968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by oceanvue
So am I missing something or has anyone actually installed a SC and comeback on forum and given a detail summary of power and feel?? Seems like everytime somenone is about to install one they vanish of the face of the planet.
Search the thread.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i am getting much closer to my install of Carl's Supercharger (it will be later this summer or early fall...)

Raj will be doing the work. you can see my failed 968 Turbo S project here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...8-project.html
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Search the thread.

That's it huh? I was looking for somehting a little more comprehensive
Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's it huh? I was looking for somehting a little more comprehensive
I think I have reviewed it twice in this thread, not going to review it again just now. If you cannot bother to look for that info you must not want it very badly.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe somewhere around page 36 is where Joel answered. For Carl, are you doing installs for customers at your location? I am about 6 hours away so that is something I would consider so I know it was done right.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

For Carl, are you doing installs for customers at your location? I am about 6 hours away so that is something I would consider so I know it was done right.
Thank you, but no. We are not set up to work on customers cars. Our shop is set up for prototyping and design... we have mills, lathes, 3 welders, bandsaws and shapers, etc. All about making the parts we need. Room for 1 car only at a time to test-fit them to.

So that space for 1 car only is usually scheduled way out there... right now it is holding a Porsche 928 that is getting a Stage 3 kit developed on it. After that a Mercedes 450 SL comes in to have a supercharger kit designed for it. There is also a Porsche 928 being redied for an attempt at a Bonneville Land Speed record that is getting an engine. Busy-busy. Been working 6-day weeks for 5 months now.

However: I do have a very competent shop in Waukesha WI that could install your kit, just email me at carl@928motorsports.com

Here is a list of shops that install our kits: perhaps there is one near you:
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/superinstall.cfm
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

The car makes lots of power pretty low down. It really feels like a V8. It muscles around like my other cars (Audi A8 with 40v V8, 928S4) with the supercharger. The stock 968 I describe as quick, the SC 968 is *fast.* There might not be much improvement below 2K RPM but with the six speed you don't notice it as you are only below 2k for an eyeblink when leaving a light A tippy might feel it more? I don't know.

I have not put a boost gauge on yet for testing, been kinda busy with other stuff. I have run it with the intake tube off and this supercharger will blow your hat off at idle speed.

This car I am pretty sure has the stock pressure plate as the pedal pressure is quite light. It does not slip the clutch that I have seen and this car has S02's on it so the tires are not giving up first.
Personally if the clutch did slip I would get a plate made up with better friction material rather than use the 964 PP or whichever one it is that fits, that one can cause the firewall to crack. I suppose you could reinforce the firewall and use it though. I would not fret about the clutch until it slips.

-Joel.
Yes, I am back and had no problems with the SC kit over 1200 miles or so. My MPG was not real good but I am having an electrical fault with the MAF sometimes and I dealt with very cold weather, crosswinds and some poor driving conditions that affected that. Interestingly I found that slogging along at 60 led to worse MPG than 70-75mph cruising, the engine perhaps not in a sweet spot. I am usually in 5th at 60 in my other car (and not usually at 60 for very long) but in this case I was generally in 6th to limit torque due to road conditions, and hardly touching the throttle. MPG was not a concern at that time.

At normal highway cruise 70-80 mph, on 10% ethanol gas I got about 25mpg, which is fine but not as good as stock... but I have never done an MPG run in the winter before in a stock 968 cabrio and I know cold weather has affected my MPG in other cars. Plus the MAF issue might have made the car run fat sometimes if it defaults to a conservative fuel map. If I leaned anything, the MPG is not a lot worse if it is any worse on the supercharged car in highway mode. It could even be the same or better.

Otherwise nothing fell off on the drive, the belt looks fine, tracking is good, the annoying cold belt slip I get on my stock 968 is not evident here (due to the better belt wrap from the extra belt idler.)

The SC whistles a bit but sounds good in a jet engine kinda way. Sounds serious.
-Joel.
Oceanview, I think these are the reviews that Joel is talking about.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Oceanview: there are about 7 of these kits in various stages of installation at this moment. They should start popping out of garages in the next few weeks, owing only to the owners available time and skill.

But, not every one of these kits is a Rennlist memeber, so you will not see reports from each of them. 4 of these 7 are overseas (2 in France, 1 in Denmark, 1 in Norway)

Joel Frahm (above) has the first one, and he drove it home from our shop.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:21 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Thanks Carl. I'm interested to what the others have to say and thank you Joel for your attitude I hope it serves you better than it serves Carl as a spokesperson for his product
Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I think what's difficult here is you are actually watching a new supercharger kit develop and rollout before your eyes. Very rare.

Normally a company would develop, test, and pre-release a kit away from consumers eyes. You would just be advised after they decided to announce it, then you'd be asking "has anybody installed this and do they like it?"

In this case, I announced we were going to make the 968 SC kit, we made it, we tested it, announced the results (warts and all" as Abe Lincoln said), and now the first kits have shipped.

Full disclosure.

Early feedback has shown some cars have had a hunting idle... last week I sent an air flow straightener to everyone who has purchased a kit free of charge. When installed between the MAF and the supercharger, it will prevent the MAF from getting eratic air flow from impeller washback and the idle smooths out.

Early feedback on the Stage 2 kits have included some concern over slipping belts. We now take the extra steps to knurl our drive pulleys and the belt slippage has stopped. It took a little while to test as we wanted to run a car for some time and make sure that the knurling would not eat the belt. It didn't.

These are examples of things you discover after the kit is rolled out. I have engineered a number of kits
( http://www.928superchargers.com ) and I expect this sort of thing. The design isn't "finished" when you start shipping product - it just has enterred a new phase. The consumers experience with the product can/will color design changes after that.

On some of these things (like the slipping belt, found only on some Stage 2 kits, where the pulley is smaller and therefor has less tractive force) it takes time to test the correction to be sure you have actually had the desired result.

In this case, you are watching all these things happen in realtime.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

and thank you Joel for your attitude I hope it serves you better than it serves Carl as a spokesperson for his product
Sorry, I should have observed that since you had not found the information you were looking for *despite it being posted in the very thread in which you were also posting* you were not likely to find it on your own.

I should have realized this and gotten to work spoonfeeding you right away.

Understanding your limitations I'll be quicker to help you next time.
-Joel.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Carl your spokesmodel is acting up again.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Boy's......... let Carl speak.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has gotten off track a few times and I commend Carl for always explaining things in very clear, honest, and real terms.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys,
waiting delivery of 968 cab, im seriously considering the sc kit...i'm a little confused, the website says that there is no need to change the chip. how do you increase the fuel without changing fuel pressure or remapping ecu? same with the stage 2 kit, just changing the fuel injectors is enough to increase fuel?

is the tiptronic tranny strong enought to cope with the power of both kits?

thanks

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development