Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:42 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I stand by my statement. Never buy any car from the miami area.
The following users liked this post:
xgrudgex (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:15 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I stand by my statement. Never buy any car from the miami area.
Not sure what bad experience you’ve had in the past while buying a car in Miami, and granted there are a lot of scammers here, but your view is a bit of a short sight IMO. I mean no disrespect. Miami and Miami Beach are home to the best car collections in the world. So you wouldn’t buy any car from any of them because they are located in Miami?

@curated
@Ikonik
@DRT
@The Barn

Just to name some of the most publicly documented ones with plenty of social media presence.

I get close to 10 PPI private inquiries a month from other RL members seeking advice on if, where and how to buy a good car here or to check a car for them as they are remote. Like with everything proper due diligence pays off and lemons are spotted and left in the basket and scammers called out for what they are.

If any of you is ever in town, send me a PM. I’d be happy to go for a drive and introduce any of you to my car guy circle and exchange car stories at the next CnC with a backdrop of the most incredible Porsches around and vehicles of other Marques as well.

The funny thing is the car that has given me most problems post purchase, I bought in Arizona. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy another car from there. If I found that Horizon Blue 964 Coupe in Arizona I would pick it up from there again in a heartbeat. Maybe with more due diligence but equally undeterred. #PorscheON!
jeff33702 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:40 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Yea, I still do.

Supercar collections and cars selling on rennlist, BAT, etc from the Miami area are not in the same world. In terms of a region of the US, I still maintain cars coming out of Miami are usually storied cars, or straight scams. By far more than other areas of the US. And Ive been to DRT. Some of the cars they let in to be on display, with some even having for sale signs are shocking. Straight up scams with mismatched parts.

Of course I am not saying every single car is a lemon from Miami. But yes I would be pessimistic until it went through. Only 2 shops I trust in SoFL to do a PPI. Rest no way.....
JAB12 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:40 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 230 Posts

I can live with Abreu's creation since his pricing is not as nuts as Singer's or Gunther's maybe less badging of some sort with a killer 4.0 and lesser weight. I'm waiting for Jonte's car to be finished, lol!
Old 04-27-2021, 12:44 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Not sure what bad experience you’ve had in the past while buying a car in Miami, and granted there are a lot of scammers here, but your view is a bit of a short sight IMO. I mean no disrespect. Miami and Miami Beach are home to the best car collections in the world. So you wouldn’t buy any car from any of them because they are located in Miami?

@curated
@Ikonik
@DRT
@The Barn

Just to name some of the most publicly documented ones with plenty of social media presence.

I get close to 10 PPI private inquiries a month from other RL members seeking advice on if, where and how to buy a good car here or to check a car for them as they are remote. Like with everything proper due diligence pays off and lemons are spotted and left in the basket and scammers called out for what they are.

If any of you is ever in town, send me a PM. I’d be happy to go for a drive and introduce any of you to my car guy circle and exchange car stories at the next CnC with a backdrop of the most incredible Porsches around and vehicles of other Marques as well.

The funny thing is the car that has given me most problems post purchase, I bought in Arizona. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy another car from there. If I found that Horizon Blue 964 Coupe in Arizona I would pick it up from there again in a heartbeat. Maybe with more due diligence but equally undeterred. #PorscheON!

I still owe you a steak dinner!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I still owe you a steak dinner!
Name the time and place!! I’ll PM you!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

As of June 2020 Singer alone had done about 130 cars backdated. Other companies like Guntherwerks have done about half of that and now Abreu has done a handful so quantities are still pretty low vs actual Porsche production numbers of 964 Coupes and Targas in all variants. The link below is to a Singer Targa. Not my cup of tea, especially at the presumed price tag and 2-3 year wait time, but it has its following. I feel the entire thing has gotten out of hand. 7 figures for 'its not really a Porsche anymore' is just unfathomable, no disrespect to any Singer owner in here..

https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/...-every-dollar/
I know the targa. He owns some of the finest cars you will find and is meticulous about each one.

Figure on how few of the 5106 coupes remain and you will find that the numbers are quickly dwindling and most everything I see on the market is a pig with lots of lipstick. Or a car that has sat untouched for 30 years asking all the money.

Funny I was under the impression Naples had the market on collectors and high end cars in FLA. I have many friend's who live in Miami, my fathers best friend both now deceased owned Hialeah race track and I never found the car collector world to be strong there as it is up in the NYC area. Most collectors are far more private up here but the collections are pretty intense and people have been collecting these here since PCA began.

I have to agree of the cars I look at mostly 964's for people many from the Miami area are junk. That might be due to some of the less scrupulous dealers you are famous for. Not that we don't have our share. There are good and bad cars everywhere I have looked at nearly 1000 of these for people over the years and you have to be careful even from the most reputable shops. I won't mention names but some of the most famous in the business have sold their share of lemons.

I do find it funny how social media presence is a factor and how many I see in person that don't hold up to what I expected.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-27-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Greg Wolfe (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:38 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Figure on how few of the 5106 coupes remain and you will find that the numbers are quickly dwindling and most everything I see on the market is a pig with lots of lipstick. Or a car that has sat untouched for 30 years asking all the money.
+1. Reality is there are going to be issues even if the car was maintained over the past 30 years. Work receipts from a reputable shop will help but it does not mean the car needs nothing.

I have AC and body with 30 years of cosmetic wear and tear to sort out on my 964 and then it will be done. Fun car but really prefer my 3TT at the end of the day. Not sure how long I will keep my 964. It has been fun sorting it out.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:44 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
+1. Reality is there are going to be issues even if the car was maintained over the past 30 years. Work receipts from a reputable shop will help but it does not mean the car needs nothing.

I have AC and body with 30 years of cosmetic wear and tear to sort out on my 964 and then it will be done. Fun car but really prefer my 3TT at the end of the day. Not sure how long I will keep my 964. It has been fun sorting it out.
What makes you like the 3TT? Thinking about this myself though it's going to be tough to pry my targa out of my hands.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

Hard to argue with the turbos. Very different animal and as much as I love the N/A the turbo will always be the last to go and my favorite. Less engaging in some ways but hard not to love.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:19 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

JAB,

When people say they won't buy a car from Miami, myself included, it's worth acknowledging that we aren't talking about buying 700 mile F cars for half a million dollars with fully documented histories. We're saying we aren't shopping for "normal" cars there with 50-100+ thousand mile ODOs, multiple undocumented owners and unknown service history, etc. The vast majority of 964s fall into the latter category, and there have been a disproportionate number of awful 964s (and 993s) sold out of Miami over the past decade from various dealers and private parties.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:21 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Talking

"I do find it funny how social media presence is a factor and how many I see in person that don't hold up to what I expected.[/QUOTE]

Wise words as always, and I understand the North Eastern historical vehicle collection traditions that exist in the upper states. I was raised in Boston so I have witnessed this growing up from estates that will never be made public or presume on any social media platform. However, we are talking about Miami, in particular Miami Beach. Different Animal, land of exposure, and very much social media dependent to some extent. If you take my story as a microcosm of what has been going on here in the last say, 5 years, for example, I first shyly started in the 'hobbie' a little less than 10 years ago. When I first joined Rennlist, I had 1 car and I thank not only this platform but other similar forums for being the vehicle, yes pun, to allow me to conduct successful searches on examples that met my criteria which I ended up parking in my garage. Bought from both dealer/brokers and from private sellers all over the country. I am not alone in this 'neck of the woods' with a similar recent story. This is why when someone from out of state contacts me inquiring about a car they are looking at in Miami or vicinity, I am more than happy to assist and provide my local knowledge as when you live here you know who is good to deal with and who you need to stay away from. Also inside scoop on where all the good cars are. I wouldn't let the unscrupulous dealers deter anyone from looking at a car in South Florida, just do your due diligence and move on if it doesn't check out.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:37 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by tjb616
JAB,

When people say they won't buy a car from Miami, myself included, it's worth acknowledging that we aren't talking about buying 700 mile F cars for half a million dollars with fully documented histories. We're saying we aren't shopping for "normal" cars there with 50-100+ thousand mile ODOs, multiple undocumented owners and unknown service history, etc. The vast majority of 964s fall into the latter category, and there have been a disproportionate number of awful 964s (and 993s) sold out of Miami over the past decade from various dealers and private parties.
This is where I disagree on the blanket generalization, based on what I witness almost every other week in the community of my peers within the classic Porsche local community, and my own experience of avidly looking for a 964 Targa over the last 5 years nationwide. I have over a dozen PPI scars to support that. Except for 1 car belonging to another Rennlist Member here who will remain private, all other cars I PPI'd located anywhere from California to New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Canada and other places were not up to par. Not even close. And I am being generous. Doesn't mean I would not buy a good car from any of those places. I only PPI'd one car in Miami and we couldn't agree on price so I passed. It ended up being picked up through Pcar market by another RL member from CT. Granted I was looking for non red, white or black so that narrowed the choice pool considerably. This said, I respect everyone's opinion and what any man wants to do with their money. I am just saying that when you have local support and knowledge of where to look and where to stay away from, the decision making process is much less biased.

Now let's go back to our regularly scheduled programming and discuss where the pricing of our beloved N/A 964s is heading....
Old 04-27-2021, 02:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
What makes you like the 3TT? Thinking about this myself though it's going to be tough to pry my targa out of my hands.
My 3TT is RWD and modded to be DE friendly so comparison is unfair. However, ECU is stock with LWFW and 200 cell CATs which sounds great. The smaller twin turbos makes it as responsive as NA motors > 3.5 RPM. I like it well enough > 3K because the torque is already there. A NA motor with 270hp is not giving anything in 4th gear anyway. I feel more disappointed with that than turbo lag. At least power shows up in a turbo.

If you can't adjust your driving around that then stick with what you have. It gives that old school feel with modern power. Can't think of another car that provides this experience.

Last edited by chsu74; 04-27-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:14 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

. I am just saying that when you have local support and knowledge of where to look and where to stay away from, the decision making process is much less biased.

Now let's go back to our regularly scheduled programming and discuss where the pricing of our beloved N/A 964s is heading....
I agree wholeheartedly that it's entirely different if Miami is your home market and you are involved in the community. I bought my 964 in the town I grew up in after having PPI's all over the country. Nowhere better to buy a car than home.
JAB12 (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale