Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:07 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
those torn sport seats are just a shame! how do you let it get that bad?

those are fantastic seats to have, though.
Probably by using it just as a car and not thinking twice about rarity or spec of the options, which is quite common considering most of these were $10-15k cars not very long ago.

Years ago, my high option 997.2 C2S was bought from a guy who used the car essentially as a Camry. Grimey as hell tan interior that took some love to remedy but is now fantastic with carbon buckets and other improvements.

I think it's surprising that people are surprised that for quite some time that while new porsches were a status symbol or desirable, older used cars were just that - old used Porsches. Vividly remember all the 10k or so 964s I passed up because I thought M Coupes were infinitely cooler and more interesting. Well look where we are, oh well.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
Probably by using it just as a car and not thinking twice about rarity or spec of the options, which is quite common considering most of these were $10-15k cars not very long ago.

Years ago, my high option 997.2 C2S was bought from a guy who used the car essentially as a Camry. Grimey as hell tan interior that took some love to remedy but is now fantastic with carbon buckets and other improvements.

I think it's surprising that people are surprised that for quite some time that while new porsches were a status symbol or desirable, older used cars were just that - old used Porsches. Vividly remember all the 10k or so 964s I passed up because I thought M Coupes were infinitely cooler and more interesting. Well look where we are, oh well.
Very true. I briefly lived in Maine and I distinctly remember a local doctor that daily drove a 964 C4 year round. Maine roads in the dead of winter were atrocious to say the least. We lived in a small town so I saw the car up close regularly and the interior was beat with torn leather seats etc. As noted, these cars weren’t always in high demand and thus were used/enjoyed and perhaps not cared for the way they are today. That partially explains current prices.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:14 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
anyone see this one yet?

https://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/60707

love the color...wish it was a C2....

Just noticed the seller.....doesn't mater what it is........i'm out
Did anyone notice the shock tower mounts are mounted incorrectly as well. WOW Really !]

Helio
Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Eh, I’m a person that wants to drive the hell out of my cars without worrying about them being frail. Think of it as wanting my cake and eating it too.

a 47k 964 that easily needs another $10k puts me in a territory where value is thrown out the window.

At close to $60k there are no shortage of other Porsches that I’d enjoy more while flinging cash at other projects - including the two 997.2s I have here which are soon enough going to be out of basic reach for most people as they keep going up in value.

someone relatively new to the scene who really wants one (many do) and has no shortage or cash or time to devote to one - yes they’ll want to scoop up any and all 964s. The average Porsche owner of the last decade is probably a bit more jaded with the insanity of all the speculative pricing and irrationality of the market.

the amount my cars would be worth today are not at all what I’d pay for them in terms of “value”. Same with the home analogy - someone that bought into a particular area 15 years ago is very likely to not be able to afford or find value at today’s pricing. Sure, there is the ability to cash out and then the only option is to move down market.

hope whoever got this car is happy or it doesn’t end up with a veneer level refurb and commands 65k, but this is likely - just like the many homes I see on the market with cheap materials that are only photo, but not live-in-worthy.

/endrant
If you like the 997.2 experience over a 964 that is good for you. I don't have anything negative to say about the 997's and am around every variant of Porsche nearly everyday however I see it differently. I have been buying 964's since early 2000's and was fortunate enough to pick up several nice examples and build one to my own specs. I can pick up several 997 GT3s or C2s's for the value of my turbo. I don't think you can put a price limit on the 964 experience unless 0-60 and top speed is your goal. If I put limits on myself when everyone was saying spending what I did on my cars years ago I would have missed out on so much.

On paper there are many better cars but none IMO that offer the air-cooled 964 experience. I recently picked up a 91 C4 converted to C2 and quite well done but cosmetically challenged. In 2015 I picked up a better condition C4 for $10k the current car cost me $33k. I will probably invest another $80k into the car to achieve what I want but the experience to me will be unequalled. I know of many that are yearning for that air-cooled experience and the 964 seems to be the sweet spot. I wouldn't sell the 964 short. It is an amazing platform and can be sculpted into whatever you desire assuming you aren't limiting the car to an artificial ceiling. I would gladly spend $80k today on a well sorted needs little 964 coupe and then probably invest more into it but that is me. If you offered me a modern Porsche (ie anything from 2000 on) I would most likely pass even for one of my cars plus cash. I have driven the newer cars and they are incredibly capable but very few IMO are as engaging unless you are on track or driving well into triple digits.

It all depends on the experience you are looking for. For me nothing tops a well sorted 964.
The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
Gmanscott (04-22-2021), JAB12 (04-23-2021), kkswow12 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:15 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Did anyone notice the shock tower mounts are mounted incorrectly as well. WOW Really !]
Helio
Unfortunately I have seen this a few times, including on my own 964 while trying to figure out why one of the wheels poked more than the other and why that fender had been rolled for clearance. Then, I took a good look at the top mounts and what do you know, a "reputable" shop the PO used had mounted the left strut 180* while the right one was mounted correctly.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I find there are many reputable shops these days. The internet has spread the word how great they are when most of these shops are clueless. Very few shops I would trust these days. Seems there were more years ago when the word was spread by mouth and not the voice of todays public opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
kkswow12 (04-22-2021), LPMM (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:06 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt

It all depends on the experience you are looking for. For me nothing tops a well sorted 964.
Of course - and as such value is relative.

I owned a 993 C2S, and unfortunately it was one of the worst ownership experiences I've ever had. I loved looking at it, but the amount the car kept needing over and over steered me away from wanting to relive any air cooled experience again. Granted, I'm sure the provenance of the car was lacking, but that's where I'm coming from. Even my brother's 993 C4S is a car I love getting an occasional drive in - but for a car I can drive to the mountains, in the snow, along PCH, on the track and to costco, the more modern car does it for me (which is not for everyone). As such I was hoping to maybe scratch that itch again with a 964 for the heck of it.

As such, I doubt the vast majority of people would get a 964 here to simply drive the hell out of every day at this point. As noted above, the period of doctors putzing around destroying bolsters and taking these to the dealer for maintenance are long gone. I have two cars that I drive every single day, and they're both 911s. At times there were even 3, and 4 911s. But for how much 964s command, their relative scarcity and demand - it doesn't appear the direction of the market will ever be a good fit to find an every day driver. Even at $45k, which is on the extreme low end. But that's my perspective, and how I intend on using my cars.

Last edited by hexagone; 04-22-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I owned a 993 C2S, and unfortunately it was one of the worst ownership experiences I've ever had. I loved looking at it, but the amount the car kept needing over and over steered me away from wanting to relive any air cooled experience again. Granted, I'm sure the provenance of the car was lacking, but that's where I'm coming from. Even my brother's 993 C4S is a car I love getting an occasional drive in - but for a car I can drive to the mountains, in the snow, along PCH, on the track and to costco, the more modern car does it for me (which is not for everyone). As such I was hoping to maybe scratch that itch again with a 964 for the heck of it.

As such, I doubt the vast majority of people would get a 964 here to simply drive the hell out of every day at this point. As noted above, the period of doctors putzing around destroying bolsters and taking these to the dealer for maintenance are long gone. I have two cars that I drive every single day, and they're both 911s. At times there were even 3, and 4 911s. But for how much 964s command, their relative scarcity and demand - it doesn't appear the direction of the market will ever be a good fit to find an every day driver. Even at $45k, which is on the extreme low end. But that's my perspective, and how I intend on using my cars.

Sorry you had a bad experience but a well sorted air-cooed is a wonderful thing. Like any old car if they fall into disrepair they become a nuisance. That is why proper upkeep or buying a well sorted one is critical.

I gave up driving any sports car by me daily. I love my F-150 raptor gen 1 for daily chores. No need to have a 911 to go grocery shopping for me. Been there done that 30 years ago. People by me would destroy any nice car in the parking lots. Even my raptor has parking lot scars. I also find many independent shops take advantage of owners who are not mechanically inclined. I see far too many engine rebuilds that could have easily been addressed with a less expensive reseal. I love to work on my cars as much as drive them so for me it is the best of both worlds.

If I had to own a Porsche for daily I would pick my Macan GTS or my sons 981 cayman S over any 911.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-23-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:24 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

^+1. Especially driving at night; tired of staring into lights driving your 911 or sedan. My Cayenne Diesel is the best DD ever owned. Economical with enough power to do most things up to 100mph.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good points. It really comes down the the feel and experience of what you want to drive day in and day out. I have a handful of friends that do drive their 964’s as a daily because they just prefer the feel and experience compared to a new car. Once these cars are sorted, they are great and have basically all the modern features you need. Cruise control, AC, power seats & windows, and drop a Continental Stereo w/ blue tooth and your set, use you phone for GPS. They are smaller and easier to park too. The challenge is having the right mechanic which once you do it’s great, but granted it’s not as easy as going to dealer as you mention for your other 911’s. What’s interesting is your point of the cost of owning one / the value of them, while a valid point it’s sounds like you have a couple of 911’s which leads me to believe money maybe not the motivating factor and it’s really comes down to what you prefer to drive versus what one can afford. I’m not convinced the depreciation on driving a 964 versus a newer one won’t be similar and probably feel that a 964 sorted and bought know might have less depreciation than a newer 911 with the same amount miles added. I personally don’t drive mine as a daily, nor would I drive a newer one as a daily because I’m 6’3” and any 911 for me to get in and out each day is just isn’t convenient.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:28 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Last edited by WantA997; 04-23-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:33 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Back to regular programming:

Now asking $50K for 181K mile red coupe.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto...310100429.html

1990 Guards Red Porsche 964 Coupe (Manual)
2nd owner, purchased from original owner in 2015 - car has always lived in SF Bay Area.

Full engine rebuild in 2017, with less than 5k miles on the car since. Suspension completely replaced as well, with full binder of maintenance history (including window sticker). All repair work by original owner completed at Reitmeir's, all repairs and rebuild during my ownership has been done by S-Car-Go.

As you can see in the photos, there is cosmetic work to be done between the paint and ripped leather. Car has the optioned bolstered seats, and they've seen 3 decades of rubbing when you get in the vehicle.

Happy to discuss further on a call or meet in a public place to show the car, I've had a wonderful time owning this 964 and will be sad to see her go.

Note: reposting after several offers greater than original asking price, thank you for your interest.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:37 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

^ that's the car. Surely someone will buy it - but after you sort it, seats, suspension, paint, probably other things it's a $60-65k 964. And At least if you want to, at 65k should get you a fairly sorted car ready to go. The math doesn't add up unless you have to absolutely have a project on your hands.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:39 AM
Shopcat
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it still possible to get an honest, sub 100k mile driver coupe for under $75,000? I'm looking for one, but these prices may push me to a 993, which seem easier to come by under that budget.

Last edited by Shopcat; 04-23-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:24 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

^ that's the car. Surely someone will buy it - but after you sort it, seats, suspension, paint, probably other things it's a $60-65k 964. And At least if you want to, at 65k should get you a fairly sorted car ready to go. The math doesn't add up unless you have to absolutely have a project on your hands.
I would hazard the $ is even higher and would budget $70-75k as a safer number, particularly if the next owner isn’t planning on DIY everything (such as paint, upholstery, etc.). As we all know there is a delta (sometimes big in my case) between what needs to be done to make the car safe and reasonably sound vs what we can / want to do while we’re in there. I know this well as my Targa has only “needed” about $3k of essential parts and I’ve done all the work myself, but I’ve spent much more than that personalizing it and making it my own. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale