Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Joe, I like that rationale. I'm with you. I paid $30K for my 1990 C2 back in 1994. I've put on about 70K miles on it, 300+ track days, 68 races and of course, lots and lots of smiles. I think I can sell it for about $40K. I love this country
Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Hey Joe, I like that rationale. I'm with you. I paid $30K for my 1990 C2 back in 1994. I've put on about 70K miles on it, 300+ track days, 68 races and of course, lots and lots of smiles. I think I can sell it for about $40K. I love this country
Finally... Thanks Manny... I have no idea where my AR or 993 C4S will be in 10-15 years but I'm fairly sure they will be worth MORE than I paid... Even if they are worth only what I paid, I will have had 15 years of total enjoyment...

I now consider this subject closed as far as I'm concerned...
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colin Emerson
Bull30,

Come on hand built vs robotically built!
Notice you drive a Mini, not sure how many of those are hand built, it also happens to be the car of choice for haridressers

With respect, love the Tiger, a true sports car.
Me drive the MINI... Only if I have to cause it's the wife's daily driver... I drive a Ford Escape everyday so you can imagine I look forward to the weekends... I will say though at 208HP her MINI is pretty quick...

I happy to see I invoked a little passion from a few CS owners... That's not a bad thing... Maybe you will spend more time here supporting each other on a forum that allows FREE speech and the ability to voice your opinions about products...
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually Bull, I was really joking. My C2 is worth 40K because I've probably put in another 25K since I've bought in engine and tranny rebuilds, suspension, brakes, etc. Had I left it alone, it probably would be worth about $20K. Not a bad thing, IMHO. I bought my 914 for $10K. Tons of money for a 914, but worth it to me. I got a totally original 73 2.0 914 with only 32K that has won numerous awards, autocross championships, etc. Most of all, for a car with only 95 horsepower, it gives me as many smiles as my C2. I never think about what it's worth or what's it going to be worth. I do worry that a minivan or SUV will plow into it (heck, a normal car could damage it). To me it's irreplaceable. The C2 on the other hand, well, not a dime a dozen, but you get the idea. All that said, I still would love to have a C2 for a daily driver. Actually, I'd love a Cayman S too. However, with three kids going to college in less then ten years, it wouldn't be responsible of me, unless I come into some serious money.

You know, when it comes to Porsches, I don't think twice about buying them used. Trust me, I'd love to walk into a dealership and sit down and order a GT3RS (viper green), but the bank account isn't ready for it. So, used is me. However, when I buy a new Suburban every five years, I buy it new. What's it worth five years and 200K miles later, well, not a whole lot. But, if it gave me 200K miles of relative trouble free service, I'm happy.

I encourage the purchase of new Porsches and am happy for those who do so. I look at it as more choices when it comes time for me to buy another Porsche. Good luck with the roadster. Hope to see it at some Chesapeake Region events in the future.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Bull,

I thought you were done. At least you've gotten a lot of response. Nothing wrong with that. It's fun. But seriously the AR is not in the same performance category of the "underpowered" Cayman. You sound like a guy who knows more than a little about the Porsche marque. No less a Porsche icon than Vic Elford lauded the Cayman and how it harkens to the true roots of what made Porsche great. Even some of the top magazines state that in 20 years it will be a "classic". Maybe you just missed the mark a bit, or the boat. You may one day wish you kept your Cayman. Your opinion is your prerogative, your disdain of the Cayman is unwarranted. By any account it is an exceptional automobile. Enjoy your AR.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
I happy to see I invoked a little passion from a few CS owners... That's not a bad thing... Maybe you will spend more time here supporting each other on a forum that allows FREE speech and the ability to voice your opinions about products...
Free speech is a good thing. Insulting people for their choices is silly, particularly when your choice of insults actually makes yourself look worse than the person you are trying to insult.

In the end, it really doesn't matter. Enjoy your car. Just don't look too far down your nose at drivers of other "lesser" Porsches because that will prevent you from seeing the bigger picture.

I would hope to see you at the track some time. Potomac region's HPDC is coming up on April 14. Why don't you consider registering? www.pcapotomac.org
Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KBS911
Bull,

I thought you were done. At least you've gotten a lot of response. Nothing wrong with that. It's fun. But seriously the AR is not in the same performance category of the "underpowered" Cayman.
I fully understand that the AR doesn't have the power of the CS for that matter either does my 993 C4S... If I truly want performance & handling, I'll break out some serious bucks and find a 1965 TVR Griffith or a Porsche GT3... That was not what I wanted... I wanted a car that you don't see on the road often if at all, something unique without the nightmares of owning something Made in Italy... I found what I want for now until I get the urge to add another toy to my collection... That's what is so nice about the kids being grown and gone... I can by the toys I want without feeling guilty ... It's truly a nice place to be...

