Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015 | 08:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
your work bench looks so clean?
All I do is clean and mess it up again. Car is coming along oil lines for dual oil coolers went in today. Meanwhile my big blacks are mounted on my C2 and the big reds are ready for teh track car once my custom rotors are machined. Still awaiting the rotors from Kai seems to have gone MIA on me again otherwise I would be almost ready to drive the C2.
Old 04-10-2015 | 09:48 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Anthony your progress is remarkable , I am knee deep in my 3.8 95 Cup project at the
moment but having some 965 body parts completed as we speak for my RS 3.8 look 965
project which is seemingly being pushed farther into the summer for now.
I am surprised your having that much difficulty with the rear wheel widths ,with narrow body
swing arms it's supposed to be close but fit nun the less. I imagine it could depend if the
inner barrels exceed 8.5" .
I have narrow arms and 12" BBs E88's planned so hope I can get it to work .
From your shots it almost looks as though once loaded the suspension would camber in enough to work ?
Look for ward to catching up at Hershey last row as always...Bert
Old 04-11-2015 | 08:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Anthony your progress is remarkable , I am knee deep in my 3.8 95 Cup project at the
moment but having some 965 body parts completed as we speak for my RS 3.8 look 965
project which is seemingly being pushed farther into the summer for now.
I am surprised your having that much difficulty with the rear wheel widths ,with narrow body
swing arms it's supposed to be close but fit nun the less. I imagine it could depend if the
inner barrels exceed 8.5" .
I have narrow arms and 12" BBs E88's planned so hope I can get it to work .
From your shots it almost looks as though once loaded the suspension would camber in enough to work ?
Look for ward to catching up at Hershey last row as always...Bert
Bert,

Funny you say that because I now find out that I could fit the 12's with spacers but it would be tight. It was very hard to tell with the suspension not properly aligned. I would need to stretch 305's to make it work but I already purchased the inner barrels so i decided to use them and be safe. Also only slicks come in the 305 width I would need and I am not sure my wife thinks she is ready for everything at once. Sometimes you have to coax her into these things.

These wheels are temporary just to get me up and running and keep me on budget for now. Once we sort out the car I plan to order new wheels preferably a 5 spoke like the FM V's probably in black. These will be made to my specifications more than likely will be either 11.5's or 12's and have a larger outer lip so I don't need spacers. Otherwise I can always rebuild them with the 9" barrels. More than likely these will become my rain or spare set of wheels. Having a single set is not an option just a place to start.

It is next to impossible to keep these projects on schedule. Well actually setting a deadline is less important than making sure everything is done properly. I just miss the seat time and have gotten very rusty. I missed most of all last season so I am pushing hard to get this done on time. Now if some people could be man enough to keep their word I would be much further along.

Thanks for your insight. If you have any other advice it is appreciated or if I can help in any way please feel free to ask. Seems 964 3.8RS wide body builds are all the rage lately.
Old 04-14-2015 | 06:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Brakes

So the brakes are installed. Very happy with them so far. Had to have custom rotors made to fit my aluminum hat. I am using full 993TT big reds all around instead of the 964 turbo rears due to some issues. rear still needs some work
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (02-08-2021)
Old 04-14-2015 | 08:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Loving this! Great job so far.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So as expected I missed my first event and now I am focused on making the next one. Looks like the zone 1 concours But I will have it ready for Tbolt in June.

Had some sorting needed on the engine. If all goes well it will be in by Monday. Takes some work to fit a 993 varioram with massive IC into a 964.

For now all I have are pictures of the engine sitting waiting. It has some nice modifications that should do the job. Just want to do this once so it isn't worth rushing.
Attached Images        
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:20 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't wait to see this beast in action!

Sorry if I missed mention of it, but what will you be running for engine management?
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken D
I can't wait to see this beast in action!

Sorry if I missed mention of it, but what will you be running for engine management?
It's a secret. LOL

Since all the power increase is coming from low boost twin turbos there really is no need to go crazy. John from Protosport has built a number of these engines and uses the later factory motronic with a custom chip of his design. Trying to keep this project on budget requires keeping things simple.
Old 05-01-2015 | 01:06 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

didnt know you were going turbo on this. I knew you had a 993 engine. what a beast. you make us regular 964 owners envy.
Old 05-01-2015 | 01:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
didnt know you were going turbo on this. I knew you had a 993 engine. what a beast. you make us regular 964 owners envy.
Engine and tranny and upgrades kind of fell in my lap. It was very hard to say no. I really wanted more power from an N/A engine but the cost delta was too great. Besides a high strung N/A motor requires constant tear downs might as well have purchased a cup car if I wanted the hassles. This will run a long time without issues. I have seen similar setups last over 35k track miles without issue. But there are never guarantees.
Old 05-05-2015 | 02:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Well we are finally making some progress. Engine and tranny assembled and mounted. Its a start. It will be a little bit before we can finish the extra plumbing needed to fire it up.

Here are some pictures of the engine installed and the I/C mounted for now. Needed to get these parts in place so I can modify the tail to fit over the I/C. Due to the varioram intake the I/C has to sit further back than usual. So now after some glass work it is back to the paint shop to have the tail, rear bumper, seat backs and some other small parts painted the color of the car. The car will sit for a day or two since it has been up on the lift and want the suspension to settle before getting ready for an alignment. Back end is sitting way too low right now. I settled on Hossier R7's in 245/295 sizes to start. Never tried them but hear they are much better than the 6's which I was not fond of.

Blue seat belts arrived; ready to be installed.

After a nice bit of info supplied by Bill V. I broke the piggy bank and purchased a set of 993 RS rear calipers instead of the 993TT rears I was planning on using. hopefully this will be the end of that. Brakes are expensive but equally as important as safety equipment. All the fancy engine crap means nothing if you don't have decent brakes.

Just a matter of time now.

Thanks again Bill.
Attached Images     
Old 05-05-2015 | 02:20 PM
Medevack1
Racer

WOW nice!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2015 | 02:33 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Turbo S LM tail would be perfect, if anyone makes a replica (EDIT - Getty does make a replica). Similar bi-plane style to the RSR 3,8 but with side intakes to direct air to the intercooler. Period correct.

Last edited by Ken D; 05-05-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2015 | 03:12 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

The LM wing is too big in my opinion but a 993GT2 wing fits like a glove on a wide 964. Intakes and bi-plane.
Old 05-05-2015 | 05:48 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

I like the 3.8 RS tail the best

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)