Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

ROW RS on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2020-06-12
The following 2 users liked this post by Ski Porsche:
911Jetta (06-12-2020), 9SIX4-C4 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:37 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
nice one. Here is another one from Tarek307 too.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-29/
Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I find it interesting that these always seem to be full resprays. Always much harder to tell actual miles. It would be nice if they showed the reasoning why a car needs a full respray at just 37k miles? My turbo is around that and has original perfect paint even after many hard miles.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...1-carrera-cup/
Old 06-14-2020, 12:13 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I find it interesting that these always seem to be full resprays. Always much harder to tell actual miles. It would be nice if they showed the reasoning why a car needs a full respray at just 37k miles? My turbo is around that and has original perfect paint even after many hard miles.
I am picky. For me to buy a ROW car, I would need to already trust the importer/seller. I prefer to know the full history of special cars. This one certainly looks great and might very well be great.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

100% agree with everything you said here. To me a full respray implies either the mileage isn’t accurate, it’s been in an accident or its had poor care and with no way to track the history who knows what you’re really buying? I say this because I distinctly remember a grey market german car importer back in the early 80’s that would bring MB’s And Porsche’s Into the US and sell them as new. My dad bought one of these and we slowly discovered that the car was actually used and had some bodywork done to it also. But with the odometer conversion and no way to trace anything we never really knew the true history. Regardless it turned out to be a great car and served us for 15 years so overall not as much of an issue. Just something to keep in mind when anyone is considering these imports.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:41 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 476 Posts

Apparently its incredibly common for cars out of Japan as they are culturally METICULOUS about the condition of their cars, and special cars as a whole and even 37k worth of pebbling is often viewed as too much...but yes it's often a shame as then the originality is just out of the door.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:37 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Apparently its incredibly common for cars out of Japan as they are culturally METICULOUS about the condition of their cars, and special cars as a whole and even 37k worth of pebbling is often viewed as too much...but yes it's often a shame as then the originality is just out of the door.
The current BaT RS looks to be from Italy. There are likely ROW gems, I think the key is the seller.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,089 Posts

fwiw I’ve been in and under several miswa motors imports from Japan most with low miles and most with some paintwork. ALL of them have been immaculate and fully maintained and you see it top and bottom side. The paint work is just a thing they love their cars to look perfect. You drive in Japan you rarely see a car with a dent or scratch let alone a door ding....

Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Prototyp1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
100% agree with everything you said here. To me a full respray implies either the mileage isn’t accurate, it’s been in an accident or its had poor care and with no way to track the history who knows what you’re really buying? I say this because I distinctly remember a grey market german car importer back in the early 80’s that would bring MB’s And Porsche’s Into the US and sell them as new. My dad bought one of these and we slowly discovered that the car was actually used and had some bodywork done to it also. But with the odometer conversion and no way to trace anything we never really knew the true history. Regardless it turned out to be a great car and served us for 15 years so overall not as much of an issue. Just something to keep in mind when anyone is considering these imports.
Original paint in great condition is always the best. However, 2nd comes a quality repaint with no story. Granted we are talking about cars that are almost 30 years old. A repaint can be totally different from here to Japan or Germany. We probably have the most expensive labor rate here but the worst quality and material. I have seen some really good quality work from Japan & Europe that are by far more superior than any work I have seen here. and yes as others mentioned, Japanese are meticulous. Japanese Porsche owners are even more meticulous. That doesn't mean there are not bad examples. Just the ratio are exact opposite from here.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
fwiw I’ve been in and under several miswa motors imports from Japan most with low miles and most with some paintwork. ALL of them have been immaculate and fully maintained and you see it top and bottom side. The paint work is just a thing they love their cars to look perfect. You drive in Japan you rarely see a car with a dent or scratch let alone a door ding....
Could you point me in the right direction to find this importer for Japan 964s please?
Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Could you point me in the right direction to find this importer for Japan 964s please?
you will be jumping through hoops, check out the RS for sale on bringatrailer if you want a pristine car and ready to spend the money
Old 06-15-2020, 12:35 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Aubreu Motors has brought in several nicer Japanese and European imports http://abreumotors.com
Old 06-15-2020, 02:34 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
you will be jumping through hoops, check out the RS for sale on bringatrailer if you want a pristine car and ready to spend the money
Since my plan involves pretty significant modification, I am looking for a C2 without a sunroof as the ideal car.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

So it could just be the ones I saw but almost all the miswa cars I have seen are not as nice as I would expect considering the reported miles and the Japanese obsession for detail. It is only a sample of about 7 or 8 cars but all were cars with some needs and had many layers of paint usually with many shades. Reminds me of most of the cars I looked at during the 80's grey market. Every mom and pop gas station also did collision repair and paintwork. When the grey market first started the cars were exceptional condition but a few years in and every car was 'original paint' and 'needed nothing'. In some cases I looked at some cars my first trip out and passed on them due to their condition. On my return trip the same car was miraculously refinished and had half the miles but still 'original paint' Usually the overspray was so apparent, I loved the look on the sellers face when I asked about the painted muffler and told them I looked at the car months before.

Not saying all the imports are this way. It just is harder to see the entire picture vs a US spec car.

Aubreu has that Tahoe Blue car we all discussed in detail with the poor back end repair the cobalt blue import is a full redo with new interior and paint and many shades. I also don't see any color shift which I would expect. Although the factory magnesium wheels are a nice touch and a cobalt slick top is always interesting.The RSA is a track rat that was converted back to street and is quite apparent. I would be leary of all of those cars.

The history of this car has been known for a long time and hasn't been selling. I am surprised their is no mention of the cars history in the for sale ad. Steve had been trying to sell the car for years.
​​​​​​https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...1-carrera-cup/

No doubt I devalued my car by cutting the roof off and replacing it with a slick top but I don't plan to sell and I have miles of documentation which IMO changes things. These cars are all gussied up without any records or history regarding the paintwork or interior refresh and that always throws up red flags in my book.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale