Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:08 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh........
yea........
what were we talking about?
I got distracted a bit there.....................
(OMG, I wish all women looked like that!)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
uhh........
yea........
what were we talking about?
I got distracted a bit there.....................
(OMG, I wish all women looked like that!)
Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who woulda thunk that 964 would go up in value... There is hope for us 996 owners yet.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Am I the only one who things the "AMERICA ROADSTER" is possibly the most ridiculous name for a car?

Especially when you refer to it as that? "Hey guys check out the AMERICA ROADSTER!!!"

"I put some gas in the AMERICA ROADSTER today."

"The AMERICA ROADSTER sat in the garage this weekend, couldnt afford to put 4 miles on it, might face significant depreciation."
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

M Roadster, American Roadster....ehh ,same thing....no less weird to me.
How about just "the porsche" or the roadster?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... This thread is still kicking... Kind of amusing actually...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Since the thread is still kickin .. Whenever I see the term "America Roadster" I think 1953(?) Porsche, made for the american market, Lightweight, Streamlined. And well, since there are only about 16 left in the world, "priceless". Growing up there was one in my town. Really neat car to me (and I thought my dad's '55 Speedster was neat enough alone!).
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

The original 1952 Roadsters are worth about $1.5 mil... It was the prototype for the Speedster... I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in person...
Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I couldn't help myself. I have to reply to this thread. I plan on buying a Cayman when they drop in price more (I'm thinking mid-20's and I won't be able to resist them anymore). Right now, I'm looking for a boxster, or maybe a used Elise (I've seen a couple in the high 20's.)

Anyway, someone earlier mentioned taking a Cayman vs the AR on the track. Hell, I'll take my 944 Turbo on the track against the AR. You wanna talk about the Porsche that gets **** on, look at this one. Porsche doesn't even want to talk about it, even though it was the car that saved them from Bankruptcy.

Simply put, the Cayman is a fantastic car, and whats the problem with being a hardtop Boxster (even though there are significant differences in the Boxster and Cayman....)? Some of us like coupes over cabs, and the Boxster, no matter how you look at it, is a hell of a performer.

I think all Porsches are great, but I really hate the snobbishness of some of the owners. Who cares that your car is #194 of 250. What is so special about it? Some trim peices and a name? A turbo body without a turbo? Big deal. You aren't special. And who cares if some of us want to spend money on new cars and take that hit. I could give a crap less that if I were to buy a Cayman today and in 5 years its worth 20k and yours is worth 70k. Is this your way of showing me something? You trying to rub something in my face? Cause I'll tell you something, and it will probably sting...but...

Good luck with your convertible Beetle....
Old 04-29-2007, 04:52 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodraven

I need to visit this forum more often - very entertaining.

I must be missing something, here is what I picked up:

1. Buys a new Cayman S
2. Has mega buyers’ regret due to depreciation (or something else, maybe it didn't impress the ladies as much as he hoped, who knows, maybe lost a street race to a Honda, I dunno).
3. Dumps the Cayman for a classic air cooled & rare 911.
4. Comes back to the Cayman forum to “show off” the new car and proceeds to try and convince Cayman owners their cars are a POS.

A therapist or prostitute is a lot cheaper than buying either car. Just a thought to ponder. A lot of pent up aggression in this thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

You need to learn how to read....

1: My wife bought a Cayman S
2: I don't get buyer's remorse... But - You were close as it was the Cayman that failed to impress when I inherited it from my wife... She bought a 993 C4S and she seems happy...
3: This one you got right - WHAT A WISE DECISION
4: Interesting the amount of passion that this thread generated... AND IT'S STILL GOING & GOING & GOING!!!

I must have done something right with this thread as you took the time to answer!!! Now that's funny

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

I need to visit this forum more often - very entertaining.

I must be missing something, here is what I picked up:

1. Buys a new Cayman S
2. Has mega buyers’ regret due to depreciation (or something else, maybe it didn't impress the ladies as much as he hoped, who knows, maybe lost a street race to a Honda, I dunno).
3. Dumps the Cayman for a classic air cooled & rare 911.
4. Comes back to the Cayman forum to “show off” the new car and proceeds to try and convince Cayman owners their cars are a POS.

A therapist or prostitute is a lot cheaper than buying either car. Just a thought to ponder. A lot of pent up aggression in this thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bloodraven
You must be an extremely insensitive person... You just insulted every air-cooled Porsche owner on this site...

As far as buying a Cayman for $20k... You won't have to wait long... The dealers can't sell the new or the used Caymans... Why would anyone pay $10,000 more for a Cayman (987) than a Boxster (987)... They are the SAME car... How many vehicles can you name where the hardtop costs more than the convertable? Not many!

I do find it funny having insults thrown by a 944 owner... I guess you must have taken enough abuse for your questionable decisions and had to dish some back...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bull30
I must have done something right with this thread as you took the time to answer!!! Now that's funny
I'm also in favor of public executions, so you are in good company.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

You must be an extremely insensitive person... You just insulted every air-cooled Porsche owner on this site...

As far as buying a Cayman for $20k... You won't have to wait long... The dealers can't sell the new or the used Caymans... Why would anyone pay $10,000 more for a Cayman (987) than a Boxster (987)... They are the SAME car... How many vehicles can you name where the hardtop costs more than the convertable? Not many!

I do find it funny having insults thrown by a 944 owner... I guess you must have taken enough abuse for your questionable decisions and had to dish some back...
Don't get me wrong, I love 911's. However, you have to face facts. The 911 is a souped up beetle...

You saying there is something wrong with owning a 944? I don't regret that decision one bit. It's fast, and I know many 944 Turbos that would completely own that 911 of yours.

Or, do you find it embarrassing that someone half your age, probably more (23 years old) makes as much money as you do now and has a better grasp of how to enjoy life while living sensibly? I mean, cmon, if you are buying a porsche because of resale value, aren't you really just saying "Look at my insecurities!! I have this really expensive car that people drool over, but because I am unsure of my ability to make a halfway sensible economic decision that might better me and my family, I bought this specific model so that I am safe from having to face the fact later that I am completely inadequate as a husband and a father." is that it?

Anyway, the whole point of the insult was because of your unfounded opinion that the Cayman is really not that much of a car. Its only one of the most highly reviewed cars. Every magazine that has tested it has said it one of the best cars to come out of Germany in a long time.

I think you are the ONLY one that has something bad to say about that car...

So yeah...**** you and your elitist opinion!!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Calling a 911 a hopped up VW is only an insult if you buy a Porsche for the image. Otherwise it wouldn't matter since VW's are great cars.

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster