Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Pad Keeper

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Viking644
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb The Pad Keeper

I recently purchased a very nice 1988 Carrera 3.2 coupe. Overall, the vehicle is in excellent condition inside and out. The one area that was sad was the sound pad between the back seats and the engine compartment.

A friend of mine who owns a 993 told me about a product from David Etter (Littleton, CO) called "The Pad Keeper" or the "911 Pad Keeper." I looked at my friend's car's before and after pictures and the difference was great so I ordered one for my baby. The price is $166.55 (depending upon shipping costs). Before you balk at it, remember, this is for your Porsche 911, not some clunker.

Mr. Etter replied to my purchase order immediately and shipped my order the same day. I received the product in 2 days and upon starting to install it, I had a question about the AC hose clearance.

Mr. Etter called me personally and talked me through my questions. In 30 minutes, my Pad Keeper was installed. Now to say I'm mechanically challenged is an understatement. I spend my days in front of a computer and I hardly own any tools. The Pad Keeper really is easy to install.

As for the quality and results, look at my before and after pictures and you be the judge.

Before

Before

Before

Before

Before

The Pad Keeper

Underside of The Pad Keeper

Installation Instructions

If you have AC, you need to unbolt the left AC line and close the engine lid about 3-4" to allow The Pad Keeper to slide past the AC line.

Partial Installation

Lining up tabs

Finished!

Low angle view

Clean lines and no sagging pad.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Interesting idea, looks clean, easy install.

This wouldn't have worked on mine as the pad was badly falling apart in the back area and dropping all over the engine.

I had my shop install a new pad with engine in the car, they did drop it a bit via the rear engine mounts.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a bad solution. You do have a very clean engine...that alone would have motivated me to simply replace the sound pad.

If you decide to go back in and install a sound pad that is actually doing it's job, call my buddy Bob, owner of Appbiz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2308267...chn=ps&lpid=82
Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM
wydbdy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Not a bad solution. You do have a very clean engine...that alone would have motivated me to simply replace the sound pad.

If you decide to go back in and install a sound pad that is actually doing it's job, call my buddy Bob, owner of Appbiz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2308267...chn=ps&lpid=82
The Appbiz "Ultimate" Sound Pad is the best out there...!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

God, I just put a new one in... I didn't even think to search for an improved version.

/facepalm.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:49 PM
wydbdy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jherriott
God, I just put a new one in... I didn't even think to search for an improved version.

/facepalm.
Jason, "The Pad Keeper" is NOT a New Foam Pad.... It's a product that lifts and covers the existing sound Pad back into position. Not a Bad idea to install right over a New foam Pad which will start to come apart again anyway....
Old 09-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wydbdy
Jason, "The Pad Keeper" is NOT a New Foam Pad.... It's a product that lifts and covers the existing sound Pad back into position. Not a Bad idea to install right over a New foam Pad which will start to come apart again anyway....
I might just do that, thx! But I should have got the Appbiz soundpad first
Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jherriott
I might just do that, thx! But I should have got the Appbiz soundpad first
Ya, love Appbiz. They made a "one off" RS carpet kit for my cab that showed up at my house just a couple days later. When I ordered RSR door cards I picked them up at their shop and was loaded down with all kinds of extras like a gas filler flap and various other small detail items you'd never think to ask for.

Quick Reply: The Pad Keeper