Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This car has been on my local craigslist for a long time (maybe a year?). The owner was originally trying to sell it in the modified state that it was in the video. It had orange wheels, rollcage, and Carrera decals. He brought it back closer to stock and then listed it again on Craigslist. I guess he hasn’t had too many bites so it’s now on eBay.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:17 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
$60k with a simple top end on an old style 90 engine? Doesn't look like what was done is adequate IMO to consider it a good top end job with 132k miles. I would expect it to be leaking oil in a few months.
Do you know the builder mentioned and you have questions about his work? The bill in the ad is for a full rebuild to the tune of $17,000. It looks like everything but P&C were replaced. I don't have any knowledge of the build myself but that seems like a fairly aggressive statement unless you know something we don't, in which case do tell.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA

Actually it does say head gasket update, but does that really matter so much in value? I’m confused as I’m seeing these cars selling for $50,000 to $55,000 all day long. How can $59,000 be that far off?
If that car was a C2 it would have sold very quickly. I think the only reason it hasn't sold at this price yet with the recent engine rebuild is because its a C4 with these miles
Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
xxxxxx.
Ad pulled. Too much noise. Will work on pocket listings and brokers.

Oh and dreamers. Jesus.

I pay up but i'm also not an idiot.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ad pulled. Too much noise. Will work on pocket listings and brokers.

Oh and dreamers. Jesus.

I pay up but i'm also not an idiot.
hahaha chris - be careful what u ask for, you might just get it, and then some
Old 10-21-2018, 02:28 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

cracks me up how folks with c4's run ads with volumes and volumes of info but they do their damndest to obscure the fact it is c4.... like a buyer paying 50-60 grand will be fooled???
Old 10-21-2018, 10:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Unless there is paperwork they aren't showing I see nothing other than fly cutting the heads and valve replacement as needed new seals etc. The most basic of engine work and IMO not adequate to bring the money asked. I have seen gen 1 engine rebuilds like this last but I would not pay a premium for it.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 249 Posts

Who knows anything about this midnight blue turbo-look C4? Has anyone seen it in person?

https://www.luxsport.com/1994-porsch...body-c-417.htm
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Who knows anything about this midnight blue turbo-look C4? Has anyone seen it in person?

I've seen it in person. What would you like to know? Pretty sure he's had it a while, which is likely a reflection of the miles, if not something else of which I am unaware. PPI, PPI, PPI.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Pictures show it as being very rough. I suspect full respray and possible recoverd seats. As said with the reputation of the seller a thorough PPI by a mechanic familiar with 964's. Being a 94 all body panels and significant parts should have vin stickers. Check to see that they exist.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 249 Posts

Pictures show it as being very rough. I suspect full respray and possible recoverd seats. As said with the reputation of the seller a thorough PPI by a mechanic familiar with 964's. Being a 94 all body panels and significant parts should have vin stickers. Check to see that they exist.
Yup. I'm familiar with the Luxsport reputation, but with all of these cars it's a matter of learning what is wrong rather than if anything is wrong at all.
Figured I might save on a drive and a PPI if someone else had already done the legwork!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yup. I'm familiar with the Luxsport reputation, but with all of these cars it's a matter of learning what is wrong rather than if anything is wrong at all.
Figured I might save on a drive and a PPI if someone else had already done the legwork!
The lighting alone used to take the pictures was done to cover up the damaged paint. It has marks and damage, dings etc. There are clear paint lines in the door jams and evidence of overspray. Looking closer at the seats the material appears to be original but have damage that is being covered up by the dye work. The bezel on the speedometer is dinged and damaged and sitting crooked. (that always throws up ?? in my book) Looks as though the option sticker under the hood has been removed and replaced. The vin stickers should be quite apparent on the doors and yet no signs of them. Why not take pictures? It is missing the front mud flaps.

I would ask for paint meter readings that should tell you the car has had paint work and had been treated roughly after. I doubt miles are correct but the paintwork alone should show the car is way over priced.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Sucram
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I’ve got this 964 C4 cabrio ‘90 in immaculate condition in and out with maintenance records since day one. I love this car...the way it looks and handles...simply amazing! What an analog experience! Love this early 964s!

I currently live in Miami but originally from Europe and chances are that I will be relocating any time soon hence I would sell my two cars (the 2nd is a 996 C4S coupe black on black ...also perfect in and out and with all maintenance e done)

..not sure how cumbersome it might be to shipped them to Spain and get them running three...has anyone gone through this experience before? All and all I am willing to accept offers if there is someone interested in the car. 106k miles and running perfectly. More than 21k usd in maintenance done since day one and cosmetically in excellent shape. Paint made to sample (linen grey). Amazing color. Let me know what you think and we can chat. Sharing some pics here. All the best and great community of enthusiasts by the way!! Keep up the good work and contributions!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’m seeing the same things Anthony is seeing, this appears to be a clear case fo lipstick on a pig. Someone doused the engine with tire shine and then they dimmed the lights so you can see some reflection but really no detail. The doors jams and details like the shift **** are giveaways that the the car has had a hard life. It’s unfortunate as it’s a beautiful color combo and being a widebody it has to be pretty rare too. Maybe a good restoration candidate at the right price assuming it hasn’t had any major accidents.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The lighting alone used to take the pictures was done to cover up the damaged paint. It has marks and damage, dings etc. There are clear paint lines in the door jams and evidence of overspray. Looking closer at the seats the material appears to be original but have damage that is being covered up by the dye work. The bezel on the speedometer is dinged and damaged and sitting crooked. (that always throws up ?? in my book) Looks as though the option sticker under the hood has been removed and replaced. The vin stickers should be quite apparent on the doors and yet no signs of them. Why not take pictures? It is missing the front mud flaps.

I would ask for paint meter readings that should tell you the car has had paint work and had been treated roughly after. I doubt miles are correct but the paintwork alone should show the car is way over priced.
Cobalt you are good.... very good. Very impressive I have to say. Just checked the website and it says its under deposit. The speedometer looks like #$%&. Wonder if the seller took pictures under bright lights and it didn't show as well or is the an effort to truly trying cover up blemishes. Isn't there supposed to be a sticker on left side of the engine bay also?

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale