Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
alan, i agree with your analysis. in the end, it's really about what YOU want.

i would take cayman S over ANY current porsches with two exceptions: GT3 and CGT.
How is the "RSing" process on your Cayman going mooty?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
How is the "RSing" process on your Cayman going mooty?
i am not that crazy. you are thinking of Lee. he will have his cayman RS in no time
Old 03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

A cayman RS would be fun to see.

I feel the same way in that I would rather have the cayman than any other new porsche out there. In fact it is the first new porsche I have been even half seriously interested in many years.

All I am stating is what appears to be porsche's point of view here. I have read quotes from porsche in a few articles that in a nutshell state that the 911 is their premier product and that they will not build a car that will steal the 911's thunder other than the CGT.

Do I think that this is good marketing? No. Do I think that the cayman is a supirior car to the 911. Yes. I never had the belief that some do that the 911 is the holy grail of porsches and automobiles in general and the only "real" porsche. But thats me.

But from porsches point of view, it appears as though they want the cay to be at a lower placment in their lineup in their minds and the minds of their less knowledgable customers. As far as claimed straight line speed, displacement, claimed nurenburg ring times, and base price, they have positioned it between the boxter s and 911. Thats how the dealers promote it for god sakes. I asked the dealer I went to if porsche was planning on putting a larger displacment engine in the Cayman. His answer "No, to my knowledge they have no plans to do so, for a faster porsche you would have to move UP to the 911".

And thats exactly where they want it, or so it would appear.

And as far as those that buy porsches for status, they always are going to buy the most expensive model they can afford and probably do aspire to own a 911. You could take a civic, put a flat 6 and a porsche crest on it, paint it arctic silver, and they still will sell a few to those who want to say they own a porsche.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:15 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am stating is what appears to be porsche's point of view here...that the 911 is their premier product and that they will not build a car that will steal the 911's thunder
From a Porsche marketing perspective the Cayman is definitely the little brother and one rung lower in the family pecking order. It will be interesting to see if the marketplace agrees or if the Cayman's superior dynamics allow it to surpass the Carrera with a little help from the aftermarket. Many of Harley-Davidson's best ideas originated in the aftermarket and after seeing what the customer wanted Harley produced it. Maybe Porsche will learn a lesson from them.

Alan
Old 03-11-2006, 01:18 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Not that any one would try it, but I would love to see a handling comparo between the Cayman and the MR2 Spider. The MR2 consistently beat the Miata in comparos thanks to it's mid-engine lay out. I was extremely happy how my Miata handled, thus I'm a firm believer in a mid-engine platforms.

Anyone know what is the Slalom speed for an MR2?

In terms of the debate between the 911 and the Cayman, we can take that debate across the entire spectrum of sports cars. For the most bang/fun for the buck, I would have to say it is the Miata hands down. Get a 1996 Miata, throw in a super charger and get that to 230 HP on 2200#s. Corners like a dream. All for about $12k. How do you beat that?

Thanks.

CP
Old 03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am not that crazy. you are thinking of Lee. he will have his cayman RS in no time

Ah, sorry, a case of mistaken crazyness.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do I think that this is good marketing? No. Do I think that the cayman is a supirior car to the 911. Yes. I never had the belief that some do that the 911 is the holy grail of porsches and automobiles in general and the only "real" porsche. But thats me.
We're on the same page here. Just semantics of the term "lesser car".
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Xavier6162
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CP
Not that any one would try it, but I would love to see a handling comparo between the Cayman and the MR2 Spider. The MR2 consistently beat the Miata in comparos thanks to it's mid-engine lay out.

Anyone know what is the Slalom speed for an MR2?
To me slalom means nothing as it is conditional on other variables such as tire condition, track conditions, weather, etc....

Found a little info though.

2195 lbs
600' slalom: 66.1mph
138 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 125 ft lb , 169 Nm @ 4,400 rpm
121HP /110 ft lb (to rear wheels)
0-60 MPH 6.6

You can’t expect much from a car that comes stock with inferior tires and a spongy suspension. Though I understand that it will pull 1G on the skid pad if you update the tires from High Performance to Max Performance.

That being said, and despite it poor performance rating, it was by far the most fun of any car I’ve ever tested.

It really “IS” a toy.

“Enjoyable”, “Pleasurable” and “Super Light Weight Wooo Weeeeee fun“ falls into separate categories.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
To me slalom means nothing as it is conditional on other variables such as tire condition, track conditions, weather, etc....

Found a little info though.

2195 lbs
600' slalom: 66.1mph
138 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 125 ft lb , 169 Nm @ 4,400 rpm
121HP /110 ft lb (to rear wheels)
0-60 MPH 6.6

You can’t expect much from a car that comes stock with inferior tires and a spongy suspension. Though I understand that it will pull 1G on the skid pad if you update the tires from High Performance to Max Performance.

That being said, and despite it poor performance rating, it was by far the most fun of any car I’ve ever tested.

It really “IS” a toy.

“Enjoyable”, “Pleasurable” and “Super Light Weight Wooo Weeeeee fun“ falls into separate categories.
Hey Xavier6162,

Great info. and your first post as well.

So do you test drive cars professionally? Not being cynical, just wish to know. Please tell us more about your test drives.

I agree with you. On the streets and twisties, fun and road feel are paramount (to me anyways). I'm only as fast as the next car in front and the Cop's radar gun, so 1,000 HP means nothing to me. But the fun feel and the rush of brillaint cornering (i.e. good platform, great chasis, great suspension, alignment and tires) can be attained with every turn.

I love the Miata for that reason (probably a capital offense on Porsches boards) and was amazed that the MR2 beats it in almost all the comparos I've read. In each case, the factor cited is the mid-engine, low polar moment of inertia layout. That is why I am sold on the Cayman.

Now please tell your story. I'm all ears.

CP
Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

It seems like with all cars fun always comes in two extreme catagories.

First is the perverbial modern slot car that is not overpowered but no slouch and handles like a dream, is easy to drive, and just feels great and is a blast to drive, even if there are much faster straight line cars out there.

Then the other catagory to me is the obscenly overpowered chassis (musclecars specifically) that just makes you smile from ear to ear as you make severly traction limited blasts through the gears waking up the dead as you blast by in a car that was originally built 40 years ago that can still give most modern cars a serious run for their money in the straight line.Without computers, traction control, EFI, or digital anything.

Sure it cant stop or handle as well as a new car, but thats half the fun.
Within reason of course. The guys that are driving around 440-6 mopars with manual 4 wheel drums, manual steering, and a 4 speed, all on 6" wide rims with bias ply reproduction tires and stock style shocks and springs have a death wish IMO.

It seems to me that every car in the world is some blend of these two driving expirience extremes. Vette and cayman included.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
CP
Race Director

ClassJ

That's why I'm sold on RUF. They help break of mold of your premise above. A RUF Cayman can pump 400+ HP on a mid-engine platform. That should be something else.

In fact my RUF BTR pumps 426 HP, 438 ft-lb toruqe, on 2,996 lbs. 2WD and no traction control, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, and 196 MPH top speed. If I was a better driver, the BTR would be a very dangerous weapon.

The point is we can change suspension, alignment, brakes and tires all day long. That can get you potentially significant handling improvements. Similarly, we can used forced-induction to up the power/torque (within reasons). However, if the car inherently lacks stiffness (Miata, MR2), or road feel (SLK, SL etc.) and platform lay-out (either front of rear engine, front or rear drive), it is impossible to overcome these inherent design attributes.

I'd love the Cayman to come in at 2,500 lbs or so, but with 'modern' cars (read luxury and safety), that's but a pipe dream. I'll take a RUF Cayman over a SC Miata anytime.

CP
Old 03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

It seems like with all cars fun always comes in two extreme catagories.

First is the perverbial modern slot car that is not overpowered but no slouch and handles like a dream, is easy to drive, and just feels great and is a blast to drive, even if there are much faster straight line cars out there.

Then the other catagory to me is the obscenly overpowered chassis (musclecars specifically) that just makes you smile from ear to ear as you make severly traction limited blasts through the gears
I have experienced both and here is my story. Last year after dropping off a babysitter I was heavily into my C6 Corvette's throttle on a 35 mph back road. I was so involved with driving the beast that I couldn't even look at the instruments. Yesterday I did the same road in the Cayman S and thought it was seriously down on power. As I casually glanced at the instrument cluster I was surprised to find I was doing 93 mph. I don't think I was going much faster in the Corvette but it felt like I was on the edge while the Cayman felt like it could have handled a turbocharger. Both experiences were quite enjoyable but my children are much happier that I now drive a Porsche since there is a greater likelihood that I will live long enough to pay for their college educations.

Alan
Old 03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

It is amazing how porsches mask speed so well. On the cayman test drive on the way back to the dealer I came down a familiar onramp in first and stepped in and wound it through a few shifts (which sounded great and metallic). Using my senses am thinking to myself that should be about 75mph. I let out of the throttle, shift to sixth, look down and we are doing over 90. I said to myself, this thing is quicker than it seems for sure.

I actually enjoy both musclecars and sports cars myself. The cayman had a really fun feel when driving normally that I have really only expirienced in porsches and a few other sports cars. Most of them are neutered and refined to a point that you feel like you are driving a honda or something until you really start wailing on the car. To me I shouldent have to be approching light speed to be having fun. Especially considering the traffic around here.

Saftey in the vette is a concern of mine. Porsche discusses in good detail the saftey features of the cayman and their other cars. In the vette, it seems as if saftey is a four letter word or something. At least the porsche is still all metal where it counts. Sure the vette is exotic, but what happens when fiberglass, balsa wood, carbon fiber, and aluminum hits a tree??

Are their crash test reports out there for the vette? I havent been able to find one. What about porsches, where are those results?

I wonder cars like these through the same process as "normal" cars given their limited production.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan

Are you saying that you were doing 93 on a 35 posted curvy <?>

tino
Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by soltino
Are you saying that you were doing 93 on a 35 posted curvy <?>
I slowed for the curves but on the short straight that is the number I saw when I looked down. As ClassJ said, you don't realize how fast you are going in the Cayman.

I understand that all cars must be crash tested before they can be sold in the USA. Neither Chevy or Porsche advertise the results but I understand they both did pretty well from Internet postings.

Alan

Quick Reply: Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06