Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Sold today for $77.5K plus buyers fee, goes to show that the 964 coupe market remains very strong.

The fact that this car sold for this much and has had undisclosed accident damage resulting in the replacement of the rear center engine brace or the entire rear clip says people are desperate to buy anything that looks nice. When i purchased my track car I spent months deciding if it was worth bringing back from the dead. I thought it was a futile effort in 2015 today clearly I could have fixed it up and made a decent profit. Although I am far happier with my track build.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:37 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
The fact that this car sold for this much and has had undisclosed accident damage resulting in the replacement of the rear center engine brace or the entire rear clip says people are desperate to buy anything that looks nice. When i purchased my track car I spent months deciding if it was worth bringing back from the dead. I thought it was a futile effort in 2015 today clearly I could have fixed it up and made a decent profit. Although I am far happier with my track build.
I keep seeing "The mods" on this particular car. What about the mods made this car for that much money with 124,000 miles? Is the market continuing to fly or what am I missing?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I keep seeing "The mods" on this particular car. What about the mods made this car for that much money with 124,000 miles? Is the market continuing to fly or what am I missing?
I was thinking the same thing. I think this sellers reputation had a lot to do with the final number, he's probably one of the more known sellers on BaT.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

It seems to be the BaT syndrome. Not sure why but the good cars sell at average prices and the cars with sorted pasts and bad work sell for a premium. I don't get it either and I have followed this market for nearly 2 decades. There seems to be no end in sight.

I am not sure why the car brought as much as it did. The engine work is OK not what I would do to update it and not what the factory TSB suggests. The big brakes are a nice touch but you can upgrade them with used parts for a few grand.

If I listed all the upgrades on my 60k mile 93 and included the original parts put it on BaT I would expect it to fetch north of 6 figures at this rate. I love my car but that is just crazy when you can buy a decent 3.3L 964 turbo for not much more.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
It seems to be the BaT syndrome. Not sure why but the good cars sell at average prices and the cars with sorted pasts and bad work sell for a premium. I don't get it either and I have followed this market for nearly 2 decades. There seems to be no end in sight.

I am not sure why the car brought as much as it did. The engine work is OK not what I would do to update it and not what the factory TSB suggests. The big brakes are a nice touch but you can upgrade them with used parts for a few grand.

If I listed all the upgrades on my 60k mile 93 and included the original parts put it on BaT I would expect it to fetch north of 6 figures at this rate. I love my car but that is just crazy when you can buy a decent 3.3L 964 turbo for not much more.
BAT s*it crazy. This is my favorite example. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-15/

BAT is the best place to sell a 964 these days. Lots of cars coming out of the woodwork due to the increased demand.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:18 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
BAT s*it crazy. This is my favorite example. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-15/

BAT is the best place to sell a 964 these days. Lots of cars coming out of the woodwork due to the increased demand.

But that one had the really neat small batch, organic, heirloom, craft made wide hips and super hipster decal package!!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I also don't get it. I have my 94 for sale. 80,000mi. No engine rebuild, but leak down #s are all really close. 6-8% across all cylinders. uses about .5Qt of oil a year or 2500mi. the right mods I am told. after the auction fee, it sold for more than the asking price on my car. strange market...
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Here is my contribution. it looks clean to me but i'll leave that for you all to decide...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-18/
Old 06-07-2019, 02:09 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

What do you guys think a mint green (original paint, great condition) 1992 C2 with 18,900 miles is worth? Obviously 'all the money' but how much exactly do you think 'all the money' is... I'm seriously considering this and not sure how crazy I am. Please help lol
Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

What do you guys think a mint green (original paint, great condition) 1992 C2 with 18,900 miles is worth? Obviously 'all the money' but how much exactly do you think 'all the money' is... I'm seriously considering this and not sure how crazy I am. Please help lol
I think this car is a good comp for you, in that it's low mileage, great condition and unusual and appealing color: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-2/ It sold for 91K after fees.

Your car is lower mileage and mint green is an even more desirable color, so I would guess on at least a 15% premium over that car. Depending on interior color, condition, mods, etc.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Just throwing a number out there... $125K.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
I also don't get it. I have my 94 for sale. 80,000mi. No engine rebuild, but leak down #s are all really close. 6-8% across all cylinders. uses about .5Qt of oil a year or 2500mi. the right mods I am told. after the auction fee, it sold for more than the asking price on my car. strange market...
I like your car a lot and I'm surprised that it hasn't sold. Do you have it listed anywhere other than RL?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtronics

Id say that would be pretty close. Mint green with those miles all original, your talking about a buyer who is going to add this to a collection and rarely drive it...if ever. Or, the buyer would be a broker who knows big time collectors looking to add to their collection. It’d be a shame to see something as beautiful as that get locked away...sell it to me and I promise to daily drive it 😉
Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
I think this car is a good comp for you, in that it's low mileage, great condition and unusual and appealing color: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-2/ It sold for 91K after fees.

Your car is lower mileage and mint green is an even more desirable color, so I would guess on at least a 15% premium over that car. Depending on interior color, condition, mods, etc.
That seems like a pretty good price although I would have preferred a different interior color. Wish I would have seen this when it was up for sale. The mint green has black interior. Do you think more than double the miles presents only a 15% discount at that range?

Originally Posted by Dtronics
That's kind of where I was at, but he's saying he has a black one with 30k miles that he was offered 110k on and they didn't take it.

They are asking.... ready for this.................. ?????? ......... $170k... ALL the money like I said. Says he has 20 guys who have reached out to him but that's car sales for you. I'm "next in line".
I'd probably do 140k-ish because it really is perfect and verified no paint work, but just having a really hard time getting my head around the numbers. I'd spend it if I knew that's actually what the car was worth and was heading north from there, but I've yet to have anyone tell me "yeah, I think it's worth 170k"
Not sure there's a single comp for something like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:44 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Id say that would be pretty close. Mint green with those miles all original, your talking about a buyer who is going to add this to a collection and rarely drive it...if ever. Or, the buyer would be a broker who knows big time collectors looking to add to their collection. It’d be a shame to see something as beautiful as that get locked away...sell it to me and I promise to daily drive it ��
I'd make sure to drive it and with the rest of my stable getting rotation, wouldn't be adding a ton of miles to it.... I might just have to be patient and wait out the impulse and see if it drops at all. I don't even think he knows what it's worth and the first guy "had something come up" so I'm next in line. You know how that goes... guys say anything when you're in the car game.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale