Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:17 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not driven a Z06, but a while back I took a spirited test drive in an C6 with z51 package. At the time, my daily driver was a Volvo S60R. I had owned a Boxster and Viper in the past, have some track time, and I'll admit to a definite teutonic bias, but I was prepared to be blown away by the C6 given the press reports. I was not able to push the car extremely hard, but at reasonable speeds I was bored out of my skull. The steering was just about the worst I can remember, and the interior and build quality was appalling. As it turned out, my Volvo felt like a proper sports car in comparison -- obviously, nowhere near the same class in objective performance, but much more fun. Go figure. I will retain an open mind, but I remain unconvinced that a GM car will inspire. I am sure, if pressed, a Corvette will be a lot of fun, but -- realistically -- how safe or responsible is it to press a 400-500hp car on public roads?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is what race tracks are for.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

That's right. Circuits are where race-oriented cars are in their element, and feel right. Like a Zo6, a GT3 would feel also seem to be loafing at incredible speeds on public roads; however, the P-car retains some of its entertainment value at much lower speeds. I know I'm rehashing a common theme, but I can't quite understand people who purchase road automobiles based purely on objective measurements. If you really want a race car, you've got to buy a race car. With street machines, it's all about what makes you feel good, what gives the sensations, because they are all inherently compromised. You would have to be a fool to put down 70k for something, simply because Sir Isaac Newton measures it a certain way -- that's just being conformist, so you can brag around the water cooler. If the Vette makes you feel good, then enjoy it, but know that there's nothing at all objective about the thrill.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:43 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Interesting read, but have to say that these two cars being compared are two totally different cars and really can't be compared. My next vehicle will probably be another Z06 (c6, I have the C5 Z06 now) and have to say that I would not even consider a Cayman. Now if I had the bucks it would probably hands down be a Turbo or one of the GT# cars but unfortunately right now it is not in the budget. It is even hard to compare the standard C6 to a Cayman with its 400hp but if I was to compare them, they would be a lot closer. If you are buying a C6 Z06 you are most likely a HP junkie like me and would never be happy with anything other than one of the turbo cars no matter how much quality.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Agent,

I'm the original poster of this thread. I've never driven a Corvette but I did ride "passenger" in one during an autocross event (2002 C5 Z06). My last car was a Nissan and I ran 12.9 in the 1/4. I am a Horsepower Junkie like you. I also test drove a 2001 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. It was seriously too much car for me. It was so fast that it was up to unbelievable speeds too quickly. I couldn't even enjoy the sound of the engine because once I pressed on the gas it was time to brake. Now, I still have dreams of owning a Turbo 911 but I'll have to be older and less brave. I'm afraid I'd kill myself if I owned one now.

Without driving the Cayman S you really can't say that the new Z06 and the Cayman S can't be compared. They can be compared. They are both 2-seat sports cars at a very similar price. I'd challenge you to drive the Cayman S (20 miles or more) on a test drive and then post your experience in this thread. I think that you'd be suprised.

Shane
Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo Driver
Without driving the Cayman S you really can't say that the new Z06 and the Cayman S can't be compared. They can be compared. They are both 2-seat sports cars at a very similar price. I'd challenge you to drive the Cayman S (20 miles or more) on a test drive and then post your experience in this thread. I think that you'd be suprised.
You have to qualify that statement. 20 miles on curvy and/or engaging roads vs. just 20 miles on straight interstate or stop light jumping.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Both. But we all know that the Cayman was meant for curvy roads. I'm just saying.... "Drive it!"

Shane
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agent,

I'm the original poster of this thread. I've never driven a Corvette but I did ride "passenger" in one during an autocross event (2002 C5 Z06). My last car was a Nissan and I ran 12.9 in the 1/4. I am a Horsepower Junkie like you. I also test drove a 2001 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. It was seriously too much car for me. It was so fast that it was up to unbelievable speeds too quickly. I couldn't even enjoy the sound of the engine because once I pressed on the gas it was time to brake. Now, I still have dreams of owning a Turbo 911 but I'll have to be older and less brave. I'm afraid I'd kill myself if I owned one now.

Shane
That's funny - you say the 996 turbo is too much car for you, but you were considering a new Z06? The Z06 is faster than a 996 turbo!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Yeah... I can see how that sounds funny. I know that the Z06 is faster than the 996T. I rolled my last car pushing it too hard on some curves. Maybe I'm just gun shy now.

Shane
Old 04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Agent,

Shane
I would love to take that challenge. I am sure I would probably walk away liking it but still stand by my statement that they are different cars despite the obvious similatities. Actually, I may even take it one step further, loving it. But still think it won't fill the void or need for speed like the 505hp could.

I have to agree with PCar964. The new Z is an animal and can get away from an unskilled (and probably a skilled driver) very quickly and easly if it is not given the utmost respect. This is what draws me to this car. I have been bored with my C5 Z06 for a while now and it too is a fast car and pretty descent in the twisties. I want something that keep me a little intimidated and will keep the blood flowing. I am also pretty sure that a Turbo or GT2 would probably do the same thing but would have much nice paint and leather which is also nice but needless to say, "you pay for". There are solutions for this on the vette like Carrvagio or Vette Essentials but like I said, you pay for it, although probably not as much as with Porsche since I can get top quality seats and boots for approx 3 to 4g. Probably another 3 or 4g if I do the dash and console in leather.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by agentf1
The new Z is an animal and can get away from an unskilled (and probably a skilled driver) very quickly and easly if it is not given the utmost respect. This is what draws me to this car. I have been bored with my C5 Z06 for a while now
I can't think of a better car for you than the Z06. The noise and heat should be minor inconveniences in comparison to the on-the-edge thrills it will provide.

Alan
Old 04-07-2006, 11:01 AM
agentf1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I can't think of a better car for you than the Z06. The noise and heat should be minor inconveniences in comparison to the on-the-edge thrills it will provide.

Alan
You obviously haven't driven a new Z06. It is like a freaking Caddillac. There is NO noise or heat whatsoever, unless you are talking about the heated seats. The on the edge thrill is just awesome but yet you still have the electronic safety net which I feel is perfect but in reality probably not aggressive enough for some of the people that will end up wrapping their new Z06 around a tree. I actually kinda wish the new Z06 still retained a bit of its edge (I am starting to sound like the Viper guys now). Even with the exhaust fuse pulled it is pretty quiet. With it in it is WAY to quiet.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by agentf1
You obviously haven't driven a new Z06. It is like a freaking Caddillac. There is NO noise or heat whatsoever
No, I haven't but I did own a C6 last year. My noise and heat comments were based on road tests I have read and the fact that Chevy pulled insulation out of the C6 to make the Z06 lighter and faster. The center console got a little warm in my C6 so I didn't find the road test comments to be surprising.

The fact that the C6 was like a Cadillac is one of the things I didn't like about my car. For a daily driver it was great, if a little uninvolving. For a weekend toy I prefer to be reminded that I am in a sports car and would probably find the alleged noise in the Z06 to be a good thing. While the feel of the car is subjective and something we may never agree on, there is no debating the Z06's amazing performance and price. I think you will love it when you get it.

Alan
Old 04-08-2006, 02:35 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Z06 is a rather trick car. I like it, though I don't love it. And, I'm keeping it. In fact, I feel no need to mod it... which is unusual for me. It is, well... the Z06 is trick.

But, what the Z06 has that makes it trick is power to weight to price with a factory warranty... the ONLY reasons it's in my garage. Seriously, I can't speak for anyone else but, as far a 500+ horsepower American two seaters go, I'd much rather have a Ford GT than a C6 Z06 but for $92,000 less, I took the Z06.

I don't own a Cayman S and I've only test driven a launch car with a 200 lb. salesman in the passenger seat. I do own a Carrera S and I have auto-crossed a Boxster S and from that experience set I can say that the P-cars have everything that the Z06 lacks but they don't have everything that the Z06 has. If I did have to choose, without a doubt I'd choose the... silver one.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Spidee
1st Gear

Agent,
I am a Horsepower Junkie like you. I couldn't even enjoy the sound of the engine because once I pressed on the gas it was time to brake.

Shane
I couldn't bring myself to read 10 pages. I did read the first 2 and the last 2. Everyone has shared truthful answers, and this thread has really helped me. Especially the quote above. I'd like to share a little about the Z06's cousin, the CTS-V.

I have a Magnacharged CTS-V putting down 422whp and 448wtq. The car has Hotchkis sways, supercharger, bassani exhaust, and on stock tires. I've tracked it two times. Once at Thunderhill raceway in northern California and the other track day two weekends ago at Laguna Seca.

Prior to the CTS-V, I tracked a 2003 VW GTI 24V VR6 with some modifications. I had every Neuspeed bar, bbs wheels, Bilstein PSS coils, chip, cai, and some pulleys. I tracked this car about 3 times at thunderhill raceway. I had a better track experience in the GTI than I have in the V.

Anyhow, now after tracking the V, I've come to realize HP is not everything. It's beautiful to know you have it. It's also gratifying to know almost no car can smoke me. I've had some worthy encounters on the street like, 2 M5's(400hp version), 1 C6 Vette, and 996 TT. All have seen my plates on the freeway. On the track......it's a different story.

As fast as the V is on the track, there's no comparison to a Porsche or Vette on the track. The V is not as nimble as I hoped it would be. There aren't too many aftermarket parts available for suspensions to assist the added horsepower.

The other gripe is, this much hp lets gears go by so quick that getting to 140mph is too fast to enjoy. To enjoy it, 99% of the time requires a closed course. Public roads just aren't clear enough.

Something about the C6 Z06 leads me to believe I'm going to end up with a more nimble CTS-V. I want refinement with the experience of the drive. I don't want the engine heat to leak in the cab like in the V. Also, the C6 Z06 has some weird tranny chatter that's being reported. I had a first hand experience of that tranny chatter when I test drove a C6 Vette. Although not a C6 Z06, still the same noise.

So soon I'll be replacing the V for a Porsche of some sorts or, paying off the V to acquire a Cayman S or 911 CS.

Quick Reply: Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06