Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I see you have my favorite "mufflers", twin turbos!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:48 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...The best part was all the attention the car got from young and old alike. I was asked by numerous people if I would build them a car and even the comments from the 18 year old kids who were their with their parents and some new GT3's said they would prefer the car over anything else there and there was some serious hardware...
+1

Another 964 on track chasing GT3s!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Well I figured the brake booster problem and i feel like a dummy.

Could have had a full weekend of event free driving. It appears although it did not look corroded the ground strap to the pump was oxidized enough to insulate the ground. I removed it and cleaned it with emery cloth until it was shinny copper replaced it and now all seems to be working. Oh well sometimes the simplest solution is the answer.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Glad it's only a minor issue with an easy fix!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one sweet build there Cobalt, a perfect addition to your collection.

Looking forward to some action video��
Old 08-07-2015, 01:53 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Fantabulous T
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow just amazing the patience yet speed of this project is epic just perfect enjoy!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Round 2 Palmer race track Mass.

Thx,

So I had a second go at learning to tame the beast. This time was at a completely new track Whisky Hill in Palmer Massachusetts.

Not sure you could call it a track in the traditional sense, more like a life sized slot cars.

I hated it the first day. There were 5 people that had ever driven the track there before. The rest of us had never been there since it opened earlier this year. First day was advanced drivers only so I figured I would have a chance to learn it and have two days to master it.

Well as I should have expected the 92db at 30 feet I read with my meter equated to 104db track side with a 96db restriction so after half my run the meatball flag was pointed at me and in I came.

Missed my first 2 run sessions searching all over town for 2.5" pipes I could modify for down pipes to quiet the car down. The locals must have known as I was charged $70 for what I could pick up locally for $35. The last two they had and they didn't match. Looked like crap but who cared so long as I could drive.

Was lucky enough to meet a great guy Dave (Elvis) who drove an E36 M3 but had 1500 laps on the track. He was dusting everyone since it is a track suited for lower powered cars.

The track has 14 turns in 2.7 miles with more elevation change than anything I had driven. Not even switchbacks on European roads are like this. Although I hear the dive into turn 7 is still not as steep as Laguna seca. It is the most physically challenging track of any I have driven. 50 days on this track and you will be in great shape.

So once i got the noise down below 96db I was able to follow Dave for a lead follow which allowed me to understand the best line that will keep you on track and hit the 11 out of 14 turns that had late blind apexes. You mess up at this track and it won't be pretty. It will take some time to bring the track up to where it needs to be but once done it will be one of my favorites for the challenge and flow. For those of you who recall NJMP when it first opened it is essentially the same scenario.

So not only did I have to learn the most difficult potentially dangerous track but a car that has more potential than I realized. It was scary putting the power down. The car at 3/4 throttle is fast at WOT it is scary fast. Enough to pull on modified 997TT's going up a very steep hill while spinning the rear tires. (4th 5th and 6th pictures and beyond)It looks like I will need to figure a way to go with a 315 in the rear as one of my winter projects. The 295 R7's just don't cut it. I admit I over braked most of the event (didn't want to loose it) when I didn't the flow is amazing and challenging all at the same time. I also dogged it down the front curved straight bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th at the beginning and just coasting. I finally found the nerve to shift to 5th only to find I was hitting the rev limiter in 5th 3/4 of the way down the straight.

The brakes had way to much grip for the slower speeds but eventually learned how to modulate them which takes a light touch. Once I gained speed they worked nicely. Car braked very flat. Had a number of situations where the car slid but did so evenly and in complete control. My wife was a bit nervous about driving a new track and car at the same time. I insisted she took out instructors all seasoned cup car drivers with great skill and felt the car was a monster and amazed at how flat, it handled and how much grip it had not to mention the power which she only used 60% of.

It is interesting how when you go from 3/4 throttle to WOT how the car just goes from lightning fast to hyper space mode. It is like someone turned on a switch and let the nitrous flow. The car just picks up speed at an alarming rate and although I have no speedo I would bet the speedo would move faster than the tach.

If I had the first day to learn instead of fiddling with pipes I have no doubt my times would be considerably faster. No data since the AIM Solo still doesn't have this track. This track is all about experience and seat time, power is not critical but grip is. I had a 997TT driver I know try to figure out how I was able to have the grip and power to pass him going up a hill I could barely walk up.

It might have taken 18 months but it was worth it.

Here are some pics of the ugly pipes and the track.
Attached Images           
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it gets better and better.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

This rims look great. Glad to see they went to a great cause Anthony! Love the car. My project is going very very slowly.... 18 months but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
This rims look great. Glad to see they went to a great cause Anthony! Love the car. My project is going very very slowly.... 18 months but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Actually these were from Sprex yours are on my C2. They are the only set I have seen with the special finish which works perfectly on the car with the same color stripe. IMO they make the car and it gets a lot of attention especially because of the wheels.

I know you sold the turbo didn't realize you were working on something new. Care to share? I thought I would be done in 8 months but it took me 18 as well. The end product is all that counts.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually these were from Sprex yours are on my C2. They are the only set I have seen with the special finish which works perfectly on the car with the same color stripe. IMO they make the car and it gets a lot of attention especially because of the wheels.

I know you sold the turbo didn't realize you were working on something new. Care to share? I thought I would be done in 8 months but it took me 18 as well. The end product is all that counts.
Well they look good there too! I bought a 92 C2 and a guy by the name of Leh Keen (drives the WeatherTech GTD car) is building a few custom 73 RSR trubute cars. Someplace between a RWB and a Springer I would say. I had the motor completely reworked into a 4.0 etc, etc, etc... It will be awesome when it's done!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
Well they look good there too! I bought a 92 C2 and a guy by the name of Leh Keen (drives the WeatherTech GTD car) is building a few custom 73 RSR trubute cars. Someplace between a RWB and a Springer I would say. I had the motor completely reworked into a 4.0 etc, etc, etc... It will be awesome when it's done!
Sounds great looking forward to seeing the end product. Best luck
Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

finally got to see the car over the weekend. also took the time to install the short shift kit with Tony's help. thanks cobalt! It really is an amazing built. It's actually more polished than I thought. overrall presence is a big difference with an interior(RS carpet) vs those fully stripped track built.

Took a vid of the car idling. car sounds amazing. Did I say it's loud!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds bad ***!

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)