6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any insight on this 964 C4?

https://www.udriveautomobiles.co/veh...c121f25eaba4df
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

That's priced at the top of the market so I would expect it to be nearly perfect. There are no underbody pictures so it is hard to tell what's going on there, but the damage to the smile might be an easy fix or might be a sign of greater surprises to come. As always, I recommend that you get a thorough PPI from a trusted mechanic with air-cooled experience.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:34 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 230 Posts
Default rsa

Originally Posted by Vegas993
@2swoosh What Anthony said. Cheapest RSA I've seen in years.
got in contact with the dealer if everything checks out I'll fly down and drive her home to NJ, anyone here in that area? I'll compensate for your time, thanks
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
There seems to be no rhyme or reason with that rear panel. I've seen early cars with the new style and late cars with the round style.

If you have seen a 1990 964 with the newer style latch it is a sure bet the panel has been replaced. The factory did not start using the newer style latch until 1991. It is hard to tell on white but when I see a 964 with 0 rock chips and 90k miles I would need paint readings and they don't show you much of the passenger side. The area in the front upper section in the right door jamb looks a bit wavy which is hard and time consuming to fix properly. Also the color matches the passenger door jamb latch area but the drivers side is a bit yellowed. I would suspect something going on here and would be cautious with this one at the asking price.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Here is another with some ?? The miles claim to be low but the seats seem to be reupholstered while the rear of the center console is all messed up, the badging on the rear deck lid sits too high and a full respray. No mention of what actually was done to the top end, early or late style engine or what modifications. Clearly the exhaust and ride height aren't stock $4k to replace the blower motors???

I hope it works out for you but IMO proceed with caution.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:48 AM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
There seems to be no rhyme or reason with that rear panel. I've seen early cars with the new style and late cars with the round style.
Same.

I've seen different ones on different years.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you have seen a 1990 964 with the newer style latch it is a sure bet the panel has been replaced. The factory did not start using the newer style latch until 1991. It is hard to tell on white but when I see a 964 with 0 rock chips and 90k miles I would need paint readings and they don't show you much of the passenger side. The area in the front upper section in the right door jamb looks a bit wavy which is hard and time consuming to fix properly. Also the color matches the passenger door jamb latch area but the drivers side is a bit yellowed. I would suspect something going on here and would be cautious with this one at the asking price.
Though I don't agree with you about the latch.

This car has 100% been repainted.

It say it in it old Ebay ad... it also was sold for 46k back in November..
Old 02-24-2020, 01:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JesusFast
Though I don't agree with you about the latch.

This car has 100% been repainted.

It say it in it old Ebay ad... it also was sold for 46k back in November..
I can assure you that Porsche used the spring loaded round style center latch from the 911's inception till 1990 when the tub went through some significant changes in 1991. The latch on this car was not used until 1991 and it did not have the light/alarm microswitch incorporated until 1992. There was also a different cable release and added second release cable used from 1991 on per the PET. I have looked at hundreds of these cars and the only 1990 or older MY 964's that had the newer style rear latch had extensive rear end damage. Same goes with the front cover in the frunk, there were two styles and the newer style with the plastic screws that hold it in place weren't used until 1992. I have seen 94's with the old style covers and further investigation showed the entire front clip was replaced with bits from an older car.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Buying a 964 reminds me of the grey market cars being imported in the 80’s. You never really know what the cars have been through without having someone with experience doing a thorough inspection of the cars. If lack of accident history and good mechanical order matter I would make sure someone who is familiar with 964’s perform the PPI.

For those of you buyers that are new to 964’s, keep in mind that many 964’s have led a neglected past and often pieced back together as cheaply as possible since their values were low for so many years. Now that they’re worth some money people are applying lipstick on the pig to make some quick money at the expense of the buyer. A respray can hide some surface rust but did that respray include enough tear down to catch any rust inside the fenders and underneath the car? Did that engine reseal include replacement of wear items or did they just throw on new seals to stop major leaks? Due diligence is critical on these cars sadly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
964Luftballoon (02-24-2020), Bearclaw (02-25-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 03:02 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

I can assure you that Porsche used the spring loaded round style center latch from the 911's inception till 1990 when the tub went through some significant changes in 1991. The latch on this car was not used until 1991 and it did not have the light/alarm microswitch incorporated until 1992. There was also a different cable release and added second release cable used from 1991 on per the PET. I have looked at hundreds of these cars and the only 1990 or older MY 964's that had the newer style rear latch had extensive rear end damage. Same goes with the front cover in the frunk, there were two styles and the newer style with the plastic screws that hold it in place weren't used until 1992. I have seen 94's with the old style covers and further investigation showed the entire front clip was replaced with bits from an older car.
I was reading this the other way around...

Please ignore me... But... This photo if from a 1991.. Is this at least correct?

Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is another with some ?? The miles claim to be low but the seats seem to be reupholstered while the rear of the center console is all messed up, the badging on the rear deck lid sits too high and a full respray. No mention of what actually was done to the top end, early or late style engine or what modifications. Clearly the exhaust and ride height aren't stock $4k to replace the blower motors???

I hope it works out for you but IMO proceed with caution.

That suhweeeeeeeeeeeeet tow hook on the front though.............
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Buying a 964 reminds me of the grey market cars being imported in the 80’s. You never really know what the cars have been through without having someone with experience doing a thorough inspection of the cars. If lack of accident history and good mechanical order matter I would make sure someone who is familiar with 964’s perform the PPI.

For those of you buyers that are new to 964’s, keep in mind that many 964’s have led a neglected past and often pieced back together as cheaply as possible since their values were low for so many years. Now that they’re worth some money people are applying lipstick on the pig to make some quick money at the expense of the buyer. A respray can hide some surface rust but did that respray include enough tear down to catch any rust inside the fenders and underneath the car? Did that engine reseal include replacement of wear items or did they just throw on new seals to stop major leaks? Due diligence is critical on these cars sadly.
Well said. When the market turned upwards I made a comment i got chastised for by many that the 964 market had all the earmarkings of the 80's grey market. When I went there first go round there was a smorgasbord of desirable cars for reasonable money (especially with the exchange rate) after the first year of it being big the locals caught on suddenly prices had doubled, speedos turned back and they were all "original paint". LOL My favorite story from that time was this seller was being so adamant how perfect and original his car was. A beautiful 77 turbo in guards red. The look on the guys face when I asked him and pointed out if they painted all mufflers body color? Saw many of the cars I passed on here in the States years later and I never had the heart to tell the owners what I knew about their cars. By 85 everything worth buying had been combed over and the good stuff was stupidly expensive. Sounds familiar

Originally Posted by JesusFast
I was reading this the other way around...

Please ignore me... But... This photo if from a 1991.. Is this at least correct?

That would be correct for a 1991 on 964. In 92 they added a microswitch to the latch replacing the pin switch they had on the lid and incorporated it into the alarm system.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:16 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Hey guys

I own a MY 1992 965 turbo, it has the newer style latch system with the microswitch for the light as noted, and that works as it should, I think. In my 993 when the rear lid opened the engine compartment light comes on, as does the interior light, open the frunk and the interior light comes on, the alarm works in the same circuit.

On My 1992 965 turbo Open the frunk and the interior light comes on, open the rear lid no interior light. I did a simple test. I lock the doors and now the factory alarm is set with the windows open and I reach in and pop the frunk and the alarm goes sounds, as it should.

Now I did the same test on my 1992 965 on the rear lid. I reset the alarm and removed the rear tail light and used the cable to pop the rear lid and no alarm or interior light, the light in the engine compartment came on like it should. I did the same test on the 993 in both front and rear lids and the alarm sounds off and the interior light comes on. Can someone shed some light on this? lol
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I never checked my turbo but I know the micro switch activates the alarm in my 93 C2. There are many things different about the turbos vs the base carrera so it might not work the same on the turbo. I will try to pull the wiring diagrams and see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
trice9 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:30 PM
TCallahan
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

tread lightly on that udrive black car it was listed many different time on the website. When we first started looking a bit over 1 year ago I recall seeing it fitted with a 993 style rear spoiler, which probably explains the carrera4 placement, and many other bizarre upgrades. At one point they had photos of it stripped down and in a body repair shop. Admittedly I do not know the cars as well as many of you on reenlist, but the picture posted on their site looking into the spare wheel area seems to have uneven texture on those large rails. The passenger side sheet metal looks slightly wrinkled and clearly there is new tape on the wiring harness going to the module in that area. I almost bought a different car out of Florida and the pre-purchase inspection found damage in the front are similar to this car. Otherwise I would have likely never noticed! When we asked them some very basic question regarding a 997 turbo paint metre depths and the ignition ranges, my sales person wasn't able to answer the questions clearly which I found peculiar and wasn't terribly helpful otherwise. Frankly I was given the impression my questions were not important or nothing to worry about. What module is that in the photo?

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale