Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:51 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Its a pretty complete build man, the same direction I would go if finances were more friendly.

And I may say this a lot, but dang, Prokect McNasty is just on point appearance/stance wise. Especially considering its all functional.
So right on both accounts.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
New engine pad, Appbiz - Needed?
I pulled my out over 5 years ago, and my kids ride in the back weekly...

If you do put a pad in, make sure to use the "911 pad keeper"
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ad-keeper.html
Old 02-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good progress. I'll be interested to hear how the car feels at 10/10ths. I'm particularly keen to know how it compares dynamically to your GT3.

Have fun!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I pulled my out over 5 years ago, and my kids ride in the back weekly...
My engine pad is pretty fresh, I may pull it out and put one on the inside of the cabin. Need to think about this one.

Originally Posted by Rancie
Good progress. I'll be interested to hear how the car feels at 10/10ths. I'm particularly keen to know how it compares dynamically to your GT3.
Have fun!
Friday I will get a chance to wring it out a bit, but probably not at 10/10ths. hell I can't even drive my RS at 10/10ths (well it feels it for me!!!!)

But I do look forward to really pushing on the car and feeling the grip, turn in, braking, corner stability, traction on exit, etc. Power not so concerned with, but the way the car feels in the corner and transitions is what I want to explore.

The track I'll be at will be nice for this, it's shorter, pretty tight and technical. Warrants momentum and corner speed over raw horsepower. I haven't been there for a long time so I expect I may be able to beat my RS personal best... in my little red car :-) We shall see.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The circuit sounds ideally suited to the 964. Forgive me for asking - as the info is no doubt already somewhere in this thread - but what diff set up do you currenly have?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Factory option 220 LSD Limited Slip Differential with 40% lock

It feels like it is working ok. Will find out this weekend under threshold braking and corner exit! It'll get a proper guard unit at some point.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:35 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I follow your build on Instagram and got a good laugh at your hashtag #iwantanrsbuttoomuchwallet ...because at the rate you're going, you'll probably end up spending RS money when the car is all done LOL ...love it tho!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

My engine pad is pretty fresh, I may pull it out and put one on the inside of the cabin. Need to think about this one.
Don't forget the engine pad has a dual purpose both sound and heat. I added the applbitz aluminized pad in my track car and added some insulation along the back wall to keep the heat down in the cab on those hot summer tack days.

Factory option 220 LSD Limited Slip Differential with 40% lock

It feels like it is working ok. Will find out this weekend under threshold braking and corner exit! It'll get a proper guard unit at some point.
That won't last long I burnt through my factory LSD in a few thousand track miles. These are designed for street use and you will be revisiting this again soon enough.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I follow your build on Instagram and got a good laugh at your hashtag #iwantanrsbuttoomuchwallet ...because at the rate you're going, you'll probably end up spending RS money when the car is all done LOL ...love it tho!
RS 3.6 would be 3x, 3.8 way more than that.... !!!! plus getting in US could be tricky. although there are a few floating around here....

Originally Posted by cobalt
Don't forget the engine pad has a dual purpose both sound and heat. I added the applbitz aluminized pad in my track car and added some insulation along the back wall to keep the heat down in the cab on those hot summer tack days.

That won't last long I burnt through my factory LSD in a few thousand track miles. These are designed for street use and you will be revisiting this again soon enough.
I expect the factory LSD will not be long for this world. The one in my GT3 lasted all of like 4 track days, the GT Pro unit that replaced it is going strong after many, many days.

Is this the pad you have?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Upda...item35c05ebc8b

I have their "deluxe" pad on my 89 and it's nice, looks good. My 964 looks like the pad is newer (maybe done with engine) but it doesn't look as nicely installed as the one on my 89.

Also, when I bought a bunch of stuff from Appbiz, he gave me an INSIDE sound pad which is similar in material but attaches to the inside cabin on the firewall. He said try it out, not so much for sound/heat but for allowing the carpet to flow nicer on the rear deck. I have this piece in the garage, just need to see if I use it.

Thoughts on that?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

RS 3.6 would be 3x, 3.8 way more than that.... !!!! plus getting in US could be tricky. although there are a few floating around here....

I expect the factory LSD will not be long for this world. The one in my GT3 lasted all of like 4 track days, the GT Pro unit that replaced it is going strong after many, many days.

Is this the pad you have?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Upda...item35c05ebc8b

I have their "deluxe" pad on my 89 and it's nice, looks good. My 964 looks like the pad is newer (maybe done with engine) but it doesn't look as nicely installed as the one on my 89.

Also, when I bought a bunch of stuff from Appbiz, he gave me an INSIDE sound pad which is similar in material but attaches to the inside cabin on the firewall. He said try it out, not so much for sound/heat but for allowing the carpet to flow nicer on the rear deck. I have this piece in the garage, just need to see if I use it.

Thoughts on that?
Yes same pad. Nice piece if you don't mind the non factory look. I had to shorten my studs so i could affix the fasteners along with contact adhesive.

I also did the interior to make the carpet flow better. I added an aluminized (face down) automotive padding to smooth out the sides, seats and backs. It added a little under 7 pounds for the two but made the carpet look much better. I can't believe it has been over a year since i did this. Car has more power than it needs anyhow.

PS: I get a lot of compliments from the local shops saying how nice the interior looks. They seemed to think that it looks much smoother than what they are used to seeing
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on the Appbiz track pad. Really brightens up things too
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ok cool yeah your interior does look nice. Carpet lays well
Old 02-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Spent the day at the track yesterday. Track is streets of willow. I've only driven here 2x prior, and was almost 2 years ago. Track is short and technical, not much speed, and sketchy run off so I was NOT pushing it too hard!!!

So, how is the car? Fking sweet. The brakes are insane. The grip is WAY more than I thought. The turn in... there is no push, it just goes where you want. I didn't get really close to exploring the limits of the rear grip (yet) and there is just a ton of it. The car on my data system is doing similar corner grip to my GT3RS. of course power is WAY down. But feel wise, it's not that different. There is definitely a more rearward bias to the weight, you can feel the engine back there, but overall, very similar. On tire pressures, i found using similar pressures that I run hot on my GT3 worked fine. Thats about 32/34 hot front/rear. Tire wear looked good too.

There were pro drivers there (was a test day for CJ Wilson racing, huge shout out to CJ for the invite!!!! Thank you!!!) and they said the car looked super tidy on track - everyone loved the 964 - took someone for a ride and they were really impressed with the grip and feel of the car.

What will I change: for track days I'd probably go 1-2 clicks stiffer on compression and rebound, and maybe rear bar (need to talk to Joey). But overall balance was really good. For more dedicated track i would up the spring rates, but they were really good as it sits. Oh and oil cooler. It was mid 70s and after 15 mins the oil temp was about a needle width under the second bar (10 o'clock) it never went higher but a secondary cooler is now on the list. I run in hotter temps so it's going to be needed I think.

Super pleased!!!

OH: Ignore the horn beeps!!! LOL!!! In hard left hand corners the horn ring is somehow contacting something to beep the horn, but only lefts! need to adjust something there... hahaha But it only happens when car is being pushed hard, so maybe it's telling me "OK! thats good.... no more!"

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-13-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

So much awesome here.

Now I know why everyone told me to skip willows...
Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So much awesome here.

Now I know why everyone told me to skip willows...
You're partially to blame for this adventure you know... "the 964 is just like a slower GT3 when setup"if I remember the quote... yeah you're pretty much right.

On alignment... pulled the wheels off the car yesterday, I am getting just a tick of rubbing in the front under high compression turning (didn't year or feel anything, and the tires are not marked) but the fender liners are getting worn down! Will need to dial caster back just a tick more. The rear near the oil line did kiss it a few times, a bit of paint wear but no noticeable marks on the tire. We'll need to flatten that just a bit. No marks on the control arms or other areas in the rear.

Shifting - cannot wait to get the rothsport setup in the car. The stock shifter just feels a bit 'balky' and long compared to my RS (amazing shifting). I have all new bushings to go in along with it. I also found the gearing a bit long in 2-3 on this track, would be nice to be a little shorter. Will tackle that after i drive the car on my regular tracks (button willow, chuckwalla, thunder hill, etc... ) and get an impression of shifting there.

Power - surprised actually, but the car moves well. About 5k it really pulls hard (is that when the resonance chamber opens?) feels like vtec in a honda lol. Anyway, you do need to keep the revs up but the car pulls nicely. I would definitely tackle gearing before power. I am interested when it will feel like with a couple hundred pounds out of it and a much freer exhaust (both coming soon).

I did run into an issue during the first run session. I noticed throttle off decel didn't seem what it should be and coming off track the throttle was stuck at about 3k RPM, coasted off track and popped the engine bay to find the cruise control cable binding. I was able to tighten it up to stop the issue but just ended up pulling the cable off and zip tying out of the way.

Anyway, I'd planed to remove the cruise control mechanism and parts from the car soon. It is working intermittent and I will never use it. And don't want to troubleshoot it.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread