Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Car looks like great. Wish I could go for a ride. Never been in a lighter weight 964.

Last edited by RicardoD; 05-24-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

been meaning to do this for a while. Salvaged a wire harness off a trashed rear lens and cut open the fog holes and wired in for extra brake lights. Was able to use the 3rd position on the existing plug by pulling pins off old plug and spliced ground, so it will,wire like oem. one plug and no janky jumper wires. Nice and clean. Cut the 3rd wire in the harness Near tail light and jumped the fog wire to the right brake light. I run all leds so amp draw is very low. I don’t like to cut wires but those little alligator splices i feel are worse than a heat shrunk crimp connector done with a proper tool.

Splicing Info: if you can get a salvaged wire harness from a rear center, you can take apart the plug and leverage one of the pins, then wire it all up and use the 3rd pin for the brakes. You'll need splice in the grounds. This keeps you from having to run a new wire, just use what is there. From the passenger side tail light harnesses: follow the center light harness cut a small slit open the center sheathing about 12" from the plug, find the green/red wire - this is the one that goes to the 3rd pin and is for the rear fogs - cut it, heat shrink the cut end going to the car, tape up the small slice (I use friction tape). Pull the wire forward a few inches. Slice again. Pull wire out of that hole and even up the wire length. On the harness for the right light, find the black/red wire. This is the brake wire. Splice the green/red into the black/red. I cut mine :-) Using weatherproof head shrink butt connectors. Tape it up with good (I use Super 33 3m) tape and friction tape. If you were to look at how I did it w/o another to compare it looks factory. 3M makes a nice fiber friction tape to seal this stuff up.

ok this was also an excuse to use my new Milwaukee m12 rotary tool... like that thing way better than my old dremel.

also, a few years ago i bought a ccu fan off eBay from a Mercedes or jaguar or something. Finally tested it out it spins fast and quiet. The fan and drive unit are same as Porsche i do need to swap the top housing for the one in the car. That fan works... most of the time. Will also swap the ac button when i have the ccu out. Shoulda done that when i replaced the defrost/recirculate a while back

P.S. from drive yesterday, apologize to the m2 driver who couldn’t shake me, thanks for point by on little tuhuanga!

P.P.S. Thank you to my patient wife for helping me test it worked right. And no, the turn signal is NOT the wiper stalk !?!?! And the brake is in the center!!!!

Last edited by Spyerx; 05-25-2020 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RicardoD (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 11:50 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice work! Have been thinking about the rear light mod too. I had a old timer stop me one time because he thought my brake lights were out. Have since switched to LED which are brighter but some additional lights would not hurt imo. Safety first.

re: the CCU fan, lots will work but if you use one from an Audi A8 it’s a direct replacement in the same orientation as the original and you don’t need to transfer the top cover from your original fan.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Nice work! Have been thinking about the rear light mod too. I had a old timer stop me one time because he thought my brake lights were out. Have since switched to LED which are brighter but some additional lights would not hurt imo. Safety first.

re: the CCU fan, lots will work but if you use one from an Audi A8 it’s a direct replacement in the same orientation as the original and you don’t need to transfer the top cover from your original fan.
Interesting. Good to know. Pretty sure fan i have i must have got it 4 years ago is from a Jaguar xj8. It was cheap. 20$ maybe....
Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...aning-diy.html

I did this CCU fan repair on my C2 tip. Can’t remember all the details but the A8 drop in is a good tip. I recall the housing transfer work.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Got mine on eBay, same price couldn’t have been more than $20 bucks. If someone has trouble and needs a part number lmk. I can dig it up.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

You are all set then. Have fun with the fan-ectomy
Old 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I'll add that rear fog mod to the long list of projects.

What LEDs are ya'll using for brake lights?
Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...aning-diy.html

I did this CCU fan repair on my C2 tip. Can’t remember all the details but the A8 drop in is a good tip. I recall the housing transfer work.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful. So somehow like 4 years ago I found this its from a W163 Mercedes, 173000-0841 part number. Who knows how I found it, it may have been that thread. LOL.

Anyway, I'll have to do the air housing surgery, and splice up the wires... not a big deal.

Does anyone know the value of the thermistor or the ranges?

divergent... several years ago... I bought a few different ones to replace on my former 89 carrera - they have one in the exhaust heat valve/flapper (and cabin) for cars with auto heat. Exhaust ones fail, often. Basically, on cars with auto heat: when you turn on the heat, it measures the inside temp and exhaust temps, when the exhaust is 'cold' it opens the valves more. I ended up just jumping the resistor as you have to drill out and rivet the damn thing in the flapper box to get to it. When jumping the resistor the auto heat behaves like a warmed up car. I figure, i can always turn the valve more LOL. When it burns out it goes to 'open' , and that is 'cold' and when you turn on the heat it goes full hot, always, doesn't vary the valve. That sucked in SoCal when you just wanted a little heat ... anyway!

I could test the thermistor and replace it... since i'm going to have the thing open anyway to replace the AC button.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
I'll add that rear fog mod to the long list of projects.

What LEDs are ya'll using for brake lights?
Tore at bergvilleFX sells a complete 964 led conversion kit...

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...it-us-red.html

He might even sell a fog/brake conversion kit. I have his products on my 964 and 993s. They are excellent.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

The thermistor in the exhaust heat valve/flapper This is new to me and very interesting. Learning all the time. Where is the exhaust heat valve flapper?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
The thermistor in the exhaust heat valve/flapper This is new to me and very interesting. Learning all the time. Where is the exhaust heat valve flapper?
sorry on 89 g series w auto heat not 964 :-)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

That insulating wrap on the muffler is really trick. What is it?

I've been kicking around the idea of 993 heat exchangers (love a nice crisp day on the Hakusan white road) with some light weight later model muffler - must be dual side exit.

Pete
Old 05-29-2020, 10:40 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice work. I discovered that I have a euro center panel, so I plan on rewiring the fogs to be stop lights.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
P.P.S. Thank you to my patient wife for helping me test it worked right. And no, the turn signal is NOT the wiper stalk !?!?! And the brake is in the center!!!!
LOL, our wives must be related. I recently had to push the 964 while waiting for the tow truck, I told my wife that the car was in neutral and all she had to do was follow my directions to steer and brake. She replied "which one is the brake? You have 3 pedals!"
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
That insulating wrap on the muffler is really trick. What is it?
I've been kicking around the idea of 993 heat exchangers (love a nice crisp day on the Hakusan white road) with some light weight later model muffler - must be dual side exit.
Pete
It is super trick. Its Inconel heat wrap. Its commonly used in turbo applications and headers. The wrap is very light, very thin, and has a sheet, air gap, and more sheet. Trying to keep heat off the rear of the car.

Do a quick google search and you'll see more applications.

Originally Posted by LPMM
Nice work. I discovered that I have a euro center panel, so I plan on rewiring the fogs to be stop lights.
LOL, our wives must be related. I recently had to push the 964 while waiting for the tow truck, I told my wife that the car was in neutral and all she had to do was follow my directions to steer and brake. She replied "which one is the brake? You have 3 pedals!"
The tragedy is mine learned to drive while she was living in Dusseldorf, in a BMW 5 series manual.... when i first got my 71 the starter started getting heat issues (ie wouldn't engage when it was hot from engine running), and we got stranded about 40 miles from home after dinner... I was able to push the car out, and well, it nearly rolled down a hill while she tried to find the brake LOL. Luckily that hill was there as I was able to bump start it.

But, she's very patient, and rides along despite the car being, well, LOUD.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread