Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Personally, I hope they ARE "dropping like a rock in value." If that's the case, I should be able to get one all that much sooner!

I have no idea what the selling prices of used CSs are but the asking prices are quite high in my area: mostly mid to upper $50s for low mileage '06s.
See my statement above. My car has 10K miles on it. I "asked" mid 50's for mine too but I ain't gettin mid 50's for it.

Why would somebody pay mid to upper 50's used when they are on dealers lots brand new for that price?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
joey c
Pro

i think that the point is that when you buy a car thats 15+ years old,they have depreciated...a new car takes most of the hit in the 1st 5 years..also,993 and older will hold its value and maybe go up in value due to no air cooled cars being made..i think that porsche prices are real high..and a hard top boxster for almost 70k is absurd..if they depreciate like boxsters and 996s,you will be able to buy one in 3 years for 30-35k.if you can afford it,what the hell...i thought about it and drove a few,and realized that for 45k..i can buy a 2003 996 thats a lot more car than a cayman s..apples and oranges,but i would take a 911 anyday..j
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

...i thought about it and drove a few,and realized that for 45k..i can buy a 2003 996 thats a lot more car than a cayman s

Yes you can, but there's a reason that 996s have depreciated so dramatically and it's not all because they are water cooled.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
joey c
Pro

fast..i agree with you,but all new porsches depreciate pretty fast..in 2000,i leased a brand new boxster s,58k(roughly)..my payment with NO money down was 725 a month..these days are over..i spoke with my old dealer the other day and he said that leases are not like they used to be...boxsters and 996s are the same..the are a ton of them that came off lease and the leasing companies took a hit..over saturation..then add rms issues and over all build quality..its too soon to know about the cayman and the 997,but i doubt things will change much..there are a lot of porsches on the road.and the used porsche market is surely a buyers market(for all models)
you can buy a 996 tt for less than a 993 tt..you can buy a 2000 -01 bosxter s for 22-25k..
i dont seem why this wont happen to the cayman or even the 997..audis and bmws take the same if not worse hit,but my main point was that a 45k 03 996 is more car for the buck than a new cayman..j
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, such hostility & insecurity bull. You really shouldn't post about your decisions if you're so fragile that you can't handle contrary opinions. Of course, were you that secure, you wouldn't have felt compelled to post at all.

Here's the reality: everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. By posting you asked for ours. I've not asked for yours or others on Rennlist re: my car selling/buying since I don't care what you or others may think. My car buying decisions are based on my needs, resources & desires. If buying a mass produced, rapidly depreciating Boxster hardtop w/o LSD, (feel free to add any other trite criticisms you have) makes me happy, why should I care what you think? I don't need to seek validation from anyone. Fortunately I can afford my well thought out decision which, after 5k miles I don't regret one iota.

Now, here's my opinion of your described situation: you (1) apparently misunderstood pretty basic new Porsche economics, (2) either over spent or bought a car on impulse rather than reason & bailed at the worst possible time, (3) seem to believe a stagnant, declining or minimally appreciating asset is a good investment, (4) are now questioning the wisdom of your decisions & looking for strangers to say, "you were right," and (5) when they say the opposite, you lash out.

So, I ask again:

...what was the point of your post here on the Cayman forum? Did you think other Cayman owners or potential owners might have thought the Cayman to be an investment opportunity? I doubt anyone here did. Or are you looking for validation of your "financial" decision making?

Really bull, you shouldn't care what we think or say about what to me were poor choices. I hope you realize this thread can't give you the happy ending you desire & is a total waste of bandwidth.
Cheers.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
joey c
Pro

i am happy for him..as long as he is happy..i also like his new car more,but thats my opinion which really means nothing on this or any board
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joey c
... my main point was that a 45k 03 996 is more car for the buck than a new cayman..j
Joey
I agree with your point about post 1998 P car depreciation. I disagree with your above statement. It assumes everyone shares your analysis of Cayman S vs 996. I don't happen to like the 996 on several levels & have never considered buying one. Just my personal preference & obviously YMMV.

Before deciding to sell my very nicely modded daily driver 993 I considered keeping it or buying a Cayman S, 993TT, 997S, or 996GT3. Those were the only cars I considered. My decision after much thought, research, several test drives & track time was to buy a new Cayman S. I fully understood & can handle the financial issues. If all I wanted was "bang for the buck" I'd be driving a ZO6.

What I don't get is why so many Rennlisters (mostly 964 or 993 owners) seem drawn to come to this Cayman board to bash the car. IMO all it's done is driven a new generation of P car owners elsewhere. As a long time Rennlister (well before this site) that saddens me.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STLPCA
Really bull, you shouldn't care what we think or say about what to me were poor choices. I hope you realize this thread can't give you the happy ending you desire & is a total waste of bandwidth.
Cheers.
First of all your letting your Cayman Club elitist attitude show... Take that crap back to that club... Second you seem to have missed the point completely only to hear yourself ramble on aimlessly...

I'm EXTREMELY happy & secure with my decision to purchase the American Roadster... My wife drives the 993 C4S which was another outstanding decision... It seems the only poor decision I made was the Cayman S... If your happy with your CS then that's great... I thought the car in general was extremely boring to drive... But then again I'm used to owning TRUE sports cars something a Cayman S will never be...

I must admit I do like getting your dander up here and at the Cayman Club... Let's compare notes in 5 years when your CS is worth about $20,000 or less and my American Roadster will be around $70,000 or more.... Well worth taking the hit on my CS...

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR HARDTOPPED BOXSTER...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 PM
joey c
Pro

hehe
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Come on Bull, you know the car is more than a hardtop Boxster. I'm sure you got pissed when you bought the CS and heard that from other P car owners. Now that you no longer own it you feel the need to utter that nonsense.

Am I saddened by its dip in value? hell yes. Is the car overpriced? hell yes. Is it boring to drive? hell NO. The CS is a true sportscar. It is designed for ripping through the twisties, not for sipping latte's while driving. Perhaps you may have felt different about the car if you wouldn't have bought a Tip. I know the reason you bought the Tip. I am not saying that you shouldn't have bought the Tip. But to make a comment about "what a true sportscar is" and yours was a Tip really has me puzzled.

Don't be like a certain % of the population on here that disrespect the car. It is a damn nice sportscar (taking all of the economics out of the conversation). It handles better than any car I have ever been in. I want more power and torque and that is the reason I'm selling mine for the 996tt. However, you will not hear anything from me ripping the car about this and that once it is sold. I'm just pissed that I paid close to MSRP for mine.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,504 Likes on 2,278 Posts

american roadster is a great car, it would probably hold value, but will not appreciate if you factor in inflation. i seriously doubt any porsches will increase in value.

to say cayman is not fun is incorrect, to say the least. it is different than 911 for sure, but no less fun. i have had just about every versions of 911's from SC to whatever they make now. all nice, but all different. one is no more fun than the other. they ALL have problems.

someone mentioned an used 996 is more car than a new cayman? depends on what you want. i have had 6 996's, beside the GT3's i dont think 996s were any more fun or more car than cayman. and given equal driver, a 3.4L cayman will be glue to the *** of any 996 cars without X51. so which is more car?

now if you want to talk about dep'n you are correct. cayman will depreciate a LOT. but i dont really care. my SC, carerra, boxster, GT3, 964, 993, 996 all depreciated a lot. but i have had a lot of fun in each of them. 20k/year in everyone of my porsche at the min. i dont factor in dep'n when i purchase a car, otherwise, i would be driving accords.

finally, when ppl discuss dep'n the forget that those cars that held values are rarely driven, then were is the fun. give me a rare 73RS; by now i would have over 600K miles on it. do you think my RS will be worth 150k like all the other ones?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
to say cayman is not fun is incorrect, to say the least. it is different than 911 for sure, but no less fun. i have had just about every versions of 911's from SC to whatever they make now. all nice, but all different. one is no more fun than the other. they ALL have problems.
I would say that fun is at best subjective... I did not set out to buy a Cayman S... My wife bought the car and then decided she wanted a 993 widebody... So I got stuck with the Cayman... Not a bad thing but it wasn't really what I wanted either... I did not find the Cayman that fun to drive but then again I'm used to a very different feel in a sports car...

I don't want to slam the Cayman... It was a pleasant car to drive... Nothing more or less... A nice car!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice car, but investment? Only if you hardly drive it.

Where's the fun in that?

Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

What I don't get is why so many Rennlisters (mostly 964 or 993 owners) seem drawn to come to this Cayman board to bash the car.

It would be interesting to get a psychologist to give us his views as to why there is such internecine warfare amongst the owners of different Porsche models. Although I've owned various 911 models, the last being a 993, I certainly don't look down on those who own a Boxster or a Cayman or a 996 as not having a "true" Porsche. I've also owned two different iterations of the Vette, and still visit a Vette forum on a fairly regular basis, and I see absolutely no bashing of the different Vette iterations. Moreover, I have two friends that presently own 993s and they love both the Boxster and Cayman. So maybe the bashers are part of a small but vocal minority.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,504 Likes on 2,278 Posts

i dont bash anything, i just keep changing and driving all sort of different cars. they are ALL different, if one is stuck on a particular model, they are missing out all the other fun cars.

993 is gorgeous, but on track it will be eaten alive by GT3's. however, of course, not everyone drives on track and 993 has other attributes that GT3 has not.

btw, anything after RS is not visceral, i am sorry. try drive a lotus 7, now we are talking!

Quick Reply: BYE BYE Cayman - HELLO America Roadster