Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 AM
thomas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Does the Z06 go down the same assembly line as any other GM car?
The Cadillac XLR and XLR-V are built at the same Bowling Green, KY plant but I think on different lines. The XLR-V, like the Z06, has a hand-built engine from the same engine plant in Wixom, MI.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 AM
TetraU
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Helo Driver
Well....well....well,

Being the original author and originator of this thread I definitely didn't intend to spark THIS MUCH debate but it's fun to see. I'm very new to this particular forum but I am not new to car-related forums. I like this forum a lot.

It's funny to see how all forums have the potential for their threads to turn into rock throwing contests. I didn't expect it on a Porsche forum though. My last car was a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V (a cheap car - below 20k). Granted, I loved the car and turbo-charged it and ran 12.9 in the 1/4 mile. My point is that most people on my "Sentra" forum were between the ages of 17 and 23. Now I'm on a Porsche forum and I'm seeing the same thing. Just surprising, that's all. It's kind of refreshing to see actually. It just shows that EVERYONE has passion for his or her personal vehicle.

It does seem as though this thread has had some "Corvette Forum" people join up and make comments. I welcome their comments as well as their membership unless they're just here to bash people or certain products (it really doesn't matter what I think though, this isn't my forum... nor am I a moderator).

I am glad that this thread has generated so much debate. That is why I join forums such as this one, so that I can learn about a specific car. This forum is a fun way to do so.

One of the Corvette guys posted (MagicMtnDan), "I submit that if you're someone who buys a Cayman S instead of a Z06 then the Z06 really isn't the right car for you anyway. Being satisfied with 300 HP instead of 505 HP speaks volumes about you." I DISSAGREE completely. This debate wouldn't be such a hot topic if Corvette Z06 and Cayman S buyers weren't interested in the same kind of car. I'll bet that most Cayman S owners considered buying a Z06. Although, I'll also bet that most Z06 owners did NOT consider owning a Cayman S. Bottom Line: They're two very different cars but I do think that the Z06 is for me. I had to buy ONE new car though. If I could afford both of them, then I'd own both. I can't so I chose the Cayman. I need more than just raw power. And yes, the Corvette is a LOT more than just raw power but in my opinion it is not as well rounded as the Cayman is. What the Cayman lacks in power it makes up for elsewhere. It's 75% pure sports car, 15% Luxury, and 10% grand touring (and that's what I was looking for).

Shane
I am not here to advocate you to buy the Z06, but you ought to at least drive a C6 if not a C6 Z06 (Find a member on the CorvetteForum.com in your area. They would be glad to let you test it). The performance are night and day from what you are used to. (nissan or the cayman). You are still relatively young. To have some jacka$$ dealers turning you away from one of the best performance cars made in the world is just silly.

I can see why you would enjoy the Cayman. But the C6 Z06 is totally a different car that offers a entirely different experience. It would be a shame to not have experienced it by choice.

The shear adrenaline rush you get from acellerating from 50mph to 150mph in blink of an eye through a big sweeping curve is something entirely different from the nimble and draty feel of the Cayman.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by TetraU
Find a member on the CorvetteForum.com in your area. They would be glad to let you test it
This is one of the best Corvette forums and he is probably right.

Alan
Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The shear adrenaline rush you get from acellerating from 50mph to 150mph in blink of an eye through a big sweeping curve is something entirely different from the nimble and draty feel of the Cayman

Although my preferance is for the Cayman, I have to admit that HP is one of the most important ingredients in a Sports car. What makes Ferraris so deireable? Granted that they are generally beautifully designed cars, but suppose they only had 275 HP instead of the 475+ HP most of them have. So GM deserves a lot of credit for building a car that is at least as fast as performance cars that cost 2 to 3 times as much. The only 911s that are as fast as the Z are the turbos or GT cars, and you can't buy them for under $100K.

BTW the primary reason that I prefer the Cayman over the Z is the poor customer service at my local Chevy Dealers. The Caddy dealer near me offers great service, and if the Z were sold and serviced there, I'd be putting my order in today.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas
The Cadillac XLR and XLR-V are built at the same Bowling Green, KY plant but I think on different lines. The XLR-V, like the Z06, has a hand-built engine from the same engine plant in Wixom, MI.
Thanks all who answered that question.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Re deconted boxter:
Don't mean to start a flame war. I haven't driven a Cayman, since I'm not in the market. I was referencing the removal of the convertible top simultaneous with the price increase. Offhand, I can't recall a convertible model cheaper than the comparable coupe.
Consider that the Cayman S is not just a Boxster with a hard top. Aside from having 15hp more, it's far more rigid and provides an entirely different feel. The motor is part 911, part Boxster S. In fact, Porsche will admit that more parts come from the "911 bin" than from the "Boxster bin". So, instead of thinkin of it as a "Boxster Coupe", think of it as a mid-engined 911...only cheaper.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

No one is making this up. Dead Last is your beloved Porsche!
...yet they finished second in Customer Satisfaction....
Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Z06CTSV
1st Gear

Smile

I just ordered a Z. I got to ride in one, not test drive. That was enough for me.
And as far as test drives, I wouldn't want my Z or Cayman with any miles. I had a 911 and loved it. I just tend to go for more rough edged vehicles. I didn't look at all the post's, so this might be a repeat: "40 miles north of Nashville you can see as many Z06's as you would ever need, Bowling Green"..

Good Luck
Joe
New Orleans
Old 03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06CTSV
I just ordered a Z
All this cross-posting with the CorvetteForum will have us buying T-shirts with both logos and Plays Well With Others on it.

Alan
Old 03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

I'll take the first shirt. Too funny.

Shane
Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shear adrenaline rush you get from acellerating from 50mph to 150mph in blink of an eye through a big sweeping curve is something entirely different from the nimble and draty feel of the Cayman.
Yep, lots of power and a great sound track are very enticing! I loved drivng the C5 C06 at the track because it was like driving a really fast race car; it had both great power and the sound track to go with it.

My Turbo has similar power to the C6 Z06 but the sound track is truly disappointing; those twin turbos unfortunately are too good at being silencers I bet the new Z has a fantastic soundtrack at full throttle with that muffler bypass

I have yet to get a ride in the new Z06, but look forward to it soon (a friend just got one and is taking it to Thunderhill raceway in April where I hope to get a ride).
Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Virtigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
All this cross-posting with the CorvetteForum will have us buying T-shirts with both logos and Plays Well With Others on it.

Alan
I want one!!!! LOL
Old 03-03-2006, 06:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

bet the new Z has a fantastic soundtrack at full throttle with that muffler bypass

I have heard the C6R at a track, and the sound is overwhelming and intimidating. I can't imagine any car pulling past me and sounding like that. There's nothing that beats the sound of large engine IMO.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Actually, the fact that feel is not quantitative is the whole point. You can show me a million quantitative differences between the Z06 and Cayman and I'll still buy the Cayman over the Z06 because *I* like the feel of the Cayman better. I've driven many high performance cars on the street and race tracks and I can tell you without a doubt, rear-mid-engined cars, rear-engined cars and front-mid-engined cars feel very different. I find mid-engined feel to be the most fun. And in they end, fun is not quantifiable yet it is the main reason why I buy certain cars.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Z06, mainly on the race track (I didn't use it much as a daily driver; too loud), but you drive it completely differently than a mid-engined car.

Regarding quality - as I've said, I owned a Z06 and I've also driven C6's at the track and an friend has a new Z06. My comments on quality are based on personal experience.
I agree. Engine placement creates an entirely different driving experience. Certainly, a 911 doesn't drive the same as a Corvette. I haven't driven a Cayman or Boxster yet, but I have driven Ferrari's, and they drive differently than a Corvette, too. I LOVE the feel of a mid-engine car. If only the Cayman came with a little more power - OK, a lot more.

Michael
Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Thats cool that you bought the Cayman, they are great cars. And they will be rarer then the Corvette for sure. And with you spending some time in Nashville it woun't be long before you start seeign C-6 Z06's on every corner, after all the Factory is only 50 miles away!

Brandon

Quick Reply: Bought a Cayman S instead of a Z06