Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 05:10 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I have been advised that the Rennline mount magnet is no match for our road trips so I’m looking at modifying a Baseus mount to fit in the central air vent.
I have a Rennline mount and it is well built, except for the magnet; a hard bump seems to drop the phone. What bothers me is having to remove the plate when I get home to use my charging pad. The other day I stumbled on this thread and thought it was smart.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...one-mount.html

Maybe that Baseus mount would attach to the Rennline unit for the best of both!

The following users liked this post:
John McM (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubipa
I have a Rennline mount and it is well built, except for the magnet; a hard bump seems to drop the phone. What bothers me is having to remove the plate when I get home to use my charging pad. The other day I stumbled on this thread and thought it was smart.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...one-mount.html

Maybe that Baseus mount would attach to the Rennline unit for the best of both!
I was looking at the Baseus unit and noted that the phone could still jump out of the cradle and the neck is a potential weak point. I need to get it out on the road. As for the iPhone12 mount, thanks for the pointer. At some stage I will upgrade.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

New foam around the area that connects with the ducting. If you have a dash rattle, the perished foam in this area could be the reason
The following 2 users liked this post by John McM:
964Luftballoon (12-17-2021), kos11-12 (10-17-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Vent reinserted. Now to take it for a drive and see how it performs. I think the concept is in the right direction as the placing is perfect. However I can already see where it could be improved.

Deserion (06-02-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:10 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi John, I have recently seen a good design for a phone holder. It is made of carbon and clips on to the knee roll, but it is located lower than your design, on the dash. I know why you need it up higher, so as not to have to look down when driving. I will send some pics to let you have a look. It’s been 3D printed. Not too cheap, but because of the design, grips tighter when the phone is inserted. Brian.

Last edited by bw-porsche; 06-03-2021 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Addition of photos
John McM (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:18 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Another photo of side view.

Simple design!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Hi John, I have recently seen a good design for a phone holder. It is made of carbon and clips on to the knee roll, but it is located lower than your design, on the dash. I know why you need it up higher, so as not to have to look down when driving. I will send some pics to let you have a look. It’s been 3D printed. Not too cheap, but because of the design, grips tighter when the phone is inserted. Brian.

love the concept. Is it a Shapeways print?
Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

I don’t know anything about the printing process itself, as it was highlighted by Justin Spangler on a Facebook page called appropriately Porsche 964 Club! If yours doesn’t do the trick I could get one from him and post on to you. He only lives about 40 miles from me you see. Let me know in time if you want one.
Spokes (06-03-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:21 AM
964NZ
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi John,
I know it is taking you way back in time, but how did you find the Tarrett spring plates in real world conditions? I'm in the process of dropping my C4 engine and transmission ('cos what else do you do during lockdown?). The rear trailing arm and spring plate bushes are flogged out so I'm looking at replacing the spring arms at least whilst the engine is out . ERP/Tarrett 965 vs Elephant bush replacements seem to be the choices thus far.

Have you any advice there?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964NZ
Hi John,
I know it is taking you way back in time, but how did you find the Tarrett spring plates in real world conditions? I'm in the process of dropping my C4 engine and transmission ('cos what else do you do during lockdown?). The rear trailing arm and spring plate bushes are flogged out so I'm looking at replacing the spring arms at least whilst the engine is out . ERP/Tarrett 965 vs Elephant bush replacements seem to be the choices thus far.

Have you any advice there?
Hi, what’s the engine drop for? Re the spring plates, I agree with Goughary that many are replaced because the outer seal edge deteriorates and people assume the inner is stuffed when it actually isn’t. Honestly, I can’t feel any difference with the Tarrett spring plates. If I had my time over I would have checked if mine actually needed replacing. I kept my old ones in my stash and think I may have another set off a C2 with 135,000km. Those may be an option. Sing out if you need help. I suspect we have more weeks of lockdown

Last edited by John McM; 09-08-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:43 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Hi, what’s the engine drop for? Re the spring plates, I agree with Goughary that many are replaced because the outer seal edge deteriorates and people assume the inner is stuffed when it actually isn’t. Honestly, I can’t feel any difference with the Tarrett spring plates. If I had my time over I would have checked if mine actually needed replacing. I kept my old ones in my stash and think I may have another set off a C2 with 135,000km. Those may be an option. Sing out if you need help. I suspect we have more weeks of lockdown
As John said. I swapped mine out too for Tarrett spring plates. The originals did look like they were shot, and they are now in my stash. Did I notice any difference? Nothing I could actually tell. The adjustments on the Tarrett plates to setup the wheel alignment are nice.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:35 PM
964NZ
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, and good to hear. It’s so easy to go down the rabbit hole into shiny parts and really difficult to find out how people actually got on. Thanks for the offer of assistance, I’ll probably take you up on that John. I’ll start another thread rather than hijack yours.

Why the engine drop? OCD really. I’ve been quietly running down a similar path to your epic light refurb journey. My C4 is fairly low mileage, but haemorrhaging oil from every seal in the drive train (so the torque tube has to come out) and I wanted an excuse to drop the engine to install a lightweight flywheel that has been in my parts bin for a few years whilst I was in there. That one worries me a little as it is the really light 964.102.239.81 version but there is only one way to find out, and the car hasn’t done much more than travel down the motorway to HD and back for the last few years so I’m less worried about around town driveability.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, and good to hear. It’s so easy to go down the rabbit hole into shiny parts and really difficult to find out how people actually got on. Thanks for the offer of assistance, I’ll probably take you up on that John. I’ll start another thread rather than hijack yours.

Why the engine drop? OCD really. I’ve been quietly running down a similar path to your epic light refurb journey. My C4 is fairly low mileage, but haemorrhaging oil from every seal in the drive train (so the torque tube has to come out) and I wanted an excuse to drop the engine to install a lightweight flywheel that has been in my parts bin for a few years whilst I was in there. That one worries me a little as it is the really light 964.102.239.81 version but there is only one way to find out, and the car hasn’t done much more than travel down the motorway to HD and back for the last few years so I’m less worried about around town driveability.
I look forward to subscribing to the thread. Helping others spend money is cheap entertainment.

Last edited by John McM; 09-08-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:38 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Why the engine drop? OCD really. I’ve been quietly running down a similar path to your epic light refurb journey. My C4 is fairly low mileage, but haemorrhaging oil from every seal in the drive train
Yup, same reason for dropping my engine, leaking everywhere. I never split the case on mine but changed out as many of the o-rings that I could. Hopefully I won't regret that later.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not my car but I told the buyer, my neighbor, that I would buy it if he didn’t. I’m going to help with the refurb.

USA delivered 1992 model C2. Signal Green. 82,000 miles.
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by John McM:
964George (10-15-2021), 964Luftballoon (10-14-2021), Ken D (10-13-2021), No_snivelling (10-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb