Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:13 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have Evo 2's as I do, can I ask what mounts are you using?

I ask as mine fit ok but there are issues trying to fit harnesses as they seem to interfere with the fixings on both sides
Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
I see you have Evo 2's as I do, can I ask what mounts are you using?

I ask as mine fit ok but there are issues trying to fit harnesses as they seem to interfere with the fixings on both sides
I believe these are them http://www.bkauto.com/R_9061_Side_Mo...o_p/r-9061.htm

I went with the recaro slider I find them to be a bit sturdier than the sparco sliders. It was a tight fit but I was able to make everything work according to Sabelts instructions. I would post a picture but the car is getting covered in clear film and then off for a wheel alignment.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Getting closer.

I dropped the car off at my friend Nelson's owner and master clear film installer of Clear Image here in NJ. There is no better out there. I asked for some simple coverage but he took it a step further. The entire car is covered minus the A pillars and front cowl. fenders, doors, hood, rear 1/4's bumpers roof etc all covered with film and you would be hard pressed to see it.

Picked up the car and dropped it off at Protosport for final tuning of engine and suspension. Meanwhile Pino painted the tail and CF wing. I will be installing it today and hopefully have a derivable car by the end of the week or early next.
Attached Images    
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cobalt - The car is looking spectacular...waiting to see the final tuning....should be a monster. It has been inspirational and educational following this tread. Which film did you end up using?

Originally Posted by cobalt
Getting closer.

I dropped the car off at my friend Nelson's owner and master clear film installer of Clear Image here in NJ. There is no better out there. I asked for some simple coverage but he took it a step further. The entire car is covered minus the A pillars and front cowl. fenders, doors, hood, rear 1/4's bumpers roof etc all covered with film and you would be hard pressed to see it.

Picked up the car and dropped it off at Protosport for final tuning of engine and suspension. Meanwhile Pino painted the tail and CF wing. I will be installing it today and hopefully have a derivable car by the end of the week or early next.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Cobalt - The car is looking spectacular...waiting to see the final tuning....should be a monster. It has been inspirational and educational following this tread. Which film did you end up using?
Thanks

He used the Xpel film. It is much easier to stretch around all the curves on these cars. It is such an improvement over the older 3M films. It is next to impossible to see that it is there but a lot of work.

I removed the 3M film on my 04 cayenne turbo the other day. It had been on the car for nearly 10 years and the film came off leaving all the adhesive behind. What a PITA. Although for its age and never being garaged the paint looks like new.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So close to be being finished. Still some small pieces, odds and ends needing to be finished but looks like I will finally make an event.

I don't think I will have time for any graphics and I am starting to lean towards leaving it as is.

I might put a twin turbo 3.6 in black vinyl on the back lid and omit the carrera stripe it can always be added later.

Raised it up for now. Was giving me issues with my trailer so I will have to figure that out. Not as much negative camber as I hoped but there will be a lot of tweaking needed once we get it out on the track. I also have to adjust the rear deck lid. It is a royal PITA to get to sit flush, more than likely need to make some minor adjustments to the brackets I made. I am very happy I kept the CF wing vs painting it blue. The contrast really works with maritime and the blackened tail lights look great as well IMO.

This is how it stands now. Still waiting on the front headlight surround from Nelson the clear bra kept lifting on that one piece. Had a little rubbing issue with the front wheels so we kept them inboard for now. These changes will come eventually. Unfortunately I wanted GT3 style rear pipes but there is no way to do it with the turbos as they sit. I hope they are out far enough as this thing does throw flames. I have a spare center section in case they burn any paint.

It has been far more work than I expected. I have restored numerous Porsche's but refurbishing and creating are two different worlds. I have a lot of info I will one day get around to starting another thread comparing the differences of the MY''s that I have uncovered in building the project. I definitely would have searched for a newer tub and factory 964 vs 930 flairs if I had to do this again. I am grateful to all of those here and on Pelican that helped make this happen.
Attached Images      
Old 07-24-2015, 09:44 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anthony, what a sense of accomplishment you must feel.
Truly an impressive build.
Thank you for taking us on the journey
Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breljohn
Anthony, what a sense of accomplishment you must feel.
Truly an impressive build.
Thank you for taking us on the journey
Thanks

It is a great feeling I am proud of my work although I am apprehensive since I have no idea what it will drive like until I am out on the track. I am hoping it drives as well as it looks.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:15 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Congrats it looks great. I look forward to hearing how it performs on track.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice work, you should be proud!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:59 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Don't know how I missed this thread. Awesome build, that thing looks like a beast!
Old 07-24-2015, 02:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...I might put a twin turbo 3.6 in black vinyl on the back lid and omit the carrera stripe it can always be added later.
With the black accents - lights, tail, trim, door handles - the Carrera stripe will look perfect and only add to the subtle track look you are going for. Like you said, add it later.

[quote]...I am very happy I kept the CF wing vs painting it blue. The contrast really works with maritime and the blackened tail lights look great as well IMO.[/img]

Yes it does!

...It has been far more work than I expected. I have restored numerous Porsche's but refurbishing and creating are two different worlds. I have a lot of info I will one day get around to starting another thread comparing the differences of the MY''s that I have uncovered in building the project...
Thank you for sharing and adding to the knowledge base!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:34 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

It does look beautiful as is. I'm just so ecstatic about this build, Anthony! It's just absolutely beautiful. Congratulations.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 545 Posts

Wow! Just Wow! Glad to see that it has come together so well. Best of luck running it in next week. Just remember that in the NASCAR configuration T10 comes up quickly.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 07-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. It has been quite the journey.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Wow! Just Wow! Glad to see that it has come together so well. Best of luck running it in next week. Just remember that in the NASCAR configuration T10 comes up quickly.
Frank,

I hear that is the big trouble spot on the NASCAR config no more tap and go when coming from the boot. At least I have 3 days to figure it and the car out.

Talk soon.

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)