Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987's for sale in the wild..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 12:26 AM
rdcyclist
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, there's a 987.1 with a Vision rebuilt 3.8 M96 on the same site: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdA...sche-boxster-s

I thought hard about it but the mileage put me a little off even though it's got a new motor built by a reputable shop.

Last edited by rdcyclist; 12-18-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:53 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by rdcyclist
Alrighty! I just won this auction: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9WY...sche-boxster-s

We'll see if this is a case of be careful for what you wish for but it seems pretty like a decent deal. I've been looking for a 987.2 S for a while and missed on a couple of them in the last month. I'll post up an update in the forum when the car arrives and I actually get to drive it. In the meantime I'll start educating myself about the car. A buddy has a Cayman R and he's already got me started.
Congrats! Look forward to your report. Be safe.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:05 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by rdcyclist
Alrighty! I just won this auction: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9WY...sche-boxster-s

We'll see if this is a case of be careful for what you wish for but it seems pretty like a decent deal. I've been looking for a 987.2 S for a while and missed on a couple of them in the last month. I'll post up an update in the forum when the car arrives and I actually get to drive it. In the meantime I'll start educating myself about the car. A buddy has a Cayman R and he's already got me started.
From a cursory glance it seems the paint match on the front bumper is not very good or has aged differently than the metal body panel paint. One of the tail lights is clearly tinted while the other is not which is a bit strange. Also should look into new tires as well. Hopefully everything is all good under the metal. Should be good fun!
Old 12-18-2022, 11:01 PM
DonW
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9872SpeedYellowCS
Hey everyone,

My 2011 Speed Yellow Cayman S Manual is ending on BAT in just an hour at 1:20 Eastern.
Really gorgeous car. I was really staring at this one for quite a bit, but with fees and shipping, ended up a bit out of the ball-park. Still worth every penny!
Old 01-13-2023, 02:27 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Track car special
2011 Porsche Cayman 6-Speed Race Car for sale on BaT Auctions - ending January 19 (Lot #96,146) | Bring a Trailer
The following users liked this post:
scootr (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

That is too cool.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:23 AM
RySjaXn
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Price check?

Curious what people here think. If I need to make a separate post I can but figured this might be a good place to ask.

I’m looking at a highly optioned 987.1 Cayman S with <100k miles. Exterior seems to be in pretty good shape (7.5/10 paint), interior seems to be slightly worse (6.5/10), but engine was scoped and no bore scoring, clutch/flywheel/RMS was replaced ~40k miles ago, DME came back clean (14 ignitions in range 2), and Indy shop doing the PPI said they’d have no issue taking the car on a 2,000+ mile journey.

However, there are lots of little issues I feel go beyond what you’d expect on a <100k mile car that make me feel like the previous owner cheaped out:

- PASM error (seems one shock was replaced with Bilstein so not sure if that’s the cause or something else)
- radio doesn’t work (previous owner says he just connected his phone to listen to music)
- interior door handle is floppy
- door car seems loose/ill-fitting
- frunk switch and struts need replaced
- cruise control fault (stored but cleared)

Along with the usual wear items expected for a car this age/mileage (though water pump seemed in good shape and no leaks reported)

The dealer said they’d do $24.5k as is or $25.5 if they fixed the PASM error and the radio (I don’t really trust that they’d properly fix the PASM error though).

what do you guys think? I’m mechanically inclined and could fix a lot of those little things, but $24.5k just seems excessive for a car that seems to have been neglected aside from the major/critical things (strut, clutch, etc.). Last thing I’ll add, the car is a pretty rare spec, likely 1 of <5 considering the paint and interior color combinations, and it’s a great looking spec

Old 01-20-2023, 10:04 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by RySjaXn
Curious what people here think. If I need to make a separate post I can but figured this might be a good place to ask.

I’m looking at a highly optioned 987.1 Cayman S with <100k miles. Exterior seems to be in pretty good shape (7.5/10 paint), interior seems to be slightly worse (6.5/10), but engine was scoped and no bore scoring, clutch/flywheel/RMS was replaced ~40k miles ago, DME came back clean (14 ignitions in range 2), and Indy shop doing the PPI said they’d have no issue taking the car on a 2,000+ mile journey.

However, there are lots of little issues I feel go beyond what you’d expect on a <100k mile car that make me feel like the previous owner cheaped out:

- PASM error (seems one shock was replaced with Bilstein so not sure if that’s the cause or something else)
- radio doesn’t work (previous owner says he just connected his phone to listen to music)

Along with the usual wear items expected for a car this age/mileage (though water pump seemed in good shape and no leaks reported)

The dealer said they’d do $24.5k as is or $25.5 if they fixed the PASM error and the radio (I don’t really trust that they’d properly fix the PASM error though).

what do you guys think? I’m mechanically inclined and could fix a lot of those little things, but $24.5k just seems excessive for a car that seems to have been neglected aside from the major/critical things (strut, clutch, etc.). Last thing I’ll add, the car is a pretty rare spec, likely 1 of <5 considering the paint and interior color combinations, and it’s a great looking spec
What is the color combo?

I think there are more fish in the sea.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:28 AM
RySjaXn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
What is the color combo?

I think there are more fish in the sea.
I almost don’t want to say in case I tip my hand … but it’s one of the rarest Cayman colors out there with a non standard interior color and full leather.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:41 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts

I almost don’t want to say in case I tip my hand … but it’s one of the rarest Cayman colors out there with a non standard interior color and full leather.
I may ruffle some feathers here but this is a 987.1 that we are talking about, and one with higher mileage. It’s likely never going to be an investment car, even with a rare color combo. You’d better be over the moon with that color combo so that you can look past all of the cons. Just my $.02.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:08 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 94 Posts

If you want more informative answers, you need to provide more details. “Under 100k miles” could be 99k or 30k. That, along with the year, will provide more info in terms of the condition being reasonable.

Other than the PASM code, it mostly seems like general wear and tear. Door panels probably have most or all of the clips broken. Cheap and easy fix.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:52 PM
RySjaXn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vitaminC
If you want more informative answers, you need to provide more details. “Under 100k miles” could be 99k or 30k. That, along with the year, will provide more info in terms of the condition being reasonable.

Other than the PASM code, it mostly seems like general wear and tear. Door panels probably have most or all of the clips broken. Cheap and easy fix.
fair enough, 98k miles, 2006. The door issues seem odd to me for a car with less than 100k. It also stings knowing I helped my dad pick up his dream 987.1CS with 72k miles that’s in near perfect condition for $24k.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

fair enough, 98k miles, 2006. The door issues seem odd to me for a car with less than 100k. It also stings knowing I helped my dad pick up his dream 987.1CS with 72k miles that’s in near perfect condition for $24k.
Price might be a bit high, but that’s the current market. If it is okay mechanically and checks the boxes for what you’re looking for, then it really just depends on if it’s worth it to you. Last year I picked up a high mileage (114k miles) 05 BS which I probably would have ignored if not for the unusual color (Dark Olive Metallic). I’ve had to deal with minor issues like you describe, but overall the car has been great.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:50 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

Now I'm totally curious about what the "rarest Cayman colors" are!! lol
Anyone have a link to the color data? Or is it just a "known" thing?

I have a Speed Yellow car, and that's a color I don't see much. But I also don't see Green, or Burgundy.

And my thoughts (which are a broken record...lol) - I wouldn't touch a 987.1 S version. In my head, it's not a matter of "if"... but a matter of "when" the engine will have bore scoring..
Old 01-21-2023, 05:07 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kattman
Now I'm totally curious about what the "rarest Cayman colors" are!! lol
Anyone have a link to the color data? Or is it just a "known" thing?
https://www.rennbow.org/
The following users liked this post:
Kattman (01-21-2023)

Quick Reply: 987's for sale in the wild..