Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015 | 04:12 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Not sure if you have mentioned it but where are the splitters from?
Thank you
Old 07-08-2015 | 07:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breljohn
Not sure if you have mentioned it but where are the splitters from?
Thank you
Getty Design. They come rough and require drilling and clear coat to make them look nice. They are also a little longer on the sides than the factory ones but that can be remedied or used as is.
Old 07-09-2015 | 05:36 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics with the oil coolers! I am doing the same! I do have a question about the lines you took? Do you reweld some stock connections?! or how did you do it?
Old 07-09-2015 | 09:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Undutched
Thanks for the pics with the oil coolers! I am doing the same! I do have a question about the lines you took? Do you reweld some stock connections?! or how did you do it?

Routing the lines required modifying the front impact aluminum bumper support to minimize the chance of low impact damage. I know I took more pictures but can't seem to locate them. If I find them I will post. Meanwhile I cropped these to give you an idea but not very clear. The oil line looks as though the bumper would hit but looking straight on it has an inch of clearance from the lower part of the support.

Essentially used a 4" cup saw to cut a radius at the bottom of the aluminum support so that the lines could be run below the impact support and up into the cavity of the bumper support. The picture is not very detailed or clear but I think you can see what I did. This should allow the aluminum support to come into contact with the tub without severing the lines by pinching them between the support and tub in case of a "low" speed impact. I also thoroughly smoothed the area I cut and covered the cut surface with rubber so there is no chance of rubbing. I routed the lines behind the bumper support itself for the cross over. Hopefully it will never be tested. I decided to use the same hose as the factory lines it was a 50% savings, I didn't see the need to spend up for the metal jacketed lines.

The fittings are old factory ends cut from old lines then welded radius pipes to make the turn. The pipe with green took 5 welds and the red and green 4 to get right. A lot of trial and error so to speak. Modified the factory A/C bracket by welding the V section removed from a second factory oil cooler bracket that holds the cooler in place. Took time to find the precise angle to mount the second oil cooler to allow the lines to clear and give a smooth radius that required cutting and welding the tubes to the fittings, or you could modify the headlight bucket with a hammer prior to paint which would have been easier but the fender was already painted so you live and learn.

Not sure if I explained myself properly. Hopefully the picture will give you some idea of what it took. It is a lot more work than I expected.
Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2015 | 05:34 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Hi Anthony,

thanks for the detailed info. I hadn't even though of the impact bumper causing any issues, but it clearly makes sense. I will take take care of that, when doing it.

How do you install the bottom part of the secondary oil cooler? I see you bent the bottom part? So its just held at the top left corner?
Old 07-10-2015 | 10:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Undutched
Hi Anthony,
How do you install the bottom part of the secondary oil cooler? I see you bent the bottom part? So its just held at the top left corner?
I purchased a second oil cooler and complete assembly used (bracket, shrouds, resistors etc) as one package off pelican. I cut the V part of the bracket off and welded it onto the A/C bracket so all the mounting points are there. Far easier than trying to fabricate something from scratch.

The area in red is from the spare oil cooler bracket. The screw to the right is normally in the front. Just flipped it around and welded it to the A/C bracket which sits closer to the tub so it moves the oil cooler into position although had to angle the top a little as I mentioned.
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2015 | 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

My son is in Whistler skiing and wife down the Jersey shore. Will work straight through Sunday to complete everything else without interruption and then off for wheel alignment. Can't wait to be finished.

Second seat and rest of padding will go in today which nearly completes the interior except for seat brace I have to make. Seat belts are a different blue than the factory belts if I knew they were that different I would stayed with black. Oh well. Meanwhile I will probably wrap the padding later in vinyl or alcantera depending on where it is but that can be done at any time if at all.

Hopefully I will have full detailed pictures I am going to get my friend Dom to professionally photograph this and the turbo before I begin to trash all my hard work on the track. Hopefully I can get flyingtomato to record the engine as well and post it. Can't seem to get the files uploaded.

Also going to do a Carrera stripe down the side I think in black (thoughts?) Not sure what to call this thing other than a mutt. But would like to put some marking on the rear tail any thoughts? I could reverse the turbo "turbo 3.6" script and have it say "3.6 Turbo" since it technically is a turbocharged 3.6L or maybe have a decal made up saying 3.6 twin turbo in black. Looking for creative wisdom from you guys on this one.

I don't plan on adding much as far as decals or anything on this car letting the color do all the work.
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2015 | 11:33 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

What a great project and write up on this awesome car!

I like the slightly more subtle side scripts Singer uses on their cars - 2 tone. You could do the stripes in a silver and then pick another contrasting color for the Porsche logo like red to match the brake rotors. Here is an example for inspiration.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2015 | 03:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cobalt
Also going to do a Carrera stripe down the side I think in black (thoughts?) Not sure what to call this thing other than a mutt. But would like to put some marking on the rear tail any thoughts? I could reverse the turbo "turbo 3.6" script and have it say "3.6 Turbo" since it technically is a turbocharged 3.6L or maybe have a decal made up saying 3.6 twin turbo in black. Looking for creative wisdom from you guys on this one.

I don't plan on adding much as far as decals or anything on this car letting the color do all the work.
This is really great cobalt. It looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the Carrera stripe idea. I like the look of them and it looks great on our RSR clone. I like the idea of the 3.6 twin turbo in black script. Could be unique. Keep up the awesome work!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-10-2015 | 04:40 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

almost there buddy. can't wait to see this beast in action. been imagining what it might sound
Old 07-11-2015 | 10:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
This is really great cobalt. It looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the Carrera stripe idea. I like the look of them and it looks great on our RSR clone. I like the idea of the 3.6 twin turbo in black script. Could be unique. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks everyone.

The RSR clone is a beauty. Especially in the green

I think my next project will be reverting back to the older long nose cars after working on a bunch lately. I have a friend who builds RSR clones although most of his collect is real including CanAm, and other vintage racers he has a shop to maintain his collection and he keeps his crew busy building RSR clones for customers. As nice as the new cars are these older cars just get more beautiful as time passes.

Ken stop by anytime if you want. Car goes for clear film coverage Wednesday and then off for the wheel alignment and then WGI. Not sure if it is nerves or excitement but in either case I have no doubt my first few sessions will be coasting up the S's until the wheel is straight and then playing with the throttle. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me.

One of my friends RSR's he uses for vintage racing he just completed the custom exhaust for it when he sent this to me. BTW he is the one that got me hooked on these cars back in HS. We worked on a bunch of cars back then and I haven't been able to stop since obviously neither has he. LOL

BTW I am leaning towards the Carrera stripe.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2015 | 08:34 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Impressive on so many levels!

Love that you've been modding Porsches with the same bud since HS. How cool is that!
Old 07-13-2015 | 11:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks it has been a long time and a lot of fun. But the cars make it easy.

Finally finished the interior so all that is left is fitting the rear bumper, wing and wheel alignment.

The padding in the interior is overkill but I like the idea of my wife being safe.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

This thread will be coming to an end soon. All the body work is completed the only thing left is the tail which is getting painted this week. I have to adjust the exhaust pipes they were a bit too high. I am thinking of doing GT3 equal length instead of the 935 style. Once that is installed and suspension sorted there will be nothing left to do but drive it. Finally.

My son quickly volunteered for the task. LOL he thinks he has a chance at taking it out. Nice to be young and naive.

I walked into the garage and he was trying it on for size.
Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2015 | 05:30 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your info! Greatly appreciated!
You should tell your son, if he can get it out of the garage without stalling and paying for the gas, he may have a chance

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)