Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Can we change the title of this thread to:

"The Great Bitching and Moaning and Arguing About AMERICAN 964s for Sale Thread"
The following 8 users liked this post by Spyerx:
911Jetta (10-24-2019), 964Luftballoon (10-25-2019), dsan (10-24-2019), gfunk (10-25-2019), jeff33702 (10-23-2019), lcrain (10-25-2019), Mikke_Possu (10-24-2019), Ralph3. (10-24-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueC2
It is very tempting to add a NB twin but I would just end up swapping out the D90s for Cup 1s, adding coilovers and lowering, sourcing some aero mirrors and basically ruining the special all original time capsule that this car appears to be.

I am no expert to it is likely some of the others here will notice things that I haven't but the crests on the Wheel Caps have faded out. My 94 C4 has ~54k miles and the wheel cap crests look perfect. Does this mean the car likely sat in the sun a lot?
Actually no. I just got back from driving the new 992 on track, C2 vs C4, 991.2 vs 992 etc and I am a bit tired. BTW the new 992 is an amazingly capable 911 it takes it to an entirely different level for a base 911 but where not here to discuss that.

The crested caps you see are very hard to come by and worth more than the D90's. These were not an XD4 option on the D90's. These differ from the 993 versions which had black lettering PORSCHE vs gold. The 993 version is easier to come by. These where hand painted and polishing them can easily remove the paint especially the red. Car looks Ok but I have no energy to look it over. It has some need of some paint correction. I don't think the caps have any indication of what the car has been through since these are most likely not original to the car..

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Can we change the title of this thread to:

"The Great Bitching and Moaning and Arguing About AMERICAN 964s for Sale Thread"
LOL, Yes this gets a bit ridiculous but it is an education for the uninitiated to learn about the pitfalls of these cars, which seem to have taken many off guard. I see a lot of these some of them are 300 point concours cars some are salvaged title pieces of chard toast. I admit I'm programmed from years of Concours judging and viewing all cars for sale against a perfect example. I see all vintages of perfect restorations and survivor cars so I expect when someone asks premium dollars they deliver. More and more I see the wool pulled over buyers eyes that have done some serious homework but become emotional and are prayed on by unscrupulous sellers. So yes this will only get worse over time. This is what killed the grey market in the 1980's. Eventually the wolves came out and took crap cars gussied them up and sold them for top dollar until the market became tired of the BS. We allow it to happen then shame on us. IMO.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 PM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
More and more I see the wool pulled over buyers eyes that have done some serious homework but become emotional and are prayed on by unscrupulous sellers. .
Unless you are an expert (and very few of us are), and you buy a $50, 60K, 30 year old used car without having it properly inspected, you get what you deserve. A fool and his money are soon parted has been a saying for thousands of years, and with good reason.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:26 PM
NACHTBLAU
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I absolutely love this color combo too. I looked at the pictures pretty closely almost immediately after the car was listed and I would bet money that the mileage on this car is not accurate. The seats were without question recovered recently as the material looks impossibly new for a 30 year old car and the fitment doesn’t match what I typically see on these cars from the factory. There are also signs of heat damage to the interior which would only happen from long term exposure to sun. The engine bay is way too dirty and I think the car was driven on salt covered roads. Also some engine trim is poorly painted and shouldn’t be which makes me think someone is hiding corrosion. The carpet on the doors looks a bit tired as compared to the carpet in the cockpit. It looks like it’s been through a partial restoration which is fine but at 20k miles it shouldn’t need it.

Marine,

i enjoy learning from you and cobalt. Can you share more specifics on the interior heat damage and the poorly painted engine trim pieces? So I would know how to spot them. Thanks again.

Ryan
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts
Default 964 Targa

Here’s one to dissect: way more than what I am willing to pay for anything with a soft top. So passed on an instant. Looking forward to the keen reviews....

https://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/51857
Old 10-24-2019, 12:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueC2
Marine,

i enjoy learning from you and cobalt. Can you share more specifics on the interior heat damage and the poorly painted engine trim pieces? So I would know how to spot them. Thanks again.

Ryan
The things that stood out to me included:
- The Drivers side seatbelt holder is warped and is discolored which comes across as heavy sun exposure
- The door card has a crack above the window actuator which in itself isn’t a big deal but it appears that the material has shrunk back
- the carpet on the door pockets appears worn/tired as compared to the carpeting on the floor which looks new
- The fan shroud has a clamp around it that looks like someone slathered black paint over it, this should be a plated piece from the factory.
- none of the plated parts in the engine bay retain their original cad plating which is usually a sign of salt exposure, high mileage or both. As a comparison my 70k mile engine still has 98% of its cad plating in place, makes it hard to believe a car with 1/3 the miles could look so rough
- It could be glare but to me the dash appears warped in two spots
- The drivers door seal is cracked (not torn but cracked), not uncommon but it would be on a lower mileage car.
- The paint inside the door sills and surroundings and the paint in the frunk are tired looking and have lost their gloss

None of this would be a deal breaker and most can be resolved without significant expense however I personally believe that none of this should exist on a car that has such low mileage. It would make me question the mileage and look for other signs of potential higher miles. A proper PPI and paint meter would confirm one way or the other.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:10 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Here’s one to dissect: way more than what I am willing to pay for anything with a soft top. So passed on an instant. Looking forward to the keen reviews....

Wowzers, PTS and 16k miles gets you that number? I'm guessing that car is going to sitting for awhile or in the owners case if it's consignment, getting free parking
Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just saw this one...seems nice but I haven’t had time to really look it over, sunroof delete, low mileage and price seems in line if all checks out:
Edit -
and no bumperettes...

https://myspeeder.com/vehicleDetail/...36f38eb#anchor

Last edited by Lorenzoh; 10-24-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:58 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

I really hate correcting grammar but this one made me cringe:

Weather you are looking to add to a collection or enjoy a top off Sunday drive, this 964 Targa is perfect for either.”
Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

Weather you are looking to add to a collection or enjoy a top off Sunday drive, this 964 Targa is perfect for either.”
Now correcting people’s grammar? you are something else man, I have to say one of the most dense unlikable characters to come across in the forums. If this forum was properly moderated I’m sure you would have been banned long ago.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:33 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by stutt911
Now correcting people’s grammar? you are something else man, I have to say one of the most dense unlikable characters to come across in the forums. If this forum was properly moderated I’m sure you would have been banned long ago.
dude you need to take it back a notch.
talk about DENSE....I just said I hate correcting grammar...
Read much???
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by SP2000
Unless you are an expert (and very few of us are), and you buy a $50, 60K, 30 year old used car without having it properly inspected, you get what you deserve. A fool and his money are soon parted has been a saying for thousands of years, and with good reason.
I agree 100% I always state a PPI is a must but what is equally as important is that it is performed by a shop that is well versed in 964. There are many independent shops that work on Porsche's it doesn't mean they will pick up on or note many of the things I point out. I can't tell you how many I know of that had a PPI performed and so much was missed. I do PPI's for people on many early versions of 911. I also have seen cars PPI'd by reputable shops that missed a lot of what I consider obvious issues. Asking to have a PPI done means different things to different shops and you need to be specific with what you want inspected. Also many mechanics have no clue to what they are looking at when it comes to paint or bodywork. Many shops shy away from doing PPI's these days making it hard to find an expert to verify condition. The only true way to know for sure is to educate yourself. I know a number of people who buy cars in rough condition pay for the Earl Sheib paint special, tidy up a few things and some dare I say even go to lengths to cover things up that are hard for even experts to uncover. I have also had some sellers try to contact me when I am doing a PPI and insist the accident damage wasn't an issue and I shouldn't say anything offering me money to say so. So although I agree a fool is easily separated from his money, we have BaT to confirm that there are people that do their do diligence and are still taken by some.

I am not even going to look at it. Mooty makes a great point of you buy the seller and all I have to say is of all the cars sold by Isrringhausen to friends of mine, they were actually all in far better condition than advertised and easy to work with. I still suggest a PPI by a qualified shop no matter who you buy from.

By now there is enough info in this thread and others to educate the novice and hopefully fewer people will end up with cars with more needs than the buy in cost.

Last edited by cobalt; 10-26-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
LOL, Yes this gets a bit ridiculous but it is an education for the uninitiated to learn about the pitfalls of these cars, which seem to have taken many off guard. I see a lot of these some of them are 300 point concours cars some are salvaged title pieces of chard toast. I admit I'm programmed from years of Concours judging and viewing all cars for sale against a perfect example. I see all vintages of perfect restorations and survivor cars so I expect when someone asks premium dollars they deliver. More and more I see the wool pulled over buyers eyes that have done some serious homework but become emotional and are prayed on by unscrupulous sellers. So yes this will only get worse over time. This is what killed the grey market in the 1980's. Eventually the wolves came out and took crap cars gussied them up and sold them for top dollar until the market became tired of the BS. We allow it to happen then shame on us. IMO.
I actually don't mind picking the cars apart, reality is unless these have lived in a bubble they will all have flaws to one level or another. What a buyer doesn't want is surprises... Personally I prefer cars with flaws and character. Mostly because when I show up at a Porsche club meet, cars and coffee, car show, or canyon run... the "purists" sit back and pick it apart. Gives them something to do :-) While I'm out driving the crap out of them!

What is irritating in this thread is the handful that are constantly throwing personal attacks and jabs at each other... it gets old.
The following 4 users liked this post by Spyerx:
911Jetta (10-24-2019), 964Luftballoon (10-25-2019), dukmon (10-24-2019), Ralph3. (10-24-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:50 AM
gfunk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your way off base here. I didn’t say anything negative about the car in question. I simply pointed out the “just done” statement. Clearly your idea of just done and mine differ.
Please point me to where in the TOS it stipulates one must be a paying member after X number of posts.
Thanks. 🙄

Those in glass houses...
Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

appears to be the same seller/owner from the BAT auction; which indicated top end done Feb 2018. But the pelican ad says top end was “just done”... almost 2 years ago now.
This car has been on Craigs list down in TX for $55k ..... in that listing there is no mention of the accident or that the car needs brake work.

This car is a mid $40's car maybe a up to $49 or $50 in this market but not more. The fact the seller has changed up the story and omitted things is not exactly inspiring.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale