Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987's for sale in the wild..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 07:09 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
I'm sorry - sounds like a conspiracy theory, if you ask me. :-)

Both my son and I are members. I was going to say that you could eat off my car's engine - that is until I looked closely at this pic and saw all the dust.

I'd like to think I cleaned it up soon after I took the below pic! :-)
Haha nice! Definitely cleaner than most. Looks great! If you detailed that yourself, you are the exception for sure.

Did anything ever work out with the GT3 muffler conversion?
Old 03-14-2023, 10:02 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Zach

Detailed it myself? Unfortunately, I would have it no other way!

On the exhaust - I'm on the horns of a dilemma

Last Fall, John at Fabspeed confirmed that they had built the over axle pipes and brackets to support the GT3 exhaust for the 987. Curiously, however, I do not yet see it listed on their site.

On the other hand, I have once again listened to the FVD sound edition exhaust and I'm smitten, https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-c...l#post17776726

I'm about to pull the trigger, but I don't yet know what I will do...
Old 03-14-2023, 03:01 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Zach

Detailed it myself? Unfortunately, I would have it no other way!

On the exhaust - I'm on the horns of a dilemma

Last Fall, John at Fabspeed confirmed that they had built the over axle pipes and brackets to support the GT3 exhaust for the 987. Curiously, however, I do not yet see it listed on their site.

On the other hand, I have once again listened to the FVD sound edition exhaust and I'm smitten, https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-c...l#post17776726

I'm about to pull the trigger, but I don't yet know what I will do...
The FVD video is with factory headers? Sounds great. I wonder how the headers on my car would change that up. Also, since my car has PSE, I want any aftermarket catback to retain that functionality.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:01 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
The FVD video is with factory headers? Sounds great. I wonder how the headers on my car would change that up. Also, since my car has PSE, I want any aftermarket catback to retain that functionality.
My understanding is that in the vid I shared the system is only the cat back FVD sound exhaust. No headers.

It's my understanding that any headers, with or without high flow cats, will make the car considerably louder. I do not have PSE and I have made the decision to not upgrade to any valved system.

Last edited by The Duke; 03-14-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:08 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that the vid I shared has the cat back exhaust exclusively.

It's my understanding that any headers, with or without high flow cats, will make the car considerably louder. I do not have PSE and I have made the decision to not upgrade to any valved system.
That's been my experience adding headers to the factory PSE. About 3x louder with the valves open than prior to the headers. And having the valves closed with headers is as loud as it previously was with the PSE open.

My current setup is magnificent and I'd be happy with it as is. I'm just interested in the GT3 muffler or any other catback primarily to see what kind of changes I can get in tone of the exhaust. More of a curiosity than feeling like something is currently missing.

I think I'll make another attempt encouraging Fabspeed to get that conversion released.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:37 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

That's been my experience adding headers to the factory PSE. About 3x louder with the valves open than prior to the headers. And having the valves closed with headers is as loud as it previously was with the PSE open.
Nice. I like PSE, it sounds good. But I’m not going to lie, I frequently look at the button to make sure the valves are really open because it’s still pretty quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by sectachrome:
RySjaXn (03-22-2023), scootr (03-24-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:26 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Nice. I like PSE, it sounds good. But I’m not going to lie, I frequently look at the button to make sure the valves are really open because it’s still pretty quiet.
Thanks for that "not lying" insight. I will admit to being a bit wary about the FVD sound edition because of the likelihood of some drone, but I do absolutely want to hear - and isn't this one of the reasons that we're here - the wail of the 3.4L flat six near redline!
Old 03-17-2023, 11:02 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Tho your experience may vary, a set of 200 cell cats with reputable mfr. headers is the bees knees regardless of cans used. (Fister or Carnewal internals), PSE or whatever.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:29 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Tho your experience may vary, a set of 200 cell cats with reputable mfr. headers is the bees knees regardless of cans used. (Fister or Carnewal internals), PSE or whatever.
Thanks. I had the same thought yesterday. To confirm - are you saying that there's more performance gains to be had by moving to headers and 200 cell cats and keeping my current OE exhaust than by doing it the other way around?

Almost as importantly - what about the sound?
Old 03-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I had the same thought yesterday. To confirm - are you saying that there's more performance gains to be had by moving to headers and 200 cell cats and keeping my current OE exhaust than by doing it the other way around?

Almost as importantly - what about the sound?
That's exactly what he should be saying. A catback exhaust does little to nothing for power improvement (the factory exhaust flows very well). Headers will do much for power improvement (about +25whp for catless headers; about +20whp for 200-cell "sport" headers). The only reason to change the catback IMO, is if a change in sound/tone is desired.

See my recent dyno I posted to other threads with the only change being catless headers.

Last edited by Zach L; 03-17-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:45 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

It finished at $47k, near the top of my $42-48k estimate (plus additional 5% BaT buyer's fee. About 18% decline.
I believe this exact car is the high-water mark for a non-R 987 Cayman. Sold on BaT in summer 2022 from original-owner with 13,000 miles for $55,000. Now 9 months later it has another 4,000 miles on it (from a PCA member from the looks of it). Will be interesting to see what it sells at. I'm guessing somewhere around $42-48k.

2009 Cayman S
6-speed manual
Lightweight Carbon Bucket Seats
LSD, PASM, Xenon,

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-s-22/

Just noticed the Certificate of Authenticity lists the wrong engine and transmission

Old 03-20-2023, 05:27 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Sound is pure joy. Pulls like a freight train (have Softronics tune and Sprint Booster just fyi) and revs like a sewing machine.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:45 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

It finished at $47k, near the top of my $42-48k estimate (plus additional 5% BaT buyer's fee. About 18% decline.
$47K seems about right.

Another 2009 CS with low miles (19K) sold on Cars & Bids last september for $48K. I bid on it to $44K but dropped out. It was located near me, and i met the seller and drove it. It's what made me fall in love with these cars.

Guards Red is sure pretty.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:38 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tiiger
$47K seems about right.

Another 2009 CS with low miles (19K) sold on Cars & Bids last september for $48K. I bid on it to $44K but dropped out. It was located near me, and i met the seller and drove it. It's what made me fall in love with these cars.

Guards Red is sure pretty.
This was a unique spec with the LWBs, I thought the price was low.

There was a RS60 special edition that sold for $60,000 a couple weeks back on BAT. Thats crazy IMO.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:41 AM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Sound is pure joy. Pulls like a freight train (have Softronics tune and Sprint Booster just fyi) and revs like a sewing machine.
Completely concur. I started out with the Carnewal rear section (via Cantrell) on my '09 Boxster 2.9 and that didn't quite do it so I went with the Carnewal 200 cell manifolds (via Gert in Belgium). It sounds glorious. I also have a Softronics tune and a Sprint Booster in addition to an OEM SSK. I was going for better sound and the noticeable extra power is just gravy.

Quick Reply: 987's for sale in the wild..