As far as the Cayman's concerned... The dealers can't move them regardless of what they try to tell you and there's tons available used... What's that say about a car that just came out in 2006??? The production numbers are so high that I doubt there will ever be any serious residual value... So buy it and drive it into the ground but watch out as that Subaru WRX/STI as it blows your doors off

Last edited by bull30; 01-30-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You obviously haven't met me

I think you have a secret man-crush on cayman
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
I think you have a secret man-crush on cayman
No, but on occasion I have had my head stuck up my ____
Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
JimG
Instructor

Originally Posted by bull30
Me drive the MINI... Only if I have to cause it's the wife's daily driver... I drive a Ford Escape everyday so you can imagine I look forward to the weekends... I will say though at 208HP her MINI is pretty quick...
I am new to this board but have owned a gutless, P-car wannabe, girlie Boxster for 3 years now. I just do not get this animosity of different Porsche models, it is almost as bad as the Disco I versus Disco II clowns at discoweb. You got hammered when selling a 1 year old sports car with an auto tranny and blame the purchase on your wife. She also drives the C4 and the Mini, you get the Escape? I am reading this board because I am shopping for a new car that I will use as a daily driver and am trying to decide between a newer 997, new coxster, or older 996/993. And yes I am considering a brand new 987S, mainly because it is cheaper than the CS.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimG
I am new to this board but have owned a gutless, P-car wannabe, girlie Boxster for 3 years now. I just do not get this animosity of different Porsche models, it is almost as bad as the Disco I versus Disco II clowns at discoweb. You got hammered when selling a 1 year old sports car with an auto tranny and blame the purchase on your wife. She also drives the C4 and the Mini, you get the Escape? I am reading this board because I am shopping for a new car that I will use as a daily driver and am trying to decide between a newer 997, new coxster, or older 996/993. And yes I am considering a brand new 987S, mainly because it is cheaper than the CS.
I drive the Ford Escape because it's a company car and they pay for everything... I had a Durango but when the lease was up the company decided to be more fuel conscience... That's why I look forward to the weekends & warm weather... Yup she drives the MINI & the C4S... The Tiger and Porsche AR are mine... I'm hoping there's a GT3 in my future... We'll see...

I drove a 987S... I thought it was a fun car... I think I felt that way because it's a convertable...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Your Cayman s was automatic on top of it all?? Well that explains it.
You think a 996 GT3 is going to be a great investment too? I know a guy with 2 for sale...a silver one and a white one; track driven mind you...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

Bull_30 please post your VIN# so we can verify if it is an authentic AR or not. It doesn't really matter to me but I hate to see other people get taken.

What I get from reading Bull_30's posts is that he got banned from the PCA Cayman Register site so he took it out on his car and ditched the Cayman. He now puts down the Cayman. If the AR is such a great car perhaps he would be willing to go head to head on the track vs. the Cayman owned by the PCA Cayman Register chairperson and administrator of the site he got banned from. I'd pay good money to watch that.

We should all drive 928s anyway!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Does Bull_30 track at all? If he doesn't track your right Cayman was the wrong car for him. Cayman's are FLY when I see them at the track : ). Regards. Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i dont think you have driven enough cars to really get this.

If I truly want performance & handling, I'll break out some serious bucks and find a 1965 TVR Griffith or a Porsche GT3...

stock to stock, GT3 can handle better than cay s if you know how to drive, but you are comparing cars that are of different price category.

i own three GT3 and three cayman s in various tunes, have driven off of them on track, street, each car got 20k miles on them at the min. so i speak from experience.

That was not what I wanted... I wanted a car that you don't see on the road often if at all, something unique without the nightmares of owning something Made in Italy...

I found what I want for now until I get the urge to add another toy to my collection... That's what is so nice about the kids being grown and gone... I can by the toys I want without feeling guilty ... It's truly a nice place to be...

subject opinions are welcome, but facts are facts. they aren't to be mixed up.

As far as the Cayman's concerned... The dealers can't move them regardless of what they try to tell you and there's tons available used...
but all these are subjective opinions and doesn't say if cayman is good or bad.

RSA as well as e36m3 lwt command some premium today. when they were new, they were HEAVILY discounted and many sat over a year with no buyers. using your metrics, these would also be lousy cars?

there's a local dealer with a mclaren F1 that sat in the showroom for over 6 months with no takers, a virgine 964 cup car (i think) #1 that didn't sell for over 2 years. all these are terrible cars b/c they sat in the showroom with no buyers? a veryon from the same dealer was sold quickly, that must be a good car?

in 99 when boxster first came out, it sold like hot cakes. it must be a better car than 993 then. 993 sold at sticker, boxster sold over msrp.

The production numbers are so high that I doubt there will ever be any serious residual value...
i want a good car that's mass produced b/c i drive the crap out of my cars. i want to get replace engines, body part, trannies cheap. the more they make the better it is. but then this is my subject opinion.

So buy it and drive it into the ground but watch out as that Subaru WRX/STI as it blows your doors off

do i like cayman? yes.
do i have one? yes.
but i just sold it.
why? i dont have the money to keep 10 cars. i sold it to try something new. is that new car going to be better than cayman? i dont know. i will try it nonetheless.

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster