Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 968 project... LS3, 190 mph top end....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default my 968 project... LS3, 190 mph top end....

__

one of the most difficult parts to source is the correct transmission for high top end at 300+ horsepower... Porsche sold the last 968 Turbo S transmission for the street (with the 145 mph 5th and 180 mph 6th gears) a few years ago.... unfortunately, for a 500 hp chevy motor, even that transmission would be a bit short on gear at the top end...

anyway, last year i sourced a spare transmission with low miles...

i had been researching for some time how to set a 968 transmission set up for more top end without breaking the bank.... after a good deal of investigation, a few of us had been led to the assumption that the the Audi 01e 5th and 6th gearsets out of the north American Audi A4s and S4s were interchangable with the 968. but, after consulting with Audi and Porsche transmission experts (Scott Dewitt / Advanced Automotion / Corpus Christi, TX, and Roger at California Motorsports), i learned that what we need are 5th or 6th gearset options out of the Euro 2wd A4 diesel transmission... but, because the 2wd 01E never came to USA or Canada so you can't source these gears through audi's North American parts distribution network. so, the .680 6th gears found in many of the Audi A4 and S4 gearboxes here in the states are the 4WD variety, and will not fit any of the Audi 2WD 01E's, and therefore not fit the 968 box either.... the 2WD box and 4WD gearbox share the same input shafts, 1-2 gears, diff carrier, diff case, and center housing, and their rebuild kits are about 90% compatable... however most everything else on up the line is different.

for 5th gear, we're stuck with either having to run the stock 5th .912 or have an .810, or .882 (the 968 Turbo S 5th) gearset made (big $$$$) or gear simply sourcing a .729 5th gear from the (Audi euro A4 diesel 01e box)/euro parts warehouse.... the .729 drops the rpm down lower than would be ideal for maximum acceleration after coming out of the low, stock 4th gear, but the payoff is nice once at the other end....

with the .729 5th, i'll you can run to 160 mph @ (6,000 rpm w/ the 25.6 inch tire) before shifting to 6th...... the .600 6th gear will then take the car to 190 @ 5880 rpm, 195 mph @ 6,035 rpm.... and 200 mph @ 6189 rpm (could be possible w/ more head work and NO2).

sources:

Scott, at Advanced Automotion, Corpus Christi, TX has a vast knowledge all the Audi 01e, and 968 boxes.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/

Roger at California Motorsports, Lake Havasu, AZ
http://www.californiamotorsports.net/

rebuild kits.... JH Motorsports, California....

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/home.php

Jerry Janzing, All Pro Cars (the GT40 people like the Audi A4 diesel, 944, and 968 transmission);

http://www.allprocars.com/web/

Scott Dewitt from Advanced Automotion also posts on this forum...

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...e-6-speed.html

Originally Posted by JDS968
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to drive a car that's so new, everything actually works.

Is...is it even fun? I have no idea, I can't even divorce the concepts of "exhilarating driving experience" and "**** doesn't work" anymore...

including the purchase, 3 years driving the car 80 k miles, upgrades, cosmetic updates, and maintenance done in the hearafter, i am gradually making headway with the project. overall, i am incredibly happy with this car !

Original post (updated)

i know how much work you all put into your cars and i admire the stuff you all post, and the work you do, and advice you all give.... i purchased an '87 944 S in 1989 and had it four wonderful years before i blew it up on I-10 a few miles west of Fredricksberg, TX on 31 Oct, 1994.... After that i had a 1989 928S4 and basically went broke with that car.

late in 2007 i got this 968 with 77 k miles. spent 13 grand getting it, as it was still before the big recession hit, and prices came down... but, that's ok. the previous owner had put a ton of effort into keeping the car right and as far as i am concerned, i've really got my money's worth 80 k miles later... i have put some money into this car. at the beginning i had this belief that i'd be runing a turbocharger easily, (after picking up the right spare parts, new turbo etc), and just a few thousand dollars later, i'd be sitting on a serious horsepower upgrade.

not.

anyway, after joining rennlist and doing more research, i came to the understanding that driving a 968 with a turbo simply was possible short of spending about 25~30 K ++ dollars for what would end up being a very high-strung engine/risky endeavor.... or i could just drop in on of Carl Fausett's superchargers as a nice performance upgrade....

however, over the ensuing months i decided i wanted a transmission that matched any performance upgrades, and since i was really looking for an outrageous outcome—sooner, i decided to start sourcing the parts that could take the car to 190 mph and beyond.... i also learned that in this context, i could take advantage of Massachusetts' easier emissions rules (no emissions tests after 15 years), and just run a big V8 with no worries.

the next thing was to make a list of the stuff i wanted to do on my car.... i realize it's just another in a long line of good front engine cars that people have and love so much here in this obscure corner of Rennlist. i hope you all like this one too... in the next post, i'll get into detail about the project. but here, i'll start with some pics that show some of the progress.

/
Attached Images            

Last edited by odurandina; 03-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

here come the stereo pics some of the guys were asking me about...

on the passenger side of the seat delete we installed a deck by adding a flat board molded to the shape of the seat.

to level off the surface for the amp to rest on, now FLAT... on the other side behind the driver's seat are two CASE logic bags...

a perfect fit. and you can fit a ton of stuff in there including a complete kit for washing the car -

as i was able to do right on the strip on south beach a couple of weeks ago (april)...

Attached Images         

Last edited by odurandina; 08-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbo S??
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

there's a bit of a story on that... when i got the car i thought i'd be such a big shot and just turbocharge it...

"yeah right..." but i'll get into that later. getting stereo pics up in a moment.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep it coming, curious about your supercharger solution.....
Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
here come the stereo pics some of the guys were asking me about...

What about the Rockford amps and subwoofers? That is the stuff I'M talkin 'bout
Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a bit of a story on that... when i got the car i thought i'd be such a big shot and just turbocharge it...

"yeah right..." but i'll get into that later. getting stereo pics up in a moment.
Do you have a boost gauge on your a-pillar hooked up to vacuum too?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the solution to the turbo S badge dilemma is to rip it off and put "968 GT."

stating the obvious, as i discovered, the dilemma is not setting up the car to the Turbo S suspension and brakes...

it's the 35 thousand dollar engine, transmission and boost guages context...

when i called the Powerhaus people, i received the bad news... and then i had a chance to see Raj's REAL Turbo S car, and drove away from his home in shame ! naturally it's serious disrespect to anyone who has done the REAL WORK to be having these badges on my car... the only workable solution for me is to install the monster V8....

it is late but i will put the list of stuff i have done already... also, i need a fresh light or dark grey carpet for the back, as it makes less heat in the summer.

od

Last edited by odurandina; 11-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Far from monster D blocks.....

But, that is a pretty cool looking enclosure. Is it bottom opened to take advantage of the rearwheel well airspace? Or is it completely enclosed? Where did you get it from?

TIA
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

I sure as hell wanted it to be... but the installer had other plans.

his solution ? a special rockford sub disigned for high performance cars with limited space.

the result is the same. the sound pressure levels are amazing.

the amp on the floor is a 4X150 running the larger speakers now installed in the doors, and behind the doors and also the tweeters. it plays godawful loud... the door speakers have no midbass running through them... they are crossed over at 240 HZ. the big midbass drivers behind the seats are crossed over at 80 Hz.

the subwoofer driver is a Rockford Fosgate P3D410 P3 10" deep mount tranducer w/ duel voice coils (not the popular, shallow unit) the product is designed to work with very small enclosures... it's not the correct transducer for use with a larger standard box that you put in the back of your Nissan Pathfinder

FEATURES:

•10" subwoofer with dual 4ohm voice coils
•fiber cone reinforced with Kevlar with polyetherester surround
•"Venturi effect" design for maximum cooling of motor structure
•power range: 50-400 watts RMS (200 watts per voice coil)
•peak power handling: 800 watts
•frequency response: 29-250 Hz
•sensitivity: 83 dB
•top-mount depth: 6-1/4"
•sealed box volume: 0.5-0.75 cubic feet -- [yeah !! i couldn't believe this part either - but there it is !!].

i asked Rick the installer, what the deal was and he said. "we're at the correct enclosure size for this woofer design."

he used packaging popcorn to measure the enclosure. the sealed box we used is .72 cubic feet when after installing the transducer.

sub amp is a P500-1BD - Rockford Fosgate Punch 1 Ch. 500 watt monoblock.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7589/P500...-Amplifier.htm

the thing that really matters to me is the sound. i have heard more bass before in a subwoofer system but this is all the space i was willing to give up to have bass. and the bass i'm getting is all the bass this car needs in my opinion. i can't turn the system up to the limit where i begin to hear distortion before my eardrums feel like they will explode. the door speakers and midbass drivers behind the doors get very loud.

the sub has the deep rich bass i was looking for. competition level SPL ? no. but, overall, the system sounds really good.

Attached Images     

Last edited by odurandina; 08-18-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you just put 968 in place of the poser Turbo S...?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

it will be even more of a fun poser after the supercharger goes on. and maybe run no badges at all.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be even more of a fun poser after the supercharger goes on. and maybe run no badges at all.
No more V8 swap? Shows where I have been. How about rotary V8 supercharged? Then you could put a Type R badge on it.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the engine is so strong. but, when it's cooked it will be V8 time.

i just had most of the engine work pre-supercharger done by one of the guys you all know, and who's cars you love.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

interior and exterior looks great. Love the wheels

Quick Reply: my 968 project... LS3, 190 mph top end....