Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
Sorry you're so insecure... Never took a better than you attitude... I'm just toying with a clown... Isn't it interesting how you were the one that originally attacked me and but now you are on the defensive... Trying to explain who you are and what you're all about (as if I really care?)... It's really kind of comical... Like I said, no challenge dealing with a mental midget...
I'm not on the defensive, I'm clearing up your faulty opinions on me. Think what you want about me, you're still wrong. And yes, you did take an elitist attitude. Look at all the posts you made about the cayman being a terrible car and people who buy them are dumb and you are going to "show them something" with how much their cars are worth in 5 years. Sounds like someone else feels he has something to prove....
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
Limited numbers plus the American Roadster name. Plus, because the car is rare, most of them are low mileage and kept in very good condition by owners who really care about the car. That's really all there is to it.

As a similar example, I've never understood why the RS America is held in such high regard, but again it's a matter of rarity. The RSA is basically a 964 with the sport suspension, a few extra HP (less than 10), manual steering, and a few less pounds. Nice car, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't explain the large difference in value between the regular 964's and RSA's unless you take rarity into account.
that's kind of crazy. so you aren't really getting anything out of the ordinary even by that period's standards, just an "RS America" badge?
I guess its a good racket but I'd hate to have something I enjoy driving that I could only put very limited miles on. Kinda like that G.I Joe that has to stay in its box.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

OK you knuckleheads, don't make me have to pull over!

Play nice or get some time off - both of ya.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I received the COA from the President PCNA, he congratulated me on purchasing one of the rarest limited production Porsches ever made... Very few people know about them...
IIRC, the 916 had a production run of 11 or 12 cars (can't remember the exact # at the moment), far fewer than the AR.
IIRC, the 964 Flatnose had a lower production run than the AR as well.
Not sure about the Speedster...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
that's kind of crazy. so you aren't really getting anything out of the ordinary even by that period's standards, just an "RS America" badge?
I guess its a good racket but I'd hate to have something I enjoy driving that I could only put very limited miles on. Kinda like that G.I Joe that has to stay in its box.
That's my take on it, although I wouldn't call it crazy. But don't blame Porsche. The RSA's were actually LESS expensive than a standard 964 when new. Porsche was giving the market a choice of a slightly higher performance version with less amenities for less money.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy V
OK you knuckleheads, don't make me have to pull over!

Play nice or get some time off - both of ya.

Thanks.
Yes sir!! I apologize, but you know how my temper is sometimes...you've seen my OT posts...lol
Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
IMHO, just the manual steering rack in the RSA made it worth owning.
BTW, the stock RSA seats were amongst the best for fit/comfort/support.

There is a lot of good information on Keith V's website www.rsamerica.net
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

the COA from the President PCNA, he congratulated me on purchasing one of the rarest limited production Porsches ever made...
Is that the document where PCNA charges you a hundred bucks for basically a printout of the car's window sticker?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Is that the document where PCNA charges you a hundred bucks for basically a printout of the car's window sticker?
I got that too... When I sent away for the COA, I also sent a letter asking for the production run number for the vehicle... When I received the COA in the mail there was a very nice letter included with it from the President giving me the run number (#194 of 250) along with other very nice comments...

For me, I'm thrilled as it's just what I was looking for in a Porsche... Just as my wife wanted a 993 wide body... Now we're both happy... Well, until next year anyway
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

This is exactly why you all need to find a 20 year old car and fix it up and sell it for what you've invested in it.

I bought my 944 for $1000, and have since put $6000 or so into it to fix it up and make it as close to new as I can. It's a blast to drive, and in the event I choose to sell it, a car in this condition can get about $8000 so I can still make a profit
Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

This is an interesting thread. I have not read all posts but certainly have a perspective based on Porsches that I've been fortunate to own and drive. I have owned three RS Americas and still have my 94 garage queen. I've owned a 2002 Boxster S as well.

Yes, the RSA's have held value and, I believe, does have upside in value. I love to drive the RSA but the Boxster is a better all around car. The three low-production 964's (RSA; Speedster and America Roadster) all have maintained steady values over the past five years. The reality, as much as I love them, the cars were efforts by Porsche to gain margin and help profits more than real advances (like 996 vs. 996 GT3).

The Cayman and Boxsters are incredible cars that sometimes are unfairly blasted by Porsche lovers. I personally appreciated the lineage that exists from 911-964-993-996-997 and have enjoyed each generation. The one car that I would prefer on a daily basis (excluding 997 GT3 here) is a Boxster S.

Also, when measuring the appreciation of the American Roadster, the 89 Speedster has been in the same range for five years. In my opinion, it has more collectibility than the American Roadster. Yes, you will be in a better financial position than a new Cayman but post 90 Porsches are not appreciating at the rate of the early cars. Maybe that will change.

Enjoy your car!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 AM
westlaker
Instructor

My first thought was, "what a jerk"
Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvanslyk
My first thought was, "what a jerk"
Wow... This thread still lives....

"Jerk"... I guess if that's your definition of someone that sells a car that's boring to drive and dropping like a rock in value, to buy a car that's a blast to drive and appreciating in value not to mention a "Future Collectable"...

Thanks for the compliment
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
mborkow
Drifting

you should get whatever porsche makes you happy (and if having a porsche doesn't provide you any additional enjoyment then you shouldn't have one at all i guess), but i am not sure i understand buying a porsche as an investment. i would think stocks, bonds, and real estate all have better returns than porsches...no?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mborkow
i would think stocks, bonds, and real estate all have better returns than porsches...no?
I won't disagree with you on that one... But if you're the type of person that derives enjoyment from investing in cars (and there's many that do), then why not... Sure there's better investments, but you can't drive them or show them off at a concours event...

It's to each's own... I have an ear-to-ear grin when I drive the Roadster... I'm sure many get the same feeling driving their Cayman... I just wasn't one of them... I often wonder how I would have felt if I bought a new 997 Carrera? I have not driven one but I think I would have been thrilled... I think my next Porsche purchase, probably in 2008, will be a GT3...

If Porsche wakes up and decides to put the 3.8 in the Cayman then I may give the Cayman another look... The 3.4 lacks power, especially midrange torque... I'll be the first to admit that I got sucked in by Porsche's outstanding marketing hype... But it did not take long for the thrill to wear off...

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster