what to look for. Hope you ran your chasis and engine numbers with Porsche to verify the authenticity or have a COA to prove it is real.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 AM
fast1
Race Car

Hope you ran your chasis and engine numbers with Porsche to verify the authenticity or have a COA to prove it is real

As one of our former presidents said to the Russians during the cold war "trust but verify." I'm curious, what are the suspicious items that you see. Let's hope it's nothing, since bull has already taken a hit on the CS, and he certainly doesn't want to top that off with being stuck with a pseudo American Roadster.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 928Buyer
There are at least 3-4 items I see on this car that are incorrect for a real American Roadster, this car could be one of those fakes running around out there, I see a lot of them because they are easy to fake for those who don't know what to look for. Hope you ran your chasis and engine numbers with Porsche to verify the authenticity or have a COA to prove it is real.
It's not a fake... I have the original rear bumper cover and exhaust... I have verified the serial numbers with PCNA and it's listed as an America Roadster and I have the original window sticker... All numbers match as I had a PPI done professionally...

As far as the mutual fund comment... I invest in land but I can't drive land... Nor can you drive your mutual funds... As I said, let's compare notes in 5 years... I'll bet the AR goes up while the Cayman is in the 20's and even if the AR stays the same I have the pleasure of driving a GREAT handmade machine that's one of only 250 made... I'd rather have that than a robotically made mass-produced car... That's my choice and I love it!!!

I can't figure why Cayman owners get SO defensive... Are you that insecure with your purchase? Believe me, it's nothing special; a Boxster with a hardtop... If you bought it because of the thrill then you got ripped as it's under-powered and the suspension is idiot proofed... So, if you want the thrill, you have to spend a lot more money to modify... Why not just buy the REAL thing and get the 997??? Like I said, I had my moment of weakness but then again don't we all...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
Hope you ran your chasis and engine numbers with Porsche to verify the authenticity or have a COA to prove it is real

As one of our former presidents said to the Russians during the cold war "trust but verify." I'm curious, what are the suspicious items that you see. Let's hope it's nothing, since bull has already taken a hit on the CS, and he certainly doesn't want to top that off with being stuck with a pseudo American Roadster.
Yup, ran the serial number with Porsche and it's listed as an America Roadster... I also have the original window sticker... All the numbers match... It drives like it's new... The car was obviously garage kept, never smoked in and meticulously maintained...
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

Bull30,

Come on hand built vs robotically built!
Notice you drive a Mini, not sure how many of those are hand built, it also happens to be the car of choice for haridressers

With respect, love the Tiger, a true sports car.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
I can't figure why Cayman owners get SO defensive... Are you that insecure with your purchase? Believe me, it's nothing special; a Boxster with a hardtop... If you bought it because of the thrill then you got ripped as it's under-powered and the suspension is idiot proofed... So, if you want the thrill, you have to spend a lot more money to modify... Why not just buy the REAL thing and get the 997??? Like I said, I had my moment of weakness but then again don't we all...
I cannot understand your taunts of the Cayman.

You claim to be pointing out the insecurities of others and you claim to be a "true" Porsche afficionado, yet your taunts towards owners of Cayman sound elitists and, well, uninformed. It sounds like Ralphie from the Sopranos.

First, I am all for personal choice. You should buy the car that pushes your buttons without regard to what anyone else may think. Good for you. I personally would never ever in one million years buy an America Roadster. It is quite possibly the last Porsche I would consider buying. So, for every person you ridicule, just know that there are those who would ridicule you, not that I have any interest in that personally. Drive your car, be happy that you are happy, and cut out the childish taunts. Are you a three year old?

Second, I personally can't stand people who base their decision to buy a Porsche upon what other people might think about them. If you buy a GT3 and you never intend to take it to the track, you have, IMHO, BOUGHT THE WRONG PORSCHE FOR YOU. Porsche makes many cars, each with a specific purpose. Buy what makes you happy, but at least take the time to learn about the cars.

Third, the older cars are wonderful. I personally lust for a longhood or a 356. I think the 993s are beautiful (perhaps the most beautiful), but they are the next to last Porsche I would ever consider buying, right behind the America Roadster. Nonetheless, if you want to be brutally honest with yourself, each car has, overall, been an improvement over the last, particularly if you are focusing on driveability and track times, as I personally do. Sure, each model has its weak spots, but every model has. So don't get too haughty about the older vs. the newer. This type of debate between owners of P-cars is POINTLESS.

Fourth, Porsche has never been about pure power output. It has been about useability of power. All the power in the world is pretty useless if you cannot harness that power and use it to the fullest extent possible. So, comparing pure HP numbers between Porsches really misses the point. But if you want to, let's compare the specs for your America Roadster against a Cayman S, ok? (I took the specs from Edmonds, so I cannot vouch for accuracy). Your car has a curb weight of 3164 with 247 hp and 228 ft/lbs torque. The Cayman S has a curb weight of 2954 with 295 hp and 251 ft/lbs torque. It doesn't sound like it is any more gutless than your America Roadster.

Fourth, the Boxster is, arguably, the model that most resembles a traditional sports car in the Porsche line up today. It is a two-seater ragtop that performs outstandingly well. The 997 is a GT car . . . it is a mix of sportiness and luxury that brings additional weight and less tossability into the equation, which is not necessarily "better." I tell you what. If you don't believe me, bring your America Roadster to the track, and I will borrow someone's Boxster. I bet I can school you with the "***** Porsche" that you apparently disdain. And I am a ****ty driver. If a good driver drove the Boxster, you would be really embarassed. I bet the same excellent driver could turn the same time or better in a stock Boxster S as they could in your stock America Roadster. So, don't get too haughty.

Fifth, the Cayman S is an incredible car. On the track, a Cayman S can probably come close to keeping up with a 911 S on many tracks. Even where it cannot, it might actually be more fun to drive, which is what it is all about, is it not? In my humble opinion, only the Cayman S and the 997 GT3 appeal to me, and it actually is a pretty close call in my book.

So, stop the insults, educate yourself a little about the marque you apparently love, and enjoy your purchase regardless of what I, or anyone else, may think of it.

Peace.

P.S. Have you been to the track yet in any of your Porsches? If you have not, you owe it to yourself. Hope to see you at a track this next year. I will be driving a ***** gutless n/a 944 with all of 150 HP. Drop by and say hi.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Colin Emerson
Notice you drive a Mini, not sure how many of those are hand built, it also happens to be the car of choice for haridressers.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by TD in DC
In my humble opinion, only the Cayman S and the 997 GT3 appeal to me, and it actually is a pretty close call in my book.
Same here - the issue for me is I want to own a cayman before the gt3 and i really can't afford the coin for a new gt3 right now

Nice to hear those comments from a 996 owner who doesn't have his head stuck up his ***.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
Nice to hear those comments from a 996 owner who doesn't have his head stuck up his ***.
You obviously haven't met me
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bull,

Beautiful car.....

How many miles do you figure you will get to actually drive the car in the
next 5 years?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Bull-30,

As a long time P car fan and owner of a CS I am happy that you have found a car that you like but am not sure how much driving enjoyment you can possibly have if you want to retain any value. I've done almost 10,000km since June (and the car was stored in the first week of Dec.) and have tracked it countless times. Has it lost value, sure, every new car does...right as you drive it off the lot! A buddy of mine has a really nice 964 RSA and it's a wonderful car and I love being in it and driving it. I can appreciate the fact that you wated something more "classic" but while you are puttering around your block trying not to put on any miles, there will be many of us out on the track, backroads etc enjoying our "hardtop boxsters" (is that really so bad? I like the boxster...) and other cars. There is a French saying that goes "ca prends plens de monde pour faire un monde" which means that it takes a lot of people to make up the world, and as many opinions.

Oh and P.S. my hardtop boxter will eat up your flimsy flyer 964 cab anytime, anywhere.
P.P.S. I'm one of those frequent posters on the "elitist" CaymanClub since there is far more activity over there...even after you got banned!

Last edited by Chris R.; 01-30-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by bull30
I can't figure why Cayman owners get SO defensive... Are you that insecure with your purchase? Believe me, it's nothing special; a Boxster with a hardtop.
Yeah, go figure. What kind of world do we live in that you cant call people idiots without them becoming offended. Weird.

I neither own a cayman nor intend to purchase one. That said, without any allegience to the cayman, you're a douche. But based on the tone of your posts I gather you already knew that.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Fifth, the Cayman S is an incredible car. On the track, a Cayman S can probably come close to keeping up with a 911 S on many tracks. Even where it cannot, it might actually be more fun to drive, which is what it is all about, is it not?

I agree. It's far superior to the Z4 M coupe IMO when you consider its performance on the street and track.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well if you want to see apperication...
Take my 84 944... I bought it in 1999 for $1200

Now I can sell it for about $12,000.

In the mean time I have about 70+ track days in it too.

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